**73 Scamp Mini Pro-Street Engine Swap**

-
I printed the cars wiring diagram and as I suspected one of the big wires that is not hooked up to the back of the fuse block is for the Heater/AC Controls. The wire that is not hooked up is NOT on the hot side, it is switched so there is some relief there.

The other wire that is NOT hooked up is an Accessory terminal. There was something hooked up to it by the evidence but it too was on the "Switched side" so no worries there also.

Later today I will be tearing deeper into the wiring by taking out the Instrument Cluster, Radio and Heater/AC Controls and the glove box and repairing everything that does not work... This includes the Wiper Linkage.... ughhhhhh

i got lots of pics on how to install a painless wire harness. lol.

I printed the cars wiring diagram and as I suspected one of the big wires that is not hooked up to the back of the fuse block is for the Heater/AC Controls. The wire that is not hooked up is NOT on the hot side, it is switched so there is some relief there.

The other wire that is NOT hooked up is an Accessory terminal. There was something hooked up to it by the evidence but it too was on the "Switched side" so no worries there also.

Later today I will be tearing deeper into the wiring by taking out the Instrument Cluster, Radio and Heater/AC Controls and the glove box and repairing everything that does not work... This includes the Wiper Linkage.... ughhhhhh

i got lots of pics on how to install a painless wire harness. lol.

The actual wiring harness is in really good shape even at the bulk head. There are no splices or anything that has been done to the car. Just straight out disconnected BS...... Lol:wack:

The actual wiring harness is in really good shape even at the bulk head. There are no splices or anything that has been done to the car. Just straight out disconnected BS...... Lol:wack:

if you end up needing anything let me know. i have the complete harness out of my 67 that was in pretty good shape. i only robbed the ignition switch plug.

Ok worked on the car today. This car is starting to become a full time job. Damn.

Instrument cluster, dash trim and glove box are out. Items needed so far are.

1) New Glove Box
2) New Speedo Cable it is busted behind the dash and melted in the engine bay.
3) Replace Dash light sockets and bulbs that are missing

I have not got far enough into it as of yet to see the wiper motor assembly. The complete heater box/AC assembly will need to be dropped from under the dash. I will attempt that tomorrow and then start ordering the parts that I need once I have a complete list of everything.

View attachment IMG_5148.jpg

View attachment php1axbOPPM.jpg

View attachment php8tcUnjPM.jpg

Man! You are balls deep in that one. I thought you were going to buy a "done" car. :D

Haha.. I also mentioned that I thought it was "turn key". Funny that when I've bought a car like that, it was a lot of "turn wrenches", then get to turn key... :)

At least you know what you have when done and feel good about the car.

Man! You are balls deep in that one. I thought you were going to buy a "done" car. :D

Yeah I think there is a 2x4 strapped to my back side on this one!! Lol I am so deep in it that a 4spd Swap would be fairly easy at this point for the Pedal Assembly anyway......... I should not be giving myself any Ideas!! haha

crackedback; Haha.. I also mentioned that I thought it was "turn key". Funny that when I've bought a car like that, it was a lot of "turn wrenches", then get to turn key...

At least you know what you have when done and feel good about the car.

No chit... I am pissed and OK with it all at the same time. Like you are saying I will at least know the car when I am all done. That's what was good about the 70 Swinger. I wrenched on the whole car so I knew it very well. If something went weird, I knew what it was right away...... No guessing!

pettybludart; Even if it was turnkey car,Louis would be changeing to his likeing.

Yeah I would have to a certain extent. The other engine would have already been installed though for sure. At least I will be starting with a Solid foundation when all the Lil bugs are worked out. :D

Parts update.......

I went to Orielly's and found the wiper bushings, light bulbs etc....

Then I headed over to NAPA...... They ordered the Instrument panel sockets that will be here this afternoon. They also had the Speedo Cable "In Stock" for $21.00 , I found some online for over $60.00..... I was trippin out that they had it.

Only thing I will need to order online is the Glovebox Insert as of now.

While I have the dash out I will be getting rid of the AMP Meter and doing the MAD Electric Mod. That MOD is so easy to do when looking a the diagram..... I was like Really?? Everyone makes a big stink about it. The reason I am doing the MOD is I at some point will be putting in a High Amp Alternator otherwise I would probably not do it.

Parts update.......

I went to Orielly's and found the wiper bushings, light bulbs etc....

Then I headed over to NAPA...... They ordered the Instrument panel sockets that will be here this afternoon. They also had the Speedo Cable "In Stock" for $21.00 , I found some online for over $60.00..... I was trippin out that they had it.

Only thing I will need to order online is the Glovebox Insert as of now.

While I have the dash out I will be getting rid of the AMP Meter and doing the MAD Electric Mod. That MOD is so easy to do when looking a the diagram..... I was like Really?? Everyone makes a big stink about it. The reason I am doing the MOD is I at some point will be putting in a High Amp Alternator otherwise I would probably not do it.

What is the MAD Electric MOD? Please tell.

Thanks,
Brad

the seller is pretty damn lucky that you bought this car and not someone expecting a turn key car. that could have been a messy situation for the seller.

the seller is pretty damn lucky that you bought this car and not someone expecting a turn key car. that could have been a messy situation for the seller.

Yeah. I don't see how someone could have even felt ok about driving the car in the condition it was delivered to me in.

Fire Hazard City........Especially with a full blown leaking gas tank and a bad ground wire no more than 6" away from the fuel spewing out of it. The fuel pump was so loose I removed it by hand..... A lil spark from the fuel pump trying to find ground and KA BOOOOOOM!

Put some hours in on the car today. I got the wipers all hooked back up pretty easily today with help from "Crackedback"!! He gave me some pointers last night in chat.... He saved me alot of hours & headache today!!

The speedo cable is installed, the cluster has new light bulbs and I replaced the light sockets that were junk. Installed new gauges, ALT, OIL & Temp, they are all hooked up and the power and light wires are ran ready to hook up. I pulled out the old oil sending unit at the back of the block and installed a new one. The old one was really weird looking, it was very big and was a T of some sort. Some of the stock insulation was hanging down so I sprayed it with some 3M Glue and re stuck it where it goes. Tomorrow I will be putting it all back together after I trace a few wires. I am hoping to have it on the ground ready to rumble by Friday, tires re balanced and all. Maybe even have time to wash it!!:D

Attachments

• phpHE5YKYPM.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 572
  • php8Wi4SwPM.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 595
  • phpjSMmTUPM.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 568
  • phpFaEAdbPM.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 560
  • phpE7k1r4PM.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 586
  • phpxkoCRfPM.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 566
  • phpclHMi8PM.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 582
  • php54iSiSPM.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 586
  • phpH5NrQiPM.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 587
  • phpkRC4U3PM.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 585
Louis,I would be interested in any tip with installing the wiper arms.Both mine have fallen off and need to fix them.This is on my 73 Dart Sport.

Subscribed....took me long enough! :D Man I thought that looked like a really good car when it came up for sale originally, not saying it isn't nice, but it is amazing what you find once you get into them. But as has been said and as we all know, comfort will come with confidence. Lookin' good! :thumblef::thumbrig:

Louis,I would be interested in any tip with installing the wiper arms.Both mine have fallen off and need to fix them.This is on my 73 Dart Sport.

Take out the glove box and instrument cluster. You can reach above the heater box and reach the arm that goes to the passenger wiper. Take the arms out one at a time so you don't get confused which one goes where or how. I lubed up the snap in bushings with lithium grease and then set the arms on the ground and used a socket big enough to not hit the bushing and gave it a wack with a hammer to seat them. I first did the arm that attaches the wipers to each other. I set it back through the dash and used channel locks to attach the arm to the driver wiper pivot ball then moved over to the pass side and used a regular pair if pliers "cause there is no room" and attached that side to the pivot ball on the pass wiper. I used a good dab of lithium grease on each pivot ball before attaching them. I then took off the wiper motor and disconnected the Lil arm on the motor took it over to my vice using my aluminum shims so it wouldn't mark it up and pressed that end of the arm on that arms pivot ball. Then I installed that arm back in the dash and re attached the Lil arm back on the wiper motor and set the wiper motor back on the 3 studs and started the nuts a bit. I then went to the drivers side and attached the last end of the arm to the pivot ball with channel locks. I checked everything to make sure the bushings were seated all the way and then tightened up the 3 nuts on the wiper motor.............walah fixed wipers!!:D

Subscribed....took me long enough! :D Man I thought that looked like a really good car when it came up for sale originally, not saying it isn't nice, but it is amazing what you find once you get into them. But as has been said and as we all know, comfort will come with confidence. Lookin' good! :thumblef::thumbrig:

Yeah anytime we buy a car there is always something to do. This one is a bit more than normal though. At least I will know the car really good when it is all said and done!! :violent1: haaaaa

Thanks for the info Louis, much appreciated. Great job on the car also.

Brad

Thanks for taking the time with the tip for istallation Louis.This is one job I,ve never done.Thanks.:D

No problem Scott! Hey I forgot to mention on my car I had to drop the steering column just a Lil to clear the instrument cluster cause of the Auto on the column gear selector. On your 4spd I don't think this will be necessary. Oh and of course I disconnected the battery before I started so I wouldn't have any more electrical issues to fix and add to my punch list... lol :D

You guys with auto on the column cars... I unbolted the three nuts right under the column and then took out the 2 bottom bolts on the steering column plate that bolts to the firewall then as I loosened the last top bolt on that plate the column started to drop. I did not take the last bolt all the way off.

-
Back