Cams for 318's

-
I have the 20200715 in a 5.9 magnum in a '66 Cuda.
Pretty tame, good vacuum.
3400# car runs high 12's with a 3.73 gear.

Lots of these Melling SPD-22 camshafts for sale on e-bay, same grind as the stock mopar 340 cam that also works well in the 318s.

.429 / .444 lift
279 / 289 duration

Lobe centers
Intake: 112
Exhaust: 116

Screenshot_20230108-062904_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20230108-064529_Firefox.jpg

Lots of these Melling SPD-22 camshafts for sale on e-bay, same grind as the stock mopar 340 cam that also works well in the 318s.

.429 / .444 lift
279 / 289 duration

Lobe centers
Intake: 112
Exhaust: 116

View attachment 1716032045

View attachment 1716032048
Good price. That looks like the post 68 340 manual trans cam. That one was a different spec. That lift looks like the 68 auto trans lift spec than that .429/444 became the standard 340 cam. The SUM K 6901 is supposedly a good close 340 grind.

Duration at what lifter rise. Everyone measures them differently, probably the same cam.
That's advertised duration. I don't think that there's
Duration at what lifter rise. Everyone measures them differently, probably the same cam.
That's the advertised duration. Best to my knowledge, mopars formula for getting duration at 0.050" is multiple the advertised duration by .777 for stock cams and .850 for their purple shaft cams. Not saying that they aren't available, but I've never seen a actual repo grind of the 340 cam. I was told by a cam rep years ago that they can't grind a true 340 grind because Chrysler owns the rights to all of their engines.

A lot of cam manufacturers have a similar "340" cam. They work real good. Talk to a cam grinder about advertised duration. Some at .006 some at .008.

That's advertised duration. I don't think that there's
That's the advertised duration. Best to my knowledge, mopars formula for getting duration at 0.050" is multiple the advertised duration by .777 for stock cams and .850 for their purple shaft cams. Not saying that they aren't available, but I've never seen a actual repo grind of the 340 cam. I was told by a cam rep years ago that they can't grind a true 340 grind because Chrysler owns the rights to all of their engines.
Krazykuda had one copied: Reproduction 340-4 Speed Cam

Mopar performance Cam durations at .008 tappet are all listed in the old Direct-Connnection catalog, and in the later Mopar Performance catalog as well.
Not in my wildest dreams would I install a 114*LSA cam in a normally aspirated street SBM. I know many guys like that 340 cam, but I wouldn't pay a nickle for it. It was designed to run in a 340 with log manifolds, and it did a pretty good job of it,...... back then.
But everybody in hi-school who had one of those 340 cars, one of the first things they did was pitch that 114LSA cam and install headers. Which promptly turned a mid-14 car into a low-13/ hi-12 second car; Just like that.
Well everybody except me, lol. I reasoned that my 340 car had serious traction issues, and I needed to address that first. So that is the direction I took mine. In three years, anywhere but at the track, almost no one could catch my stocker, lol, and boy were they pissed.

Mopar performance Cam durations at .008 tappet are all listed in the old Direct-Connnection catalog, and in the later Mopar Performance catalog as well.
Not in my wildest dreams would I install a 114*LSA cam in a normally aspirated street SBM. I know many guys like that 340 cam, but I wouldn't pay a nickle for it. It was designed to run in a 340 with log manifolds, and it did a pretty good job of it,...... back then.
But everybody in hi-school who had one of those 340 cars, one of the first things they did was pitch that 114LSA cam and install headers. Which promptly turned a mid-14 car into a low-13/ hi-12 second car; Just like that.
Well everybody except me, lol. I reasoned that my 340 car had serious traction issues, and I needed to address that first. So that is the direction I took mine. In three years, anywhere but at the track, almost no one could catch my stocker, lol, and boy were they pissed.
I've seen a few good running sbm's that had a fairly stock 318, but the owner dialed in the suspension first. All the power in the world is useless if you can't put it to the ground. One that I remember fairly well was a duster, the guy who had it installed a adjustable pinion snubber, spring clamps. I think that he had traction bars. He ran 6 cylinder torsion bars. He also ran 340 cam,carb and intake manifold, headers. Gears, I don't remember what ratio he had. He was respected down on hall street in st.louis, that was the place to run back in the day.

I know everybody likes to poo-poo slapper bars, but I was impressed with mine.
However mine were not the kind that bolt onto the springs.
To install mine, I had to remove the factory spring perches, and bolt the bars on there. They were designed by a Performance Shop in Winnipeg in the late 60s/early 70s; especially for Mopar As, and fit perfectly. All I had to do was adjust the bumper at the front, and IIRC, cut all the spring clamps behind the axle.
And the shock-mount on these was raised a bit.
They way they were designed/installed, they were kindof like really short ladderbars.
With those, and 4.10s, she launched pretty good on G60s on the street, if I could control my clutch-leg.... with the 3400# Zoom B&B...... That 340-car was hard on clutches.
Track times were typical, of factory-stock 340 cars back in the day, namely 98mph @14.4 on the E70-14s with 3.55s, thru the muffs.

318 cams are one thing but is there any positive deck height .030 over pistons to up compression for the LA 318? Last I looked there wasn't much to choose from in pistons and nothing was that inexpensive.

318 cams are one thing but is there any positive deck height .030 over pistons to up compression for the LA 318? Last I looked there wasn't much to choose from in pistons and nothing was that inexpensive.
KB 167's are a popular option. Near 0 deck height. They are around 10:1 with a .039 gasket.

KB 167's are a popular option. Near 0 deck height. They are around 10:1 with a .039 gasket.
Good to know. I do have an early 70s 318 like to the one UTG donated to Vizard. I wouldn't mind throwing some J heads on it and upping the compression see what it does.One day when I m retired and have all the time in the world to play around...:)

67-69 and 83-91 318 pistons are made for 9.2:1 compression, although some may be in the head chamber.
In any event they are taller than 70-82.

67-69 and 83-91 318 pistons are made for 9.2:1 compression, although some may be in the head chamber.
In any event they are taller than 70-82.
When I've looked into pistons for a 318 they was never a year specific mentioned as they all are the same, I know that there are different compression height's but all direct replacement pistons that I've found are still down the bore except for the kb's which have a 1.800" compression height. Am I looking in the wrong place for pistons? If I could get a decent compression ratio by using a replacement piston and still be close to a zero deck height that would be better. I'd like to get away from the pistons being so far down the bore

Yes, when following what I call the 340 recipe ( which IMO can be applied to the 318 if the parts are available) you have the 340 360 heads with the open chambers meaning you would use the piston to bump up compression with either zero or positive deck height.

The other way is what I call the 273 recipe which is zero deck height pistons and closed chamber heads, I am not 100 sure the 273 is zero deck height but in pictures it appears so and the 273 HiPo has 4 valve releifs like the low comp 340 of late 71-73, but that Hipo version had closed chamber heads.. I prefer the big port large valve 340/360 heads, but this is just to get into 5500-6000 rpm range. I have personally put a 600 Holley and a cam into an otherwise stock 318 added headers and it was fun but it wasn't a power maker at 5500 RPPM and I suspect it was the stock LA heads and valve float etc. Just my $.02 :)
Nope! HP 273's were domed with 2 valve releif's.

010700_1422[00].jpg

010700_1802[00].jpg

041900951350[01].jpg

Ok I did some quick looking into it it looks like the hi compression 273 had dome pistons. nice ! I didn't know. The low comp 273 had the 4 valve releifs i don't think I've ever seen a high comp 273 how many were produced anyone know? I do think I am correct on the 273 closed chamber head though which gets installed on 318s alot to bump CR.
( Sorry, I fibbed about never mentioning 273 again...LOL! :))

Last edited:
96 to 99 mph trap speeds are mid 13s to highs 13s thats what they trapped stock
intake carb gears and traction was 12.9 13.0 without headers or cam
i raced and seen many built 340s at the track that coudnt break 14.0 and some in the 15s which is just silly why is that they throw a bunch of parts on the car and cant tune it
i agree the cam wasnt ideal still could run high 12s with it

Why rebuild a 273
I would if I had one, the Hi Po version they were good runners and where it all started with LA engine performance. I guess for me its nostalgia but I am a resto guy not a racer. A Hipo 273 for me in a 65-66 barracuda or Dart seems like a fun car.

Why rebuild a 273
They fly. A 273 will scream up to 6,500 rpm with a streetable cam and good mpg cruising. Factory mechanical cam and valve train, forged cranks, bushed rods, and floating pistons, heads flow very well at low lift, available 10.5 pistons, and the rest of the good stuff 340's inherited. Why build a 318 or 360?

They are NOT all the same.

That's the point I was making.

Why rebuild a 273
Think of a Hipo 273 as the 340s older brother....for me its the internals that these Mopar Performance engines came with, good stuff. Yeah you can build any engine any way you want but at the initial investment why not start with "the good stuff"...:) I am somewhat upset that someone somewhere might junk a 273 because the don't really know what it is, especially a Commando version I thought I saw a regular version on here going for cheap in the classifieds not too long ago. The seller wasn't getting any hits on it at all. I do seem to recall it had the black valve covers with the aluminum panel though.

Think of a Hipo 273 as the 340s older brother....for me its the internals that these Mopar Performance engines came with, good stuff. Yeah you can build any engine any way you want but at the initial investment why not start with "the good stuff"...:) I am somewhat upset that someone somewhere might junk a 273 because the don't really know what it is, especially a Commando version I thought I saw a regular version on here going for cheap in the classifieds not too long ago. The seller wasn't getting any hits on it at all. I do seem to recall it had the black valve covers with the aluminum panel though.
I passed on a car because it had a 273.

-
Back