Another Small Block Crank Damper question

-
The elastomer types get 'tuned' to a specific vibration frequency with the ring weight vs the elastomer stiffness and thickness. The lighter the ring, the softer/thicker the elastomer has to be IIRC. I would think there is a price to be paid for too light a ring with matters like the durability of the lighter/thicker elastomer, or a tendency to 'detune' more with age as the rubber ages and hardens.

Is that more for street. What about for more of a race engine that see’s 7000 regularly? Thanks. Kim

Many factors go into damper tuning. Bob weight, RPM, stroke length and a bunch of other things I'm forgetting.

AFAIK, there are currently only two dampers that don't require a specific "tune" and that is the Fluidamper and the Innovators West piece.

AFAIK, there are currently only two dampers that don't require a specific "tune" and that is the Fluidamper and the Innovators West piece.
Roger.. they act more like shock absorbers with a broader range of frequencies over which they can operate.

Again.... if you are in the NHRA Top Fuel league, you would engineer for this weight. For us 'mere mortal' racers and gearheads, the energy absorbed in this size and weigh of mass is truly trivial.
Seriously, it is in the range of maybe 1 HP for an 11 second car; you can tune the ignition timing a couple of degrees, or have the track temp drop a degree or 2, and more than get this back.

I heard from several people that have used these with good fortune on 408's so I ended up with a PowerBond PB1004SS damper. It's a steel damper that is SFI approved and weighs about 7-1/2 #'s. It says it's made so the ring cannot come apart. Quite a bit lighter than the Trick Flow unit I sent back! Thx as always for shedding light on these - FABO is a great place!!
PowerBond_PB1004SS_Damper.jpg

I heard from several people that have used these with good fortune on 408's so I ended up with a PowerBond PB1004SS damper. It's a steel damper that is SFI approved and weighs about 7-1/2 #'s. It says it's made so the ring cannot come apart. Quite a bit lighter than the Trick Flow unit I sent back! Thx as always for shedding light on these - FABO is a great place!! View attachment 1715491541

Chrylser spent a TON of money looking into dampers. If you have the small block engine book it covers this.

A light damper isn't a good thing. Neither is an elastomer damper, unless you rebuild it often, and it is tuned for your bobweight and RPM.

Many factors go into damper tuning. Bob weight, RPM, stroke length and a bunch of other things I'm forgetting.

been studying dampers as I finish a 418 build...Innovators West seems to have the best quality damper..a little extra insurance after investing lots of money in a race engine.

been studying dampers as I finish a 418 build...Innovators West seems to have the best quality damper..a little extra insurance after investing lots of money in a race engine.

I haven't used an IW damper yet, but I may try one in the near future. I have no doubt that is a quality piece and worthy of the price. And, it is exceptionally inexpensive insurance on an expensive build.

Good choice.

-
Back