Cams for 318's

-
I had some questions about cams and this thread seemed like a good place to post instead of making a new one.

I'm new to mopars and old cars in general. I'm used to DOHC motors where replacing heads and cams are almost never done due the cost and complexity, so I know next to nothing about cams except what I have been able to glean from some good posts in this thread.

I have a 1978 318 la. It came with a 650 CFM 4 barrel carburetor which is overkill for a stock 318. It doesn't appear that anything else was done to it, except the heads were removed at some point, because there is head gasket poking out a little, and it clearly is not a 1978 era head gasket. But, it did come with the stock exhaust manifolds which is why I saw I doubt any other performance parts were added. I think the previous owners just had the 4 barrel carb laying around and used it to get the vehicle moving.

Is there any street able cam that can take advantage of that carb without swapping the heads? I've already installed headers. 1 5/8" primaries into 3" collectors.

I probably wouldn't be asking, but the horsepower stock is less than my Wife's VW, so I'd like a little more. And, I'm already planning to replace springs, lifters, etc. Any help is much appreciated.

650 cfm carb is fine even for a stock 318, cam I'd go with a comp xe250 biggest I'd go is the xe262. They do xe256 if you want split the difference or cams of similar specs.

Here's a stock longblock xe262 cam making 282hp @ 5000 rpm
318 Long Block Bolt Ons - Tech Articles - Mopar Muscle Magazine

650 cfm carb is fine even for a stock 318, cam I'd go with a comp xe250 biggest I'd go is the xe262. They do xe256 if you want split the difference or cams of similar specs.

Here's a stock longblock xe262 cam making 282hp @ 5000 rpm
318 Long Block Bolt Ons - Tech Articles - Mopar Muscle Magazine
Thanks, That's a great article for any Teen owner that want's a little more. I bet just a little head work and 300 horse would be on the dyno screen. That would be fun in any A Body.

Thanks, That's a great article for any Teen owner that want's a little more. I bet just a little head work and 300 horse would be on the dyno screen. That would be fun in any A Body.

Simple and easy but I'm bet there will be a few telling us how horrible this combo is and why you must go 360 instead :)

I don't how you survive with your tiny 273 must be unbearable lol
It feels fast!
The little engines that could. (while all the big cube hot rodders are behind me smoking their tires)

It feels fast!
The little engines that could. (while all the big cube hot rodders are behind me smoking their tires)

That's one thing people don't talk about much is traction on the street.

Some just want to do smoke shows all day and the odd throttle blip 60-100+ mph and others want a more balanced ride.

Too many variables to just throw out a recommendation but I'd suggest you get the head casting numbers and run a compression test. Then decide what the rest of the combo will be. The cam needs to match your rear gear and converter . No good to have a cam that starts to pull at 3500 and tops out at 6k with 2.97 rear gears. You will never use the power. Don't over cam!!! Weight of vehicle intended use? Highway usage?

The head casting number for the driver side head is 4027593 which is period accurate. What I read said it is for non-air pump equipped models. What was the air pump for? The carb is a proformance 650 and the intake is an Edelbrock LD4B.

Also, I finally figured out that a "302" head refers to the the last 3 casting numbers and not the displacement of the engine it comes from. I found a source for rebuilt 302 heads, so I'm considering swapping the current heads for those now. If I do that does anyone know if the COMP 252/252 cam would work well? Vehicle is like 3,800lbs.

The head casting number for the driver side head is 4027593 which is period accurate. What I read said it is for non-air pump equipped models. What was the air pump for? The carb is a proformance 650 and the intake is an Edelbrock LD4B.

Also, I finally figured out that a "302" head refers to the the last 3 casting numbers and not the displacement of the engine it comes from. I found a source for rebuilt 302 heads, so I'm considering swapping the current heads for those now. If I do that does anyone know if the COMP 252/252 cam would work well? Vehicle is like 3,800lbs.
What source did you find for the rebuilt 302 heads?

What source did you find for the rebuilt 302 heads?

ATK is the brand. They're carried by several sites. Idk the rules here about posting sites that may or may not be sponsors of the site. ATK's internal part number for the heads is 2D31. If you Google ATK 2D31 you should be able to find them no problem.

Air pump is emissions stuff. Sometimes aspirator tubes to the exhaust manifold. Casting number should help you find valve sizes and head cc. Probably small port 318 head. It's not good to have a 340 window on the intake and a small 318 port on the head. It's ok the other way around. Small intake port window to big(340) heads. Compression numbers can help with cam selection. 3800# is a lot for a 318. You'll need gears to move something that heavy. Torque cam (less duration)will help. And lift is free hp. A solid cam starts pulling at lower rpms and pulls to higher rpms but will require adjustable rockers which aren't cheap. Don't get Chinese rockers!!!

ATK is the brand. They're carried by several sites. Idk the rules here about posting sites that may or may not be sponsors of the site. ATK's internal part number for the heads is 2D31. If you Google ATK 2D31 you should be able to find them no problem.
Thanks

I looked them up and they are out of stock.

They need rebuildable cores and they are not in stock at all times. Same with Rock Auto. They have nice reman's available when they are available. Catch my drift?

George Jets bought a set. Info in this thread: 302 heads and cracking

Gotcha. Makes sense. I guess I should be prepared to buy them when I find them. But if I can find them, that's what I am going to do.

Anyone know what size cam would be best for 302 heads? If I could get 300bhp without having to go to a high stall torque converter, I'd be happy. I'd think the bump in static compression ratio, 8.5 to 9.25, would allow for a longer duration cam than in the article linked above.

They need rebuildable cores and they are not in stock at all times. Same with Rock Auto. They have nice reman's available when they are available. Catch my drift?

George Jets bought a set. Info in this thread: 302 heads and cracking
I'm sure that I don't understand the manufacturing process, but why didn't Chrysler address this problem with the cylinder heads cracking with the 302 and the magnum cylinder heads,? The same thing with their transmission's burning up because of the cheap transmission cooler they were using for a few years, these are the things that gave dodge truck's a bad name

I know this is venturing into a different topic, but seeing as head choice is important for choosing a cam, I think it's relevant.

Is the #2843675 casting a higher compression head? It's from the pre-smog 318 la's. It lack the heart chamber and swirl ports, but I have read where successful builds have been done with it it, the Comp xe-268H and keeping the stock converter. That's larger than I think I would like to go for a cam, but are those heads a viable option for raising SCR with milling or any modifications?

I know this is venturing into a different topic, but seeing as head choice is important for choosing a cam, I think it's relevant.

Is the #2843675 casting a higher compression head? It's from the pre-smog 318 la's. It lack the heart chamber and swirl ports, but I have read where successful builds have been done with it it, the Comp xe-268H and keeping the stock converter. That's larger than I think I would like to go for a cam, but are those heads a viable option for raising SCR with milling or any modifications?

No, the 675 heads are an open chamber. But they are simpler and flow better stock than the stock 302 heads. You can always mill MOPAR heads for compression. @318willrun has threads on using 675 heads.

It's a catch 22 with heads. Compression is important. Closed chamber compared to open chamber (depending on the head) may only gain you a half point of compression. But, if your short block has low compression to start, you replace your closed chamber heads with large chamber ones (like replacing a early 273 head with a 340 head) you may end up in the 8:1 area. Use a thick head gasket, and add a cam heavy on the duration side and away goes your compression even more. It's hard to build power without compression. On the other side of the fence, heads with more flow usually make more power than a half pound of compression. The bigger the cam, the more that applies. But watch it there, a big cam, big heads to make it work may also take headers, a higher stall converter, and rear gears to make that combination even drivable. Just sayin'

Last edited:

A 318 with a xe268 and stock converter will be a dud on the bottom. Staying with a stock converter is going to limit your performance in a big way

A 318 with a xe268 and stock converter will be a dud on the bottom. Staying with a stock converter is going to limit your performance in a big way

Thank you for the input.

I'm considering going with a smaller cam, like the Comp Cams XE-250/260, XE-252/252, or XE-260/260. I'd probably just buy the whole kit, springs, lifters, chain and all if I don't go with remanufactured heads.

Also, just realized pistons are first cheap for these. The KB domes are cheap and supposed to reduce combustion chamber volume by -6.00 cc, so that seems to be another viable way to get back some lost cranking pressure from a longer duration cam.

Take a look at the 256.

Broader, less peaky torque curve than the 260.

Cam cores still seems to be a issue.

I am looking for a new hydraulic roller cam (shourt snout) to replace my current Whiplash cam. These are the cams I've been looking at;
  • Jones 216/220 (264/268) - Part no. HR68340-69340-110, 110LSA and .510" lift - Been out of cam cores for a long time.
  • Hughes Engines 214/218 (261/265?) - Part no. SER1418ALN-10 (Howards?), 110 LSA and .499"/.505" lift - Has currently one in stock.
  • Lunati Voodoo 213/219 (264/270) - Part no. 20200717, 112 LSA and .485" lift - Out of stock. They have 20200715 (long snout, same specs) in stock though.

Has anyone seen .200" numbers for the Voodoo cams? I guess the Voodoo is easier on the valvetrain compared to the one from Hughes.

-
Back