Asking for input/help diagnose, not an a-body

-

RedFish

Reaction score
My granddaughter has an Infiniti Q40 (06 model, I think). It is 4wd but not full time. When you hit a bump just right at 40 mph or so, it will begin to shake the rear of the vehicle left and right as if it were dancing. It has a conventional rear end under it. Only cv axles are under the front. I can see that it has never had rear shocks or front struts replaced. In all my years I have never experienced this condition.

Sounds like dead rear shocks.

Get the rear bouncing up and down then let go. If it continuous for more than 1 cycle. That's where I would start.

You could also ride behind as she drives over the offending speed and location and see what the suspension does.

Also look for loose warn or broken rear suspension parts.

Sounds like dead rear shocks.

Get the rear bouncing up and down then let go. If it continuous for more than 1 cycle. That's where I would start.

You could also ride behind as she drives over the offending speed and location and see what the suspension does.

Also look for loose warn or broken rear suspension parts.
Its not an up and down movement, its left and right and doesn't happen at lower speeds. I'm wondering if it has some type of posi' traction in that rear that is shifting the torque from one axle to the other.
Rain ended but its gonna take a day or so to dry up out there. We'll get it up on stands and see what we can finger out.
I was hoping someone had seen this before.

Does it have a track or torsion bar attached to the rear, could be loose or bad bushings. Huge problem with older Jeep front suspensions, the so called "Death wobble"

Worked at an Infiniti dealer for a while and never heard of that. The rear end for the cars have rubber mounts though. I'd unbolt the axles where they meet the carrier and shake it all around. It has a viscous coupling inside though I'm pretty sure

You really haven't given much info. How many miles ? Condition of car, tires etc... Why not just go to an Infinity or Nissan dealer to get diagnosed. May be covered under a tech bulletin.
If you do find out it is a suspension problem are you able to fix it yourself or get parts from other than an Infinity/Nissan dealer.

Does it have a track or torsion bar attached to the rear, could be loose or bad bushings. Huge problem with older Jeep front suspensions, the so called "Death wobble"
Well I'll say this, "death wobble" is a very accurate name for what we are experiencing. It's scary to drive.

You really haven't given much info. How many miles ? Condition of car, tires etc... Why not just go to an Infinity or Nissan dealer to get diagnosed. May be covered under a tech bulletin.
If you do find out it is a suspension problem are you able to fix it yourself or get parts from other than an Infinity/Nissan dealer.
over 200k miles, worn out tires, cracked windshield, etc... There is a identical one on a used car lot in the next town. It has a bad trans and been sitting under tree sap for at least a year. Owner wants 5 hun for it. I'm considering buying it for the windshield, decent tires, and more. These grand daughters with their worn out vehicles and Bojanges budgets are gonna break me. But what are papas for? LOL

. It has a conventional rear end under it

My searches show it has independent rear suspension which introduced a ton of variables.

If the bushings are worn the suspension geometry can go all over the place.

I had a 63 Econoline van as a kid

The tierods (solid front axle) were worn out.

If you hit a bump at the right speed the front of the van would death wobble as in each tire going toe in then toe out in rapid session. the only way to stop it would be to jab the brake, loading up the front suspension momentarily. That caused both front tires to track together again.

My searches show it has independent rear suspension which introduced a ton of variables.

If the bushings are worn the suspension geometry can go all over the place.

I had a 63 Econoline van as a kid

The tierods (solid front axle) were worn out.

If you hit a bump at the right speed the front of the van would death wobble as in each tire going toe in then toe out in rapid session. the only way to stop it would be to jab the brake, loading up the front suspension momentarily. That caused both front tires to track together again.

Later models have independent rear suspension. This one has conventional rear axle, coil springs, and shocks.

In New England everything rots. My daughter had a similar issue. Main frame rails and control arms were solid but box that holds the trailing arm ripped off. Had to do some fab work and reattach. Not sure how your car is set up. Time to get her new wheels.

Vue 1.jpeg

Vue2.jpeg

Vue3.jpeg

Vue4.jpeg

I agree this sounds like a shocks/ bushings / other suspension worn out problem. I know of no other way than to get under there with a pry bar and try to move stuff. I would buy a pair of shocks, "period."

In New England everything rots. My daughter had a similar issue. Main frame rails and control arms were solid but box that holds the trailing arm ripped off. Had to do some fab work and reattach. Not sure how your car is set up. Time to get her new wheels.

View attachment 1716030515

View attachment 1716030516

View attachment 1716030517

View attachment 1716030518
The road salt is vicious around here, I'm scared of fully boxed frames for this reason. I'd be willing to buy a lift just so I can get my cars in the air for undercoating.

Look for worn control arm bushings. The control arms are the links that run parallel to the side of the vehicle and attach to the rear and the "frame."

I've found this to be a 2000 model. It's up on stands now. The death wobble is definitely worn out bushings all around the rear axle. Several nuts and bolts sprayed with penetrant.

-
Back