AMC engine swap?

-

Sully1190

Look. It's a Gold Duster.
Reaction score
Has anyone in here ever attempted switching a small block mopar engine into an AMC? Specifically, a Gremlin? Just curious how much work fabrication is involved. I've been told all you need is engine mounts.

I know that this /technically/ isn't what this forum is for, but I figured that this forum would know best.

people have done it but you will need a mopar transmission as well because AMC uses a different transmission bolt pattern specific to AMC

people have done it but you will need a mopar transmission as well because AMC uses a different transmission bolt pattern specific to AMC

Ah, right. I assumed that. I was mostly curious about how much cutting/special parts I would need.

I put a 340 in place of a 304 in a 78 cj.
Change the trans to a mopar one, and fab up some motor mounts and you are good.

we put a 383/727/8.75 in a gremlin using spool motor mounts. mock up the motor in there where you want it, make you some cardboard templates, get you some 3/16 plate, cut and weld. get you a driveshaft made. wasnt much else to it besides fitting the rear end

Awesome. Thanks guys. There's a gremlin just up the road from me that came stock with all disks, factory AC and such. It's got a six in it, but it's good to know it wouldn't be /too/ hard to swap a mopar v8 in as they're a little easier to find.

I told him I'd help him find a buyer, but if I can't... I might have to invest.

Awesome. Thanks guys. There's a gremlin just up the road from me that came stock with all disks, factory AC and such. It's got a six in it, but it's good to know it wouldn't be /too/ hard to swap a mopar v8 in as they're a little easier to find.

those are cool little cars , and can be very fast little cars :D

those 6's are good engines 258 inline 6, or 4.2 litre. the 6's have the same bolt pattern as the 360 AMC and its a torque monster

those 6's are good engines 258 inline 6, or 4.2 litre. the 6's have the same bolt pattern as the 360 AMC and its a torque monster

Unfortunately, I don't think it's running :< So I'd rather just swap something in than spend a lot of time or money fixing the 6

I built one of those sixes years ago in my Spirit AMX

Offy 4 barrel intake with a Holley. Pretty aggressive cam, Clifford header
with true dual exhaust. Head was ported by a speed shop.

Car ran great! You might want to think about just building the six.

Mine also had a 4-speed in it.

THe exhaust manifolds/headers are a problem. Mounts you have to make, oil pan needs some tweaking IIRC.

THe exhaust manifolds/headers are a problem. Mounts you have to make, oil pan needs some tweaking IIRC.

What do you mean by "problem"? I'm assuming they don't fit, but are there any specific types that would work? or aftermarket ones?

That would be a perfect turbo 6 build. You may want to reconsider the swap. There are several members getting great performance from a /6 on this site.

That would be a perfect turbo 6 build. You may want to reconsider the swap. There are several members getting great performance from a /6 on this site.

That's what I was thinking. Since the AMC's stock were running Mopar trannys, I'd think there wouldn't be a problem there with the added HP of the 258. Seems like a lot of man-hours would be spent on getting that V8 in there, mounted up, hooked up, and a driveline even made up. I'll bet that AMC 6 is strong enough for some serious boost.

Once again, I'd love to do that. But this is a 700 dollar vehicle with a rusted out gas tank that hasn't been cranked in two years. I highly doubt it runs ^^

What do you mean by "problem"? I'm assuming they don't fit, but are there any specific types that would work? or aftermarket ones?

Nothing fits. You will have to fabricate. I forget which side might... Maybe passengers? But you might as well assume you will need to work on the headers. A good friend had illusions of buidling a race car out of a Gremmy with a 340. That was more than a few years ago but there were problems. If it were me, I'd either swap in the 360/401 or keep the 258.

IIRC we used the factory 383 HP manifolds. it was tight , we might have even made room in the engine bay, but not much. it was some time ago , and my memory has faded since then. the thing was badass though. we used the drivetrain out of a wrecked 69 RR

IIRC we used the factory 383 HP manifolds. it was tight , we might have even made room in the engine bay, but not much. it was some time ago , and my memory has faded since then. the thing was badass though. we used the drivetrain out of a wrecked 69 RR

Man I wish you had some pictures of it haha... That's a lot of engine for a Gremlin. There was a guy at one of the local carshows that had swapped a new hemi into one. Kinda what got me to liking the cars in the first place.

That's what I was thinking. Since the AMC's stock were running Mopar trannys, I'd think there wouldn't be a problem there with the added HP of the 258. Seems like a lot of man-hours would be spent on getting that V8 in there, mounted up, hooked up, and a driveline even made up. I'll bet that AMC 6 is strong enough for some serious boost.

the guts of the transmission is mopar but the case is different, its a specific AMC bolt pattern

This would be a cheap way to make hp.
Buy the car.
Find an old rusted out jeep cherokee, pull the v8, most were 360's, some even had 401's
AMC v8's are really reliable and make ton's of torque.
I bet you could throw the whole thing together including the purchase price of the car for $1500 if you shopped around.
Plus the amc v8 bolts up to the trans, and the factory already made the motor mounts.
I am pretty sure the radiator will even work.

the guts of the transmission is mopar but the case is different, its a specific AMC bolt pattern

True! That's what I figured. Point was.....it should be strong enough.

This would be a cheap way to make hp.
Buy the car.
Find an old rusted out jeep cherokee, pull the v8, most were 360's, some even had 401's
AMC v8's are really reliable and make ton's of torque.
I bet you could throw the whole thing together including the purchase price of the car for $1500 if you shopped around.
Plus the amc v8 bolts up to the trans, and the factory already made the motor mounts.
I am pretty sure the radiator will even work.

Yes, and the cool thing is that AMC's are sort of like Pontiacs, in that there's only 1 block size for all displacements, including 401's, so you'd be good to go dropping that thing in and bolting it up. AMC V8's are really well-engineered from everything I've read.

Don't tell the AMC guys you want to drop a Mopar in. Sort of like suggesting a SBC in an A body.

The AMC V8 is a pretty good unit and aftermarket support is strong. You can buy what you need to make this swap as opposed to the Mopar swap which will require everything to be fabricated. Motor mounts are just the start. You are on your own with linkages, plumbing and electrical. Still, it can be done.

Another option is the 4.0 six out of the later Cherokee and Wagoneer. It was developed from the original AMC six and will bolt in place. It can be stroked with a crank from a 258 and it's a pretty stout performer. Lots of info on this on the AMC sites and you could make the case that it would be a Mopar swap. Just don't say that to the AMC guys!

If the 232 or 258 in the gremlin will turn over it will run.
They are the slant six of AMC.
I am pretty sure they were actually produced for alot more years than the slant six.
I drive a 4.0 in my daily driver jeep.

-
Back