Cams for 318's

-
I passed on a car because it had a 273.
It depends on what you want. the 273 "Commando" HiPo is just like heritage of the MOPAR LA Performance blood line its where it started for the LA A body etc..when I saw that 273 engine I thought "man I d take it but where am I going to put it?" once you run out of storage its like why be a hoarder. I also think if I buy another car it will be a decent one not a basket case. I'm too old to bring another one back from the dead.

It depends on what you want. the 273 "Commando" HiPo is just like heritage of the MOPAR LA Performance blood line its where it started for the LA A body etc..when I saw that 273 engine I thought "man I d take it but where am I going to put it?" once you run out of storage its like why be a hoarder. I also think if I buy another car it will be a decent one not a basket case. I'm too old to bring another one back from the dead.
I don't have a lot of room for storage. The car was like 21k and I couldn't see paying that and then have to put another 6k out for a engine. The car was a dog

I don't have a lot of room for storage. The car was like 21k and I couldn't see paying that and then have to put another 6k out for a engine. The car was a dog
Yeah they put 273s in B bodies also. I saw a 68 Plymouth Satellite once that had a 273 under the hood. but yes you are correct on that price, for that money you want to have one thats ready to go doesn't need much but maintenance.

I've seen 440's that were dogs. If you don't know how to put a combination together and tune it, it does not matter what you build.
[/QUOTE
I've seen 440's that were dogs. If you don't know how to put a combination together and tune it, it does not matter what you build.
True, but the 273's don't have much to work with.

Yeah they put 273s in B bodies also. I saw a 68 Plymouth Satellite once that had a 273 under the hood. but yes you are correct on that price, for that money you want to have one thats ready to go doesn't need much but maintenance.
I would take 64 or 65 B body with a 273 in a heartbeat. They were all 2 barrels but it doesn't take much to throw a 4 barrel on them and dress them up like the HP's are.

I would take 64 or 65 B body with a 273 in a heartbeat. They were all 2 barrels but it doesn't take much to throw a 4 barrel on them and dress them up like the HP's are.
I think that with their small bore that they aren't worth putting a lot of money into.

I think that with their small bore that they aren't worth putting a lot of money into.
It's not about the power it's the look and the cool factor. Just like the guys doing Poly's. They are cool and if you want to spend the money you can stroke them to 408+. Every body pulls the /6's and smaller V8's out and does Max Wedge or Hemi clones. $75,000 later and they have to trailer them to the next show.

Depending on your goals most seem to like their built NA engines to make around 0.9-1.35:1 hp per cid, 250-375 hp for a 273, which a 273 bore could handle easily but sure a 360 could easily or a 440 super easily but people also seem like they don't want a powerband like a truck either. Each to their own.

I've had a 273 all my life. Evidently you don't know much. Passengers have freaked at how fast my Barracudas were, and I was driving normal for me. They were daily drivers, not trailered, ever. And just for the record, I have an original 68 Fastback Barracuda with a 383 and a 2009 Challenger 6 speed R/T. All three are fast. I also had a 71 Duster 340 4 speed, just in case you think I don't know what is fast... Keep playing the numbers game instead of building and driving something. If you can't make any MOPAR engine fast, and I'm including slant sixes, you don't know what you are doing.

@Dartswinger70
Where is your Happy Valley?
We have one in Western Canada, and IIRC also one further East, on the Prairies.
It is State College Pa. in the center of the State. I am 3 hours southeast in the Reading area Maple Grove is my home track 40 minutes away. I have been accused of making up my location, it isn't made up but you have to know the area LOL! I have used latitude and longitude coordinates on othr forums, that keeps em confused also...

At least he doesn't live in "Intercourse".

Nothing at all wrong with a 273.

This is the same old "stupid to build a 318 when you can build a 360" argument.

Not everyone builds for maximum performance.

The 273 looks pretty good as gas prices keep rising.

@Dartswinger70
Where is your Happy Valley?
We have one in Western Canada, and IIRC also one further East, on the Prairies.
It is State College Pa. in the center of the State. I am 3 hours southeast in the Reading area Maple Grove is my home track 40 minutes away. I have been accused of making up my location, it isn't made up but you have to know the area LOL! I have used latitude and longitude coordinates on othr forums, that keeps em confused also...
There's one in California as well. :poke:

Just think how small and boring this place would be if we didn't have all these "no win, no right answer" discussions. :rofl::rofl:

I remember on old fella telling me about a 56 Chevy wagon with a straight 6 and 3 on the tree beating a V8 Ford in a drag race. You never know and the driver has alot to do with it also. I tmakes me wonder if the 6 cylinder guy did some tricks to his engine back in the day.

I remember on old fella telling me about a 56 Chevy wagon with a straight 6 and 3 on the tree beating a V8 Ford in a drag race. You never know and the driver has alot to do with it also. I tmakes me wonder if the 6 cylinder guy did some tricks to his engine back in the day.
Oh yeah. Not stock.

Early small block V8 engines were not much more CID than larger six cyls. Some were even smaller.

I've had a 273 all my life. Evidently you don't know much. Passengers have freaked at how fast my Barracudas were, and I was driving normal for me. They were daily drivers, not trailered, ever. And just for the record, I have an original 68 Fastback Barracuda with a 383 and a 2009 Challenger 6 speed R/T. All three are fast. I also had a 71 Duster 340 4 speed, just in case you think I don't know what is fast... Keep playing the numbers game instead of building and driving something. If you can't make any MOPAR engine fast, and I'm including slant sixes, you don't know what you are doing.
I've dealt with the slant 6's, they are affected by their rpm limitations due to their long stroke and long connecting rods. I'm sure that with a good stall converter and gears you might be able to get some performance from them, but no matter how you look at it they are not known for their rpm capability.

273's have a limited piston selection and the small bore affects the size valve's that can be used

I've dealt with the slant 6's, they are affected by their rpm limitations due to their long stroke and long connecting rods. I'm sure that with a good stall converter and gears you might be able to get some performance from them, but no matter how you look at it they are not known for their rpm capability.
The main thing holding /6 back is the head stock your lucky to get 200 hp out of it and fully ported around 300 hp, next is tiny bore a /6 makes a 273 bore huge in comparison. Gonna have to turn /6 fairly high for 300 hp.

It's not always about the dyno power.
For me, a streeter with a manual-trans, it's not having to downshift two or three times to get some acceleration. and to not have my engine screaming at hiway speeds. On the way to 60mph, my engine with the 4-speed only hits the power-peak twice and the tires at WOT are on fire all thru first, so that gear is a throw-away gear, so to speak. So I don't now nor ever did, care about Dyno numbers.
----------------------------------------
Having some decent stroke to start with, means the typical performance cam, will leave you some extra effective stroke, after the stinkin intake valve closes. And so, your cylinder pressure actually means something, which, if you only start with an 8/1 engine, is very important
With the factory SBMs, for to cover all the bases, your choices are not very good; so for me, starting with a high-pressure 360 was the only choice.
---------------------------------------
When I started my project, I had several examples of each (except just one 273) of the SBMs on hand; so I could have built whatever. I chose the 360 because it covered all the bases really well.
the bases being, in no particular order:
Low-rpm torque
Low hiway rpm
near to maximum fuel economy
Comfortable Daily Driving
adequate power to have fun with
A long engine life
With 3.55s at most, the Go-to trans gear was gonna have to be Second, so the engine was gonna have to pull it. With 3.55s , 32 mph is ~2700 and 64 is double that. So that took care of cam selection. The rest of the engine was built to support that. Initially, I used the 2.66low box but with just 3.55s, the starter gear (9.44) was a little on the lazy side. I soon had a Commando 3.09 low box installed and that cured it. But the rest of that trans is all the same ratios. I don't much talk about the 292/292/108 cam ......... except to say that it didn't much like 3.55s with that 2.66 low, in a DD. It was, however, fun for a few weeks.
---------------------
The truth is that the 360 with the smaller (223@.050) cam did everything I wanted it to, and if I had to, I would give up a lil bottom end. But NOT midrange. My ride with me in it weighs 3650, so at 32mph in Second gear being just 2700rpm, I would, with a smaller engine, have to downshift. That would take all the fun out of sneaking up on a friend, just stomping the go-pedal, and hanging the heck on.
To that end, when that 223* cam died, I moved up one size to a 230/237/110 cam. But this cam lost a lot more bottom end than I expected. Bad choice. I pulled the engine and bumped up the Compression Ratio, and Now it ain't quite so bad. I have learned to live with it.
So, to re-iterate;
IMO; for a streeter, Midrange is where it's at......
Yeah and a 273 @2700 rpm in Second gear, ain't got any to motivate 3650 pounds with. A 318 doesn't either. Even a 340 would struggle. So 360 it had to be.

It's not always about the dyno power.
For me, a streeter with a manual-trans, it's not having to downshift two or three times to get some acceleration. and to not have my engine screaming at hiway speeds. On the way to 60mph, my engine with the 4-speed only hits the power-peak twice and the tires at WOT are on fire all thru first, so that gear is a throw-away gear, so to speak. So I don't now nor ever did, care about Dyno numbers.
----------------------------------------
Having some decent stroke to start with, means the typical performance cam, will leave you some extra effective stroke, after the stinkin intake valve closes. And so, your cylinder pressure actually means something, which, if you only start with an 8/1 engine, is very important
With the factory SBMs, for to cover all the bases, your choices are not very good; so for me, starting with a high-pressure 360 was the only choice.
---------------------------------------
When I started my project, I had several examples of each (except just one 273) of the SBMs on hand; so I could have built whatever. I chose the 360 because it covered all the bases really well.
the bases being, in no particular order:
Low-rpm torque
Low hiway rpm
near to maximum fuel economy
Comfortable Daily Driving
adequate power to have fun with
A long engine life
With 3.55s at most, the Go-to trans gear was gonna have to be Second, so the engine was gonna have to pull it. With 3.55s , 32 mph is ~2700 and 64 is double that. So that took care of cam selection. The rest of the engine was built to support that. Initially, I used the 2.66low box but with just 3.55s, the starter gear (9.44) was a little on the lazy side. I soon had a Commando 3.09 low box installed and that cured it. But the rest of that trans is all the same ratios. I don't much talk about the 292/292/108 cam ......... except to say that it didn't much like 3.55s with that 2.66 low, in a DD. It was, however, fun for a few weeks.
---------------------
The truth is that the 360 with the smaller (223@.050) cam did everything I wanted it to, and if I had to, I would give up a lil bottom end. But NOT midrange. My ride with me in it weighs 3650, so at 32mph in Second gear being just 2700rpm, I would, with a smaller engine, have to downshift. That would take all the fun out of sneaking up on a friend, just stomping the go-pedal, and hanging the heck on.
To that end, when that 223* cam died, I moved up one size to a 230/237/110 cam. But this cam lost a lot more bottom end than I expected. Bad choice. I pulled the engine and bumped up the Compression Ratio, and Now it ain't quite so bad. I have learned to live with it.
So, to re-iterate;
IMO; for a streeter, Midrange is where it's at......
Yeah and a 273 @2700 rpm in Second gear, ain't got any to motivate 3650 pounds with. A 318 doesn't either. Even a 340 would struggle. So 360 it had to be.
100% Agree with the statement midrange is where it's at.

-
Back