2015 SRT Barracuda- who is saving up for one?

-
T%hing about it is, oboma was bragging last night in the 2nd debate that he and his EPA have MANDATED lower avgerage fuel milage so American cars can compete on the global market. Think Tata Nano kinda small. Muscle cars, PU trucks, SUVs SELL and that bozo puts in small car, small engine requirements. they will probably up the "gas guzzler" tax and still we will not be able to buy big HP.

The loser just doesn't get what AMERICANS want.

:eek:ops:

Wrong section...

...and it's not as bad as you think.

People have been complaining in exactly this way since fuel economy standards went into place...yet the V8 survives and is better than ever.
My Mustang makes 412hp at the crank and I have personally measured between 22 and 28mpg (6MT, 3.55 axle) in mixed driving! Thank you CAFE for inspiring this kind of development.

Modern IC engines are kicking *** and burning less gas. :D

Besides, we need to lower our demand for gasoline and it's in our interest to move forward on this voluntarily before lack of supply forces us to and we're caught with no gas at all.

So if the new standards mean that Chrysler offers a turbo 4cyl version of the Barracuda in addition to the V8 (and there will be a V8 so long as people want them)...I'm fine with that.

"If Dodge is going to copy the chebby camaro and call it a Barracuda I will croak. "

The up and coming boy racers might like the car. Who Knows ? Us old timers, well, LMAO! Challenger and most 70's Dodge and Plymouths copy GM styling . Those 1959-1964 Dodge styling is Love or Hate it. Same chit different day for Chrysler.

1: ... You just appear to be one of those guys unhappy with anything Chrysler tries to do.

3: this is another problem many are having. Your making a direct appearance comparison of the cars and not what they are/were.

Ask your self honestly. What was the old Dart? If you did not come up with an answer like this:

"A basic transportation car that started with a base engine and no frills."

Then you have totally missed it. The old Darts were nothing more than that with a few performance versions made. Remember, adding to the old Darts check list added price from the base as we all know. Se of the most popular upgrades were:

Carpet instead of rubber mats
Power steering and brakes
A/C
Added drivetrain power ment a upgrade to a 318 as the first step, sometimes the only step up.

If you can not make a direct compare from the above
To today's Dart, a basic people mover that starts with nearly no options and is being sold dirt cheap, you have and will continue to miss it and
Probably will never get it.

If ya don't like the car for another reason, looks, a Fiat intervention/Dodge in Fiat clothing, to small, ugly, what ever, that is fine.

1) not so, besides old stuff i've bought new a caravan, neon and jeep over the last few years. but there's nothing at the moment, i'm sure next couple years that will change. as far as the company's concerned, if i was getting a new car at the moment, an Arbath would be in the top 3.

3) my problem with the name is that unlike ford and chevy, chrysler droped the name loooong ago and, to me anyway, it comes across as lazy marketing. "hey that challenger thing worked out pretty good. we got any other old names we can use?"

i get the car, just not my cup of tea :icon_smi:

They need to quit recycling old names! It's making it harder for us to search for Challengers, Darts and Barracudas on craigslist :violent1:

Sheesh... is this car turning into "vaporware?" I was sure we would have learned more by now.

Has anybody heard anything in the past month or so?

The test mules for the 2015 Mustang continue to be spotted and the body is looking hiddeous (IMO)...so it's very likely that there will be a gaping hole in the market for a small muscle/pony car that doesn't make you toss your lunch.

(EDIT: for anyone clicking the 2015 Mustang link above, please note that the NEW Mustang body is only the camoflauged portion...though the snub nosed shape is fairly apparent. The visible sheetmetal is from the current S197 body.)

You know Chrysler is good at springing things on people.

Honestly, I am never going to purchase a new SRT vehicle and they are not Chrysler's bread and butter anyway.

That being said, I would love to see a RWD Dodge coupe/sedan platform about the size of my Avenger, with the Challenger version of the 3.6L
:blob:

Your nuts. The only one the hit it dead on was ford with the 05 mustang. The challenger is just goofy looking. Too big and too flat looking and too under performing. Not to mention way too late.
Goofy in bad *** way!! Heres my under performer.

Attachments

• car pic.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 574
Goofy in bad *** way!! Heres my under performer.

:glasses7:
Header Orange?

I'd love one...but a Challenger simply will not fit in my relatively small garage. The Mustang and Dart just make it.

:glasses7:
Header Orange?

I'd love one...but a Challenger simply will not fit in my relatively small garage. The Mustang and Dart just make it.
No doubt, its a bigger car. thanks mike

I could drive by a hundred mustangs in a day and not notice one of them. Every show/cruise I go to has a bunch of em'. They all look the same to me. And ya I know they are relatively cheap and can be made to go fast, that's why all the kids have them. They might as well make them and the camaros 2 seaters cause the back seat is useless. Back in the 80's I had a two yr old vette and every kid on the road with a mustang wanted to race me. Got really tired of it. To each their own really. I'd just never own one. The new chargers must be real dogs huh, that's why so many police departments use them?

Why would i want a belly button car ? Boring ! Old Muscle ... PERIOD !

If it makes any difference in long term value.. I have to think that the 'cuda will be the last of this retro-muscle era we've seen. How many years they continue to build these retro designs remains to be seen. Once any one of them discontinue theirs all will follow suit. I cant imagine any brand will ever look back again.

Why would i want a belly button car ? Boring ! Old Muscle ... PERIOD !
Made me laff, reminds me of doing 100mph down 35W in my Demon, my buddy punching me and screaming as a gallon of boiling radiator fluid pours out of the heater box onto his feet, anything but boring. gOOd TimEs!

Ok fella's.
I took a ride in my friends 2011 GT500 Cobra Mustang with an aftermarket Supercharger on it. It was definitely the scariest/fastest street car I have ever been in hands down. Talking about driving on Ice Skates......
Rolling in 3rd gear at about 3000 RPM, stomp on it and you are about to wrap your *** around a telephone pole. He can't drive very well so I told him to do the same thing but ROLL into it without spinning the tires and bang through the gears, so he does and Holy bageebers batman. That car straight out haulzzz ***, no getting around it.
The Mustang is WORLDS ahead of any NEW Muscle Car. It will take them a very long time to catch up no doubt!! If I was in the market to buy a NEW Muscle Car. The Mustang would be my choice for a Damn Fact!

as Herb McCandles himself said it for $35000 dollars you can have a GREAT old car that you know how to fix next time

I will wait and see what it actually looks like. Either way, it will likely be some sort of atrocity, Fiat does not know American car buyers. Especially those like us who love the classics. For my $ I would buy a 10 year old Viper.

If it makes any difference in long term value.. I have to think that the 'cuda will be the last of this retro-muscle era we've seen. How many years they continue to build these retro designs remains to be seen. Once any one of them discontinue theirs all will follow suit. I cant imagine any brand will ever look back again.

I read somewhere that Ford will be the first to ditch the retro look in the next couple years - 2014 or 2015. I still like the looks of the pot-belly-porker Challenger the best. :thumbup: :headbang:

Wylde1.

Attachments

• 2ea04e9b72Muscle-Car-Wars-September.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 305
  • 2010-camaro-mustang-challenger.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 388
  • 2010-mustang-camaro-challenger.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 330
I can't remember what year it was but pretty sure it was 2006 or so. I was at the Mopar Nats and saw the Challenger prototype and said I will have one! So after a 2002 Mineral Grey Mustang GT that I got rid of at 11000 miles and a couple more GT Mustangs I got my Challenger in 2011. All those cars bored the crap out of me. They are not muscle cars. They are nice, comfy and new but no more. I don't care if they have a Ferrari killer for $30K I am not buying anymore new cars. They are fast but boring fast. If I buy new vehicles they will be Jeeps for now on because they are still raw vehicles. Otherwise I will own 40+ year old cars because you drive them.

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 399
Looks like the bastard offspring of a Nissan 350z and a Mitsubishi Eclipse. With that said, my dream job is still taking all new vehicles through their paces and seeing how they perform.....how/where do I apply to be a "test pilot?"

Seriously....trucks, cars, bikes....I can break them all for these manufacturers and tell them what to do better on.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2015-srt-barracuda-future-cars
srt-barracuda-artists-rendering-inline-1-photo-475006-s-original.jpg

00100065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d9-0000-0000-000000000000_20120926155610_2015-SRT-Barracuda-Artists-Rendering-by-Jon-Sibal-rear%20-%20blog.jpg

They did a good job with the Challenger .. until you get to the belt line ... looks like the engineers could not bend over to engineer lower panels ?
Boring !
i'll take the old look , old sound , old vibe you feel in the steeing wheel/the seat ... shifting through the gears ... OLD muscle !
Plus you can't use all that HP unless you go to the track or out in the country ... Police have a citation for everything now ...
I also heard that the Mustang was getting away from retro look ... it is already happening look at all the L E D crap happening ...

-
Back