Bad expierience with Summit Racing!!!!

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
So....at the end of march I ordered a summit racing 600 cfm carburetor....it arrived and I installed it and the electric choke did not work and the cheap fuel line that came with it poured fuel all over my new engine and screwed up the paint on it.

so I contacted summit and told them what was up and that i wanted to exchange it and asked if they could do anything to make up for my messed up paint their carb caused and they said they would send me a $25.00 gift card for the troubles....and they did.

so while I am waiting for my replacement carb to arrive I decide to use the girft card towards a new dual feed braided fuel line so I could avoid using the cheap fuel line summit supplies with their carbs.

The carb cost me a total of $246.90 with tax and shipping.

the fuel line cost $47.95 plus tax and shipping but I actually got it for $32.90 shipped because I used the $25.00 gift card they gave me.

anyhow, I go to install the new carb .....fire it up and I go to check for leaks and it POURING fuel out of this one too!.....except this time its pouring out of a soft plug that was not properly installed or something that is pressed into the body of the carburetor .

at this point I am PO'ED because this is the 2ND carb I have got from them that has troubles!.

so I call summit up AGAIN ...and the guy I spoke with was being EXTREMELY RUDE.

I told him what the deal was and that I just wanted to return it and get a refund.

he says "ill email you a shipping slip and just put it in the box and send it back" .

I say whoa hold on, how much is going to be refunded to my credit card?

he says " $234.95" , I said....whoa NO I paid $246.90.

He says (in a very rude manner) " YA but we gave you $25.00 for the inconvenience of having to exchange carburetors"

I tell him NO, that was because your carburetor ruined the paint job on my new engine!

He says "well I don't know what to tell you sir just throw it in the damn box and send it back"

after a few more minutes of going back and forth he says (in a fed up lets hurry up and get of the phone type of way) "whatever ok sir ill refund the hole amount just throw it in the box".

Then he asks "is that all for today" and I say...NOPE I will have no use for the fuel line that I bought from you guys now so I will need to return it too.

he says "throw it in the box".

I said ,don't you need the invoice number?

and he says "nope got it" .....then I said ,could you read the number off to me to make sure.

he says " UGHHH" as I hear him clicking away.

anyhow, thats the short version of the hole deal.

he said he would email me the return slip and I still have not received it (last time I returned the old carb they emailed it immediately).

anyhow, I am fed up with summit racing....the carbs have left a bad impression and the customer service (or lack there off) has REALLY rubbed me the wrong way.

the guy was extremely rude about it and very un helpful and sounded like it was friday and only 2 hours to close and he wanted to hurry up and get out and go to the bar or something.

anyhow, I put a edelbrock carb on order at advance auto parts...Im done messing around with summit.

I just hope they don't try to screw me around here, I just want my money back.

I buy most of what i need from Summit. Very good to deal with. Hunky

Dusterdude sounds like you are having a run of bad luck with the vendors. I have had nothing but good luck when dealing with summit.

I,ve spent thou$ands at Summit,never once had a problem.I,ve learned cheap isn,t always the best route.

Yah, you might have wanted to ask his name. I have bought a bunch of stuff from Summit with not problems or rude people. I think you might have just got a bad apple.

Did ya get a name and number?? I may hold on to a grudge a little too long, but if yer gonna be rude to me on the phone, or anywhere you will get it back in spades!! Never ordered from Summit, lots of competition out there!

I agree, summit has always bood good to deal with in past experience....and I have always got good parts and fast shipping too and customer service has normally been pretty good.

But not this guy.

and no I did not catch his name.

I however did call back and I spoke with a guy who was MUCH more friendly and helpfull, he walked me through the process and told me I was getting a full refund on the carb and he said that ill be getting a partial refund on the fuel line because I used the gift card on it but he said he understands why the gift card was issued and he put a note in the system for his manager to look at so he can try to get me the refund for that aswell. He said he would personally call me tomorrow and let me know.

atleast this guy tried to help the customer and understand the situation......much better guy to deal with.

he also said I should be getting the shipping label soon .

the funny thing is, a buddy of mine just installed his new summit racing 750 carb today and he says he absolutely loves it and has no problems with it.

maybe the string of 600's are junk?

maybe I got 2 bad ones in a row by chance?

I am not sure, but I won't be buying or recommending summit carbs in the future ....ill probably still shop at summit though.

and yes you get what you pay for....I just thought that it was going to be a good quality part that summit was making to bring in more customers being that it use to be a holley design.

I am sticking with edelbrock ....always had good luck with them.

Glad you talked to someone that knows about customer service. The $25 gift card would be a thorn in my side though!! I would get my $25 back in the form of a steamer mailed to them!!

I bought cheap headers from them just for breaking in my motor and I had to hammer the hell out out of them to fit,but at least I am not ruining new $$$ ceramic headers....
You get what you pay for?
I spent $$$$$$$$$$ with Summit and all has been good.
You will be happy with eddy...

I have bought thousands of dollars worth of parts from Summit since 1990 with NO trouble what so ever.Although I order all the time and never get a free hat anymore.My Dad ordered a part from them the other day, the first time he ordered in a few years and he got 2 free hats...WTF

Well, I don't think its fair to blame all of summit for this one guy. Especially since most people have pretty good luck with them (myself included). From my experience, if a guy acts like that, he won't be there very long.

It sucks that he was rude, but I'll bet if you called back and explained your situation to someone else, they'll take care of you.

The plus side of this is......I got my new eddy cheap!

I went to advanceautoparts.com found an edelbrock 1406 600 cfm electric choke carb for $310.00 , then used a promo code for 20% off and that dropped it to around $250.00 ....not bad for brand new!

now I am playing the waiting game for all my money thats tied up in refunds (summit racing for the carb and fuel line & YearOne for a windshield gasket that is "on back order with no known delivery date")

Well, I don't think its fair to blame all of summit for this one guy. Especially since most people have pretty good luck with them (myself included). From my experience, if a guy acts like that, he won't be there very long.

It sucks that he was rude, but I'll bet if you called back and explained your situation to someone else, they'll take care of you.

If you read my second post in this thread you will see I did just that.

and your right, my experience with the second customer service rep was totally different.

I didnt mean to blame ALL of summit.....was just PO'ED when I first posted this.

My main problem was with the line of carburetors and the customer service rep I spoke with.

I have had great luck with Summit. In fact their service has been the best of everyone I've dealt with. But as with any business it just takes one jerk to make the business look bad. Hope the last guy takes care of you.

What promo did you use at advance and how?

go to www.retailmenot.com and type in advance auto parts in the search.

it will pop up a list of promo codes.

some for $50.00 off $150.00 purchase, some for $50.00 off $200 ,some for $30 off $85 ,some for $10 off $25.

some for 5% off, some for 10% off,some for 15% off and some for 20% off.

I used the 20% off.

to use it you have to go to advanceautoparts.com ,find the part you want....add it to your cart and then on the bottom of the screen there is a box where you type the promo code.

then you can choose to have it shipped to your house or pick up in store free of charge.

I buy alot of parts using this method

I've had one minor problem with summit, and they made it right reasonably quickly. It really wasnt even their fault. Sealed Power sent out a bunch of std rings in
.030 over boxes.
More often than not, I get exactly what I ordered and get it sooner than expected.

DD72, sounds like yo ran into a rude dude havin a crap day on top of it all.

Great deal on the Adavancedauto carb and promo deal! LOL, Retail me not .com is a LOL name of a site. Easy to remember.

I've never had a problem with summit either. Thousands over years. Some advice... When you're getting attitude, maintain yours, ask their name, and the ask for their manager. If they refuse, call back immediately and ask for the manager straight away. You will get amuch better response by not being aggressive yourself. If you're so mad you can't think straight, don't call them yet...

I've never had a problem with summit either. Thousands over years. Some advice... When you're getting attitude, maintain yours, ask their name, and the ask for their manager. If they refuse, call back immediately and ask for the manager straight away. You will get amuch better response by not being aggressive yourself. If you're so mad you can't think straight, don't call them yet...

yup, he started to make me mad but I kept my composer for the most part....I had to talk to him like a child a little bit but I didnt start a screaming match with him or anything.....and yes, I waited about an hour to cool down before calling back.

at which point I was lucky enough to talk with a guy that was far superior in customer service.

AGAIN everyone.....I am not saying nobody should shop at summit anymore and I am not saying that summit is worthless......because they are not. I am speaking of this particular person I spoke with and this specific product.

otherwise, I like many of you have bought many things from them and will continue to do so. I just will not be buying any more carburetors from them is all.

P.S. they finally emailed me the shipping slip but they emailed me 2 of the exact same but with different tracking numbers so now I have to call and find out if I should be using a certain one of these two or if it does not matter which I use.

Im really suprised they gave you a 25 dollar card for your motors paint. Most would only refund the part cost. They went the extra step there.Try and get that from anyone else.

Well it was only the "right" thing for them to do. And yes its hard to find big companies that will do something for the little guy. Which is a problem..... small companies are more apt to make things right because they more so rely on the people. Where as one misshap to a big company is a drop in the bucket.

Well it was only the "right" thing for them to do. And yes its hard to find big companies that will do something for the little guy. Which is a problem..... small companies are more apt to make things right because they more so rely on the people. Where as one misshap to a big company is a drop in the bucket.

You can say it's a drop in the bucket, but here you are writing on the forum about it and 335 people (as of my post) have looked at this. Who knows how many will see this in the next week or so.

For my part, I use Summit and have had nothing but good experience with their support and service people.

As for the rude dude, you can bring it to the attention of the customer service supervisor. It involves a snail mail letter identifying the date, time, synopsis of the situation. blah! blah! blah! ...This guy is a black spot on your otherwise sterling reputation...(you get the idea).
Address the letter: Summit Racing; ATTN: Customer Service Supervisor; PO Box ***, Lower Podunk, Ohio [ZIP]

The rude dude works in a call center. By providing your customer number to the supervisor, he can look up your contacts by date and time and see who recorded your contact on the date specified (if they have decent customer contact tracking). Armed with that information, he can address the individual in question. It's not as rewarding as a public flogging, but it is better than letting this clown continue to suffer from delusions of adequate job performance.

-
Back