David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be fun to see you run it over to the local "Wheel Dyno Shop" and see what the real life horse power is at your rear wheels, being it's a stock original 2 bbl 318 engine.

Would be fun to know that number.

View attachment 1716031387
I don't care about the CFM of a Ford 302 head...... THAT ^^^ is a NICE looking slot mag :)

Use the .028 ths head gaskets along with the 9.2:1 cr, along with the 302 heads ported or not and now you are ar 9.5 cr on the 318.

Win, Win

☆☆☆☆☆

I know that. You know that. Probably most everyone knows that.

But it’s being talked about like it’s a 30 HP gain. It’s not. I doubt if all you did was float the pins you’d find 1 HP. And to find that, you’d need a dyno and room like Pro Stock and ASScar uses. And even then, it’s probably still within the margin of error.

Just like grinding all that metal off the rods. Same thing. You might, maybe MIGHT be able to find a couple of HP IF you had a true inertia crank dyno and you are still well within the margin of error again.

And this is why those of us who do this stuff for a living spend our time and effort trying to explain why this is so damned ridiculous.

And then you have the peanut gallery folks who keep fanning the flames of error and act and talk like this stuff is a huge power maker when in the real world any gains you may see, MAYBE will be in the margin of error.

The guys who do this **** for a hobby or for mental masturbation and who have never tested this stuff act and talk like it matters.

It only matters if you are dirt poor and your time is worth nothing. Or you like to sit around and make work for yourself (no customer with the IQ of a fountain pen would ever pay for stuff like that) just to say you did it.

My response isn‘t a trigger. It’s a response to 45 years of seeing things like this and watching guys walk away from the hobby from sheer frustration. And the dollar per smile was so small (if at all) they say screw it and go play golf.
No you're right it wasn't a trigger, it was a "Tee up" question so you could follow it up with this post.
All in the hope someone would bite so you could talk about yourself and your one man crusade to save the guy's who "walk away" from the hobby.. What a joke.
And this "do it for a living thing" you keep saying? It's a farce, just like your "I have a dyno" routine, when you don't.
You're retired right, your not licensed for anything you do, you probably do odd jobs at home for cash, which you don't run through a business name and don't pay any tax on.
In other words you are the guy doing this for a hobby, and your "mental masturbation" here is excessive to say the least.

Now back on topic with this entertaining thread :)

Probably 200 at the rear wheels.
Are you sure about that? Factory rating was what 230hp at the flywheel? I recon your about 50-60hp optimistic.

Just like grinding all that metal off the rods. Same thing. You might, maybe MIGHT be able to find a couple of HP IF you had a true inertia crank dyno and you are still well within the margin of error again.

Yeah I would not have sunk my time into that personally but these guys are going for a number not working to a budget, if they find 5 things which gain them 2hp then they're up 10hp. It would be a very expensive/time consuming 10hp but still helps them towards that number. If anything this whole thing might raise some interest in the hobby and those interested enough will learn that there are easier ways to wake a 318 up instead of trying to copy what they're doing.

Yeah I would not have sunk my time into that personally but these guys are going for a number not working to a budget, if they find 5 things which gain them 2hp then they're up 10hp. It would be a very expensive/time consuming 10hp but still helps them towards that number. If anything this whole thing might raise some interest in the hobby and those interested enough will learn that there are easier ways to wake a 318 up instead of trying to copy what they're doing.
Here's a revisit. It covers all the why's and why nots.
I think people are taking this build way to seriously, all in the name of a little chest puffing and authority stamping.
All this could'a, would'a, should'a, from the bleachers about this build is pointless and tediously boring to say the least.

Are you sure about that? Factory rating was what 230hp at the flywheel? I recon your about 50-60hp optimistic.
The factory rating is very optimistic in the 1st place.
Aftermarket heads offer so much power potential that these little gains have become mostly unnecessary unless racing in a highly competitive class or like ya said for something like this build.

Last edited:
Aftermarket heads offer so much power potential that these little gains have become mostly unnecessary unless racing in a highly competitive classe or like ya said for something like this build.
Um, no, don't get caught in that trap.

I still have mine. I have a LD4B and a AVS II to go on but the 2 barrel works so well. I know, a 4 barrel would work better.

View attachment 1716031369
It must not get hot where you yankees live. That radiator just doesn't cut it in the deep South (ern States) where I have mostly lived (includes humidity, but mostly days 90-110 degrees). When I see those 22" radiators it blows my mind. Maybe RRR got them to work near Mildredge, GA but all of my old mopars overheated with those.

It must not get hot where you yankees live. That radiator just doesn't cut it in the deep South (ern States) where I have mostly lived (includes humidity, but mostly days 90-110 degrees). When I see those 22" radiators it blows my mind. Maybe RRR got them to work near Mildredge, GA but all of my old mopars overheated with those.
Oh that one puked a few times. A bad cap really caused the issues. I now have a bigger one with a extra core. Bob from Glen Ray fixed me up.

radiator2.jpg

Last edited:
My Dart has a 4 core E body radiator in it.

Servedio is finding out the heads hes put hours into aren't cutting it. Its like Vizard and crew know nothing about Mopar. Uncle Tony picked the right guys for this " experiment"

I figured out how to deal with this thread........

Step away for a few days........ let the post count really climb way past where you stopped reading..... and realize you’re not interested enough to try and catch back up.

Kinda went off the rails eh...? I'm back from banned camp. I had a few days to read without commenting and have figured out who to not interact with. Some here I would guess don't even own a Mopar yet they will argue them all day every day. In all reality does it matter? when the old guys that know are gone they will l have wished they listened. Then again maybe not. The cars will go overseas to rich foreigners.

I figured out how to deal with this thread........

Step away for a few days........ let the post count really climb way past where you stopped reading..... and realize you’re not interested enough to try and catch back up.
Lol

Servedio is finding out the heads hes put hours into aren't cutting it. Its like Vizard and crew know nothing about Mopar. Uncle Tony picked the right guys for this " experiment"
I don't think that's the case with Servedio at all. You've just returned back from the market with a bunch of sour grapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back