360 into 64

-

64barracuda

Reaction score
I just found a 360 to put in my little 64 barracuda. Just wondering if anyone has any idea of how to find cheap headers or manifolds that fit. I have 273 manifolds (but don't want to wreak them by reaming them. I don't know if it would work anyway.) Not sure if there is a difference in shape but I have power steering.

Thanks for the help
Miles

No need to ream them. Don't know what you mean there. They will fit as is. Not sure how hot your 360 is, but manifolds will work just fine unless it's a real fire breather. Dougs headers come to mind.....at about 850 bucks. Also Dakota 5.9 Magnum manifolds might fit....but are hard to come by. I think they were only made from 91-93 and only on the 5.9. I have read and heard they were on the 5.2 Magnum, but I think that's a mistake because I have pulled several pairs and no 5.2 I ever saw had them. They are 2.125" outlets, btw. Even the standard Dakota V8 manifolds probably outflow the stock 318 ones....but again, unless your 360 is pretty hot, the 318 manifolds will be fine.

Sorry it is 273. I can believe this but are you sure the port difference won't matter.

360-stock with 4bbl out of a cordoba

Sorry it is 273. I can believe this but are you sure the port difference won't matter.

360-stock with 4bbl out of a cordoba

the 273 manifolds will choke even a stock 360 some but if its just a cruiser who cares. may also have to slightly grind the head or block in a small area to get the driver side manifold to sit flat.

Headers are pretty limited (see here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=153326&highlight=early+headers) The other option is to keep the 273 manifolds. You might have to grind a bit on the lower edge of the head and maybe the manifold. Test fit the one for the drivers side and it will be obvious if it hits. 273 manifolds snuff up a 360 quite a bit but there are many folks running them. And then there is always the Dakota manifold hunt......

Good luck. Should be a fun car when you get the two together.

I would kill me to grind on an engine. I guess those are my options though since I can't afford new headers. I wonder about the dakota manifolds though. Would they fit right? Is it too hard to hook up exhaust with those in a barracuda. I suppose people have done it. I might have to look at junk yards around here. It kills me to cut fenders too, I guess I could modify the k but I still don't like it.

Thanks alot for the help

Kill you to do minor grinding? Come on for real? Do yourself a favor. Keep the 273 and forget the 360

Then just get some later 318 manifolds. Their ports are the same and they fit fine. Cheap, too.

You didn't ask, but I assume you have thought about the transmission. If you keep your existing cable-shift one, pretty sure you will need an adapter ring to put over your smaller torque converter snout to fit in the larger hole in the 360 crank. The only alternative is to install a later torque converter, but I think that also requires changing the tranny's input shaft (must disassemble).

If you install a later tranny, you need a different drive-shaft, probably cut to fit. Would also have to figure a way to convert from its lever shift to your cable.

I haven't had any luck keeping a gasket from blowing out using a 273 manifold on a 340/360 size port. You add the flow problem to the mix and it hardly seems worthwhile. I don't know of any header companies that make chassis headers for a power steering car that will actually fit without modifying. Welcome to our world!

Interesting article.......too bad it has bad info in it. There were no 318's or 225's that were externally balanced from the factory.

Where did you get that info? Much of it is wrong. There were no externally balanced 318's or slant 6's. The first 904 behind a 360 was in '75 and it wasn't a 999. The later speed gear were just a different design. The opening in the extension housing remained the same. They just eliminated the adapter and mounted the gear on the speedo cable housing. You can tow an automatic for short distances at slow speeds and not do any damage. There are other gaffs, but I'm tired of typing......

Speaking of poor information...

I flat-towed a '74 Mopar 1000 miles in 2 days and drove it for 12 years after that with no mechanical issues.

. Also Dakota 5.9 Magnum manifolds might fit....but are hard to come by. I think they were only made from 91-93 and only on the 5.9.

They also put 360's in the Dakota in 98 as an R/T package. My dad had a Grand Cherokee with the 360 in it - only made one year 98 and had special scoops on the hood and were only made in black, white, and silver/charcoal. I'm not sure if the manifolds are the same as the early ones.

I ran 360 heads on my 318 with the 273 manifolds and ran killer I think for what it was. I even got 20 miles to the gallon with a thermoquad with 2.76 gears and the low first gear 4 speed trans. The cam was an RV cam that came real close the stock 340 cam.

I just found a 360 to put in my little 64 barracuda. Just wondering if anyone has any idea of how to find cheap headers or manifolds that fit. I have 273 manifolds (but don't want to wreak them by reaming them. I don't know if it would work anyway.) Not sure if there is a difference in shape but I have power steering.

Thanks for the help
Miles
Maybe this will help,pretty cheap,
Summit Racing SUM-G9040 - Summit Racing® Headers

Yes, those Summit headers are pretty cheap, but they will not fit an early-a. Pre-67 a-bodies are narrower than 67 and newer, requiring special headers.

why so worried about headders, my 65 formula s has a 318 w/ dual exhaust sounds and sounds great with standard stock exhaust. My previous 66 had a well built 318 ran low 13's in1/4 mile with no headders. Why do you need headders again? They are very hard to fit on the early A bodies but can be done with patience if you really need them.....

I deleted my post,
the only thing I was trying to pass along; was the Crank spacer info.

Sorry I bother to try and Help.

KMA :walk:

Where did you get that info? Much of it is wrong. There were no externally balanced 318's or slant 6's. The first 904 behind a 360 was in '75 and it wasn't a 999. The later speed gear were just a different design. The opening in the extension housing remained the same. They just eliminated the adapter and mounted the gear on the speedo cable housing. You can tow an automatic for short distances at slow speeds and not do any damage. There are other gaffs, but I'm tired of typing......

So the problem is still- should I use the 273 manifolds on the 360. Half of you say yeah, why the hell wouldn't you-just grind your head, the other half says It will choke it out and the gaskets won't hold. I would need headers because apparently the only other manifolds that fit are on a dakota that is impossible to find. I am confused as hell. I wouldn't mind using the 273 manifolds but dad would kick my *** if I started grinding an engine head. It's your thing if you start grinding your engine at home, I'm just saying I wouldn't grind mine. There are no cheap headers so maybe I should just think of something to do later. I didn't want to piss anyone off.

Thanks anyway

Speaking of poor information...

I flat-towed a '74 Mopar 1000 miles in 2 days and drove it for 12 years after that with no mechanical issues.

I assume you are referring to leaving the driveshaft in or not

I can show you a couple of 4 speeds that "aren't." from years ago.

The mainshaft literally welded itself to the input pinion and maybe some of the other gears that ride on the main. One of 'em could not even be dissasembled

No, I didn't do it. Couple of sailer buddies at Miramar. Yep. It was expensive

It makes a great boat anchor.

-
Back