big block stroker build

-

woody30

woody30
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Was going to build a small block stroker but what's better than that?? A big block stroker of course. LOL. Would a 451 or 505 be better for a guy with a modest budget?? What kind of money am I looking at? What I'm looking for is a powerful engine with streetability. Just thought a bb stroker would let me accomplish that easier. Has to whip the **** out of my son's 80 Camaro (3300 lbs) with 530 horsepower. Doesn't have to be stupid power, 500-525 horse would be a nice goal. It's going in a 67 Barracuda so it's going to have a great weight to horsepower ratio. Finding a 440 or 400 block doesn't look to be a big problem. I was looking on 440 source and they look to have pretty much anything you'd need to build a bb stroker. What kind of quality are their parts?? Their stroker kit and Stealth heads with roller rockers would run about $3700-$3800. Assume about $1000 for a prepped block. Another $1200-$1500 for a cam and induction set up. I'm at $6000-$6500. Am I in the ballpark? How much more $$$ do I need??

If a 400 block is available I would go with that. It has a larger bore then a 440 and it's physically smaller then a 440.
I'm building one right now using a 499" kit from Eagle.

Ted

The 383 based 496 I did a few months ago looks stock (won 1st in '70 Challenger - Stock at Carlisle) and makes 424hp, 468tq to the tires with a hydraulic cam, aftermarket intake, and HP manifolds. He's also driven it to and from Lebanon Valley from Danbury.
We used a Muscle Motors kit (don't think he'd go that way again), Stealth heads (ported by Shady Dell), and a cam from Dwayne @ Porter Racing Heads. He had a bunch of stuff (the 383 only had 800 miles since a complete rebuild from PRH) and gto a wicked deal on the heads but I think if you had nothing it could be duplicated for around $9K plus dyno if you wanted that. Prob be less than $8K using Source parts and supplying a good block.

You'll spend twice what you think for a "completely prepped" block. Sonic testing, main studs, and complete competition quality machining will run closer to $2400.

I've been thinking stroker on my next car to .

Right now I plan on a 512 kit from 440 source and a mopar performance block with 4 bolt mains.

I will leave the heads for last as it may take a few years to get it done and technology gets better.

Plans call for running it on E85 with a 13-1 compression

Keep in mind that there are more headers avail for the short deck motor, especially if you use raised port heads. Check out TTIs webpage for details.

500 HP? Why bother with the added weight. 650+ or GTFO.

I would consider the edlebrock max-wedge port head for 500"+ motor.

^^^^ max-wedge size ports vs standard ports will flow ~30 to 50 cfm more out of the box.

that's a lot; requires intake to match & headers, if you get the biggie size

you wanna aim for 9.5:1 / 10:1 or so compression ratio for pump gas. i think the 440source kits list the ratios, you could even use a 400 block to get 512 c.i. and they are stronger blocks than the 440's if you are using a stock block

With most of the goals of these longer stroke big blocks being low rpm torque, the MW ports are simply not needed. A slightly larger than factory wedge port is enough to feed them up to 5-5500rpm depending on the camshaft. If you want to race it, or really plan to make some steam then by all menas the MW port is the way to go. But using smallish intakes and street headers or manifolds - it's a wasted expense in my opinion. Remember - bigger heads mean hood issues, limited intake choices, special rockers, revised head oiling, etc.

Just an example: I've got a 512 based on a 400 with Eddy RPM heads (minor bowl clean-up and gasket match), a small Comp solid roller with 1.6 rockers, about 11.3:1 comp. With an 850 carb it dyno'd 638hp @ 5600 and 671 ftlbs @ 4400. Not too bad in my opinion!

Just a track motor or street driven? Cam specs? Driveability? Thanks.

I built the car for double duty, but it will see more street time than track time. The cam is a Comp Magnum 308R (.575/.575 262/262 @ .050) with 1.6 rockers to bring the lift into the sweet spot of the heads (.613"). I can't comment on driveability yet as I had a major issue with my front suspension and haven't had the time to get my shiny new Hemi Denny K into the car yet! Driveability is really a subjective thing anyway. What one can live with might be overkill for another. I don't anticipate it being too bad though. It'll idle at 900 RPM, it's fuel injected with an overdrive transmission and 3.73 gears. Here's a scan of the dyno sheet with an 850 carb just for break in and reference purposes. It looks like there should be a little more in it, but we'll have to wait and see!

Attachments

• 512dyno.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 322
-
Back