Would there be interest in a dodge TBI setup made for our cars?

Would there be interest in a dodge TBI setup made for our cars?

• yes, I would love to try TBI. It sounds affordable

Votes: 66 39.3%
  • only if it includes everything

Votes: 39 23.2%
  • I would take a partical kit/wiring harness, since I like tinkering and figuring things out

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • No I like carburated cars

Votes: 54 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
GM based system.....this is what a former co-worker used in his Jeep.

I'm intersted.

I read your thread on dippy, but you didn't post the fuel economy numbers.

I'm a big fan of F/I, but some of the conversion work kind of scares me (and I'm an IT analyst).
Also, "Just a little more" work, means vastly different things to different people.

I already have about 80% of an MPI system (2000 durango 5,9 pulled warranty motor), and plan to use that in the future, but I'm definately interested in the TBI conversion as it sounds a little less intimidating.

I didn't post fuel economy numbers because I haven't done any real good tests like I would like to show for comparison to carburators, but lets just say on country roads its doing alot better for MPG then the carburator

If I did make a kit it would be after I got mixed driving numbers from the M body I did the conversion on, after all you can't sell something you don't back 100%

What GM cars would you junkyard shop for a 1bbl setup? (Early 90's cavalier?) I know jack diddly about GM's other than the fact that their wiring was superior to out Mopars, and their parts are dirt cheap in comparison.

I'm not sure which GM cars had the 1 BBL TBI but I do know they made them, the early chrysler 4 cylinder TBI actually isn't that bad of a setup and its a one barrel, I would assume the single injector could be switched with one of a 360 to correct the air/fuel ratio

Interested in the technology. There is a older guy here in town that has a beautiful 66 Dart vert. with a 340 and the GM tbi modification. I need to pay him a visit and check it out further.
I had a Holley kit on my last 454 powered tool truck. It worked good and was fun to tune the control module. (It just had dials to turn)

The slant has horrible fuel dist. Man if tbi were used I'd build a custom intake manifold,have two groups of 3 runner's and two tbi unit's.

I too have thought of fuel injecting a slant and building a custom manifold to accomodate it, but I intend to use my '57 Pontiac injection for inspiration and do it in steel with port injecton bungs at the base of equal length runners coming off a relatively large plenum with a mounting flange for the throttle body. The doner for everything else will be a Ford EEC-IV from a 3.8 six cylinder. If necessary I will meld the slant and Ford distributors, but my preference is to find a doner with mass air and a DIS ignition and eliminate the distributor entirely.
You have to understand my disdane for anything TBI after my in depth experience with the Dodge version, and running up against it in other makes as a used car dealer.

my brother ordered that MSD atomic unit for his truck...its on back order and wont ship out until march 30th.....so once he gets it we will do a mini write up...

There's been some serious talk over on slantsix.org about adapting the MAF-based EEC-IV engine management system off a '96-'97 Ford 300CID inline Six.

If you are shopping around for stuff, here is a website for a guy I met at a cruise-in. He had his setup on a 73 Barracuda so I stopped to talked to him. Knew a ton about Mopes and was a pretty stand-up guy IMHO. If there is enough interest, perhaps he can help usher your quest along.

He is not cheap, but then again, quality pieces command a premium price. Just figured I would pass it along.

www.fbthrottlebodies.com

While the MSD Atomic EFI is a good bit of money I would probably get it if i was builing a car.

Not me. If I were doing a from-scratch buildup and investing the time and $$$ in a ready-built, custom system, in that case it would definitely be port fuel injection and not TBI. The attraction of TBI is that it's an inexpensive way of stepping away from a carburetor, that doesn't require extensive engine hard-part mods. That advantage goes away if we're talking about doing a complete buildup and paying big bucks for an off-the-shelf system.

I think the point to a tbi swap is that it's cheap,can be done by anyone,and uses part's that are readily available. Heck the system I need is in my G.M.C winter beater truck.

I was lookning into a megasquirt sysem. Honestly this suit's me better!

Wonder if you could connect the early style EVIC and get computer calculated MPG?

I've seen overhead consoles in some 5th Aves with what appeares to be the same display as the 84ish Chrysler Lazer, which did monitor MPG. I never thought to check if they were TBI cars.

I agree with Dan- junk yard, weekend FI swap, not full bore custom fab high buck GM/Ford reprogram, etc.

Goals would be-

+eliminate cold starting issues
+eliminate frequent retuning
+gain modest fuel economy
+still be able to source partts store/junk yard parts from late M and truck donors.
+price point under say $300-400?

Wonder if you could connect the early style EVIC and get computer calculated MPG?

I've seen overhead consoles in some 5th Aves with what appeares to be the same display as the 84ish Chrysler Lazer, which did monitor MPG. I never thought to check if they were TBI cars.

I agree with Dan- junk yard, weekend FI swap, not full bore custom fab high buck GM/Ford reprogram, etc.

Goals would be-

+eliminate cold starting issues
+eliminate frequent retuning
+gain modest fuel economy
+still be able to source partts store/junk yard parts from late M and truck donors.
+price point under say $300-400?

that would be my goal, something made from all chrysler parts that doesn't have to be reprogramed and such that way so I don't have to spend a ton of time into so I could keep the cost down, I would like to price a full kit around $400 or less depending on cost of materials to me.

I would like to do it with kits ranging from the harness only to the whole kit

As for M bodies they never came with FI of any kind right up to the ending year in 1989, some early 80's imperials (not on M body platform) had a form of FI but I have never seen one

that would be my goal, something made from all chrysler parts

Still can't imagine why you'd go to market with a lousy system that's not very common in wrecking yards (Dodge truck/van '88-'91 only) versus a much better system that's common as dirt in wrecking yards (GM). For the low-buck, get-away-from-the-carburetor idea you have in mind, I don't think any special programming would really be needed. Running a stock or near-stock 318? Use a computer and injectors from a GM 305. Running a stock or near-stock 360? Use a computer and injectors from a GM 350. Ten or thirteen cubic inches' difference in piston displacement isn't going to be anywhere near enough to spoil things.

I respect you, Mr Dan, but if I'm gonna put GM parts on my Dodge, I should probably just buy a GM.
I saw a REALLY nice teal 67 Skylark non-GS 340 4 bbll car today for sale :)

I won't run a 9" either, although I see SO MANY cheap 8.8 limited slip disk brake explorer axles I want to cry.
Shame that they work easier in our cars, than new Dakota/Durango and Jeep parts :(

I respect you, Mr Dan, but if I'm gonna put GM parts on my Dodge, I should probably just buy a GM.

Everyone's going to draw that line somewhere. Me, where I see clear engineering superiority in systems originally installed on other-brand cars, I'll consider adapting. See HEI upgrade (and linked "why is this better?" article) for an example.

I thought/am still thinking about it for the Spacer,....Late 80's pre magnum 360 set-up offa truck onto the 340,...cause I plan on drivin,...not showin...

Still can't imagine why you'd go to market with a lousy system that's not very common in wrecking yards (Dodge truck/van '88-'91 only) versus a much better system that's common as dirt in wrecking yards (GM).

well since I have a chrysler only yard at my fingertips (less then 10 miles away) and everything is priced very reasonably since I am friends with the owner (you couln't buy GM for my prices) and each time he gets a TBI truck in or something of interest he lets me know and lets me have first dibs on parts

some people prefer dodge parts, I'm not against creating a GM TBI kit but frankly I can't get GM parts at reasonable prices around here. With the M body the GM style TBI wouldn't have fit since the GM TBI unit is physically taller I have just enough room for a modified breather stud (original was too tall) and a 4 BBl air cleaner and maybe if I'm lucky 1/4" to spare

I don't know how a GM TBI unit would fit in an early A if a mopar one is tight in an M body

I don't have any trouble with my carb. I wouln't give up my carb unless it was for port injection.

I saw a REALLY nice teal 67 Skylark non-GS 340 4 bbll car today for sale :)

I won't run a 9" either, although I see SO MANY cheap 8.8 limited slip disk brake explorer axles I want to cry.
Shame that they work easier in our cars, than new Dakota/Durango and Jeep parts :(
If someone makes a better mouse trap why not use it? If you are going to start talking about efi swaps & what not I would think the idea would be to make it as beneficial as possible. I have spoke to http://www.massfloefi.com/ a few times. Last I spoke to him he basically using a Ford ECU with a Chebby (?) Mass air meter. Not saying to buy his kit, but if someone had the knowledge to figure out how to wire it up it would not be that hard to pull it off. Edelbrock efi intake, FAST throttle body, A MAF meter similar to his, which I belive he said was a modified GM (?) unit and you would have a MAF MPI setup which is pretty much light years ahead of the TBI stuff IMO. For that matter, with a bit of creativity don't see why you could not use the FORD MAS connected to an airbox like MeMike has in his Valiant....sorry for the ramble....forgot something, during one of my conversations with the guy at Massflo he said that basically all it take to make the Ford wiring harness works is some pin juggling at the ecu. Have some stuff to do today but i will look for my notes I took when I talked to him......again, sorry for rambling......

The OP wanted to know if there was interest in a tech guide, harness, or kit to use Mopar TBI on earlier carb equipped vehicles.

I'm interested.

What's happening here, and what seems to always happen on 318 build threads is called "scope creep". The original post is about a $300 cam upgrade that will work with stock valves, and the first 7 replies have the guy swapping in a 360 with a stoker kit and forged pistons, buying aluminum heads, and installing a converter and 4.56 gears to go with the custom grind roller cam that was recommended in reply number 2.

Why stop at MPI, why not go SMPI...why not direct?
Surely with just "a little more" work, you could simply move the injector bungs (which we don't have to F with on TBI) from the intake to the head.

While we're gathering our GM MPI units, why not just grab the 350, and install that at the same time?

The OP wanted to know if there was interest in a tech guide, harness, or kit to use Mopar TBI on earlier carb equipped vehicles.

I'm interested.

What's happening here, and what seems to always happen on 318 build threads is called "scope creep". The original post is about a $300 cam upgrade that will work with stock valves, and the first 7 replies have the guy swapping in a 360 with a stoker kit and forged pistons, buying aluminum heads, and installing a converter and 4.56 gears to go with the custom grind roller cam that was recommended in reply number 2.

Surely with just "a little more" work, you could simply move the injector bungs (which we don't have to F with on TBI) from the intake to the head.

While we're gathering our GM MPI units, why not just grab the 350, and install that at the same time?

Yes and no. I agree that the topic has gone in some off directions at some points, but there has been some good info laid out about why 66plyValiant is going the way he is. Keeping in mind we are talking about TBI and not other, more advanced, forms of injection, I say it's a good option if the prices are reasonable. He has a good supply of parts and the knowledge to make a go of it. I say do it and wish him all the best.

I have a better understanding of the GM systems and am learning more on them as I have two complete JY sourced units that are going into some of my projects. (My old GMC parts chaser will probably get the first one). I ask questions and make statements based on what I have learned, if not just to help others but also to gain more knowledge. If I have offended anyone by my questions or comments, I apologize. I have learned some good things here.

What have you learned?

I'm interested.

Hmmm,direct injected 451 anyone? The result's cant be argued. Makes more power,better fuel economy it's really a no brainer,but I dont know if it's as simple as just drilling and tapping into the chamber. How critical is where the inj is placed? Will the inj hit the piston or a valve?

Anyways,I really like the tbi swap,will continue to lok into chip burning etc. I want to learn how to do this myself,and a chip burner might make me a few $$ burning chip's for other's.

Any idea what the going rate is for a guy to get a chip burned? I've never had it done..

-
Back