How big of a jerk am I? Or are you?

-
A lot of work to move a car with the engine out just because a bunch of punks have no respect. In the end it's about respect of other people's property that's in question here.

A lot of work to move a car with no engine. Hell makes it lighter. I’ve moved non running complete cars with no issues over the years.

In the end he knowing the industry he should have said no you aren’t filming here or personally been there personally to make sure nothing was touched. Hell who knows if the kids leaning on the car and all were even told by their superiors not to touch the car. Wouldn’t surprise me if worn neve funneled down to them

dont answer just yet but if you have time for a long winded question, read on.
At the moment, there is a small film crew in my backyard filming a backyard remodel internet show. My sister in law is head of this company that makes these little promotional videos for this home remodel website.
I work in this industry doing lighting on commercials, tv shows etc so I know the havoc a film crew can wreak on someone's house. But since it's for family and they are only in the backyard, I agreed as it would really help out my sister in law. It's a crew of only about eight people and we supposedly get about $1k in patio furniture for our trouble. The wife wanted to do it sooooooo........here we are.
The only worry here is that my 65 belvedere lives in the driveway in front of the garage, behind the house. My only stipulation in allowing these guys in our yard was that my car not be touched. At all.
So Friday they came and dropped off tools, cleared off our patio etc and were set to start filming today. I got off work early today and peered out the back window to check out the operation and was a little unnerved. A couple of hipster dudes leaning on the car. Lots of people's personal belongings on my car. And some heavy duty extension cords(stingers) across the hood. That's when one of the hipster dudes dragged the cord across the hood of my car. I am now over it, officially. Lol.
Now bear in mind that my car doesn't have fancy paint or anything but I have worked hard on it and I really like the car. It's heavily patina'd but has a near perfect grille, rechromed bumpers, really nice original tinted glass, nice brightwork, etc.
Right about then my wife came home and I told her we(she had dealt with them exclusively up to now) needed to talk to these folks about the car. We politely told them that we didn't want the car touched and reminded them that we had stated that initially, as well. Not to mention, they could run their wires UNDER the car quite easily.
The producer people were super nice but the kids on the crew looked at me like I was from mars. I understand that my car looks like junk to a non car person but I do have quite a bit of money in this thing. I felt stupid for a minute but then I thought to myself, "hey screw that! It's my damn car and I don't want anyone messing with it!"
So my question to you guys is, what is your policy about people touching your car? And, obviously, I know you guys don't want anyone touching a car with nice paint, etc. I have included a picture of the whole operation so you can see the condition of the car and the remodel operation. Do you get pissed if someone leans on your driver/beater?
I was just thinking about this after these guys left and wondered what you guys thoughts were.

Damn kids!! Get off my lawn!!!:lol:
Here is a reference photo. And yes, there is a porta-John next to my car.

View attachment 1715175883

Seems more like a drama queen than a jerk.. :poke:

Reading your post, you knew how this could go and you agreed to it. Then, ONE time you had to go out and tell them not touch your car, maybe they didn’t get info from there supervisor, and after that there were no more problems? Doesn’t really seem like a big deal to me. You asked, they obeyed.

Now you post up on the forum and most are talking how disrespectful they are and have no manners, yet… most are wanting to be disrespectful and show bad manners to them. Such as, intimidate them with a gun, throw their **** on the ground, kick their ***, cut the wires etc. etc. Pretty hypocritical of most.. All because you had to ask them ONE time not to touch your car? Unless you left something out, like it happened over and and over, then you lost it, it really seems petty.

I’m not defending these guys but come on. To a non-car guy, you got a rusty old car, that won’t move, bird **** and tree sap probably on it, since it “lives in the drive way” rotting uncovered in the California sun. They leaned or put stuff on it, you told them not to, they complied, and the problem was solved. Seems like it really wasn’t that big of a deal. And if it got right down to it, all 8 of the crew probably would have gladly pushed it out of the way while they filmed, and back when they were done.

Nothing like making a mountain out of molehill

My only stipulation in allowing these guys in our yard was that my car not be touched. At all.

Your request was not unusual or absurd in any way. Don't know what part of this is so hard. Your place, your rules.
And it's your molehill. Make any kind of mountain out of it you want.

I am not unfriendly, antisocial, or an outcast from society, BUT.......If my nearest neighbor lives at least 10 miles from me, then we both should be happy!!!!!!!

Good fences makes good neighbor, ....hog tight, bull strong, and horse high!!!!!

I don't care if my truck looks like a 1500 pound bull ran over it everyday for a month...OK so maybe it does. Its 23 years old, but, I bought it new. IT is my **** and don't throw your **** on it... period. If anyone does, it will be my ****!!!

Lets vote, , am I an asshole also!!!?????? LOL

My daily driver is a red '96 Dodge Dakota 3.9L 5 speed (purchased new/special order by father). I have replaced both doors with wrecking yard purchases due to hinge weld failures. Since neither door matches the body (don't match one another either), it's easy to pick my vehicle out in the parking lot. Now with 285,000 miles on it, I don't have to worry about a first scratch, someone leaning on the fender, or setting something down on the hood. It's really a pleasure to drive.

Thanks barbee! Exactly how I feel. And thanks everyone for the responses. About what I expected(except for one.)
And Joe, trust me. There was nowhere for the car to go. I have a long narrow driveway and the car had nowhere else it could go. The engine is out and the tranny is on a jack. It had to be right there.
I'm glad I did the favor for my sister in law, though. It was a big help to her and the crew were actually really nice except for the one hipster electrician.
This guy did piss me off on a few levels, though. Obviously, the car was first but also, I'm not a big fan of people who don't do their job properly, especially as I do some high end car commercials from time to time.
If I ran a stinger over a car at work, I'd be screamed at for sure.
Not respecting over people's property not to mention creating a tripping hazard. He did it because he's not a car guy and probably just saw a junky old car, in his mind.
Also, if you guys go back and read what I said, you'll see that I said a film crew CAN wreak havoc on a location. I didn't say they always do. People who are professional leave a location exactly as they found it. These people were considerate for the most part and I corrected the one guy who wasn't.
I only started this thread as I found it interesting how non car people look at our old cars and how WE as car people treat the same cars. Hell, even my wife thinks I'm a bit obsessive about my cars but she gets the big picture. She sees how much time and money I have in these cars and the enjoyment they bring me.
Anyhow, it's over now and I have a happy wife and I'm hitting the road tomorrow back to Oklahoma for a much needed vacation. I'll see some of my fabo brothers on the way!

I am not unfriendly, antisocial, or an outcast from society, BUT.......If my nearest neighbor lives at least 10 miles from me, then we both should be happy!!!!!!!

Good fences makes good neighbor, ....hog tight, bull strong, and horse high!!!!!

I don't care if my truck looks like a 1500 pound bull ran over it everyday for a month...OK so maybe it does. Its 23 years old, but, I bought it new. IT is my **** and don't throw your **** on it... period. If anyone does, it will be my ****!!!

Lets vote, , am I an asshole also!!!?????? LOL

One thing we were taught as kids by my dad was screwing with another mans car... Leave it alone!!!!! With that being said if you did not know up with that mentality in regards to a car specifically I totally see where people just look at it as another piece of metal in the driveway..... I would have probably moved it or something just because people suck....

As for neighbors, 100 miles away is a good number for me.... But as an X once told me I take being an asshole to a whole different level lol....

JW

Reading your post, you knew how this could go and you agreed to it. Then, ONE time you had to go out and tell them not touch your car, maybe they didn’t get info from there supervisor, and after that there were no more problems? Doesn’t really seem like a big deal to me. You asked, they obeyed.

Now you post up on the forum and most are talking how disrespectful they are and have no manners, yet… most are wanting to be disrespectful and show bad manners to them. Such as, intimidate them with a gun, throw their **** on the ground, kick their ***, cut the wires etc. etc. Pretty hypocritical of most.. All because you had to ask them ONE time not to touch your car? Unless you left something out, like it happened over and and over, then you lost it, it really seems petty.

I’m not defending these guys but come on. To a non-car guy, you got a rusty old car, that won’t move, bird **** and tree sap probably on it, since it “lives in the drive way” rotting uncovered in the California sun. They leaned or put stuff on it, you told them not to, they complied, and the problem was solved. Seems like it really wasn’t that big of a deal. And if it got right down to it, all 8 of the crew probably would have gladly pushed it out of the way while they filmed, and back when they were done.

Wow, embellish much?:lol:

Last edited:
No, but was wondering the same thing.
Seems like it boils down to no liking the way one guy did his job..:drama:
Well, I guess we're allowed to agree to disagree. I'm not here to ruffle any feathers or argue. I asked opinions and you gave yours. I appreciate EVERYONES opinion here and, of course, you're allowed to oppose mine.
I could do without being called a drama queen, but hey, it's a free website. You're free to call me whatever you want. Seems unnecessary to me but it's no skin off my back.
And no, I didn't like they way this dude did his job or treated my property or disregarded his instructions, but again, that's just my opinion.
And lastly, if helping out a family member makes me someone who's asking for it or a drama queen or whatever, then so be it. I'd help her out again, in a heartbeat.
I just thought it was interesting how people react to these situations. Nothing more or less.

Well, I guess we're allowed to agree to disagree. I'm not here to ruffle any feathers or argue. I asked opinions and you gave yours. I appreciate EVERYONES opinion here and, of course, you're allowed to oppose mine.
I could do without being called a drama queen, but hey, it's a free website. You're free to call me whatever you want. Seems unnecessary to me but it's no skin off my back.
And no, I didn't like they way this dude did his job or treated my property or disregarded his instructions, but again, that's just my opinion.
And lastly, if helping out a family member makes me someone who's asking for it or a drama queen or whatever, then so be it. I'd help her out again, in a heartbeat.
I just thought it was interesting how people react to these situations. Nothing more or less.
First let me apologize if I offended you, it was not my intention. The drama queen comment was meant to be fun sarcasm and the second emoji wouldn't have been used knowing it would offend. Figured we in for a good debate and that would be it.
I don't disagree with you concern for your car, I am very protective of mine, it stays covered in the garage, parked in the north forty at the store and I worry until i get back to it when its in a parking lot.
It just seems like when it boiled down, it was one time that you had to ask them to stay a way from it and the problem was solved. Four pages later, it seemed like a lot more was made out it than it really was. (my opinion) so I figured I'd give my 2 cents.

I've found people are generally a little more polite when you open carry
Makes me think it's someone who can't handle himself. And I'm course I'm not suggesting that about you or anybody it's just the first thing I think when I see it.

Sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill he just threw something up for discussion that's about it?

Here's an example: I have a customer who has an old car he wants help getting fixed. He has a Hellcat and I said cool and he said you're welcome to take it for a spin sometime. I thought about that today as I was driving my old beat-up truck that I just got done building with my own two hands and thought I don't think I would let anybody drive this truck!

First let me apologize if I offended you, it was not my intention. The drama queen comment was meant to be fun sarcasm and the second emoji wouldn't have been used knowing it would offend. Figured we in for a good debate and that would be it.
I don't disagree with you concern for your car, I am very protective of mine, it stays covered in the garage, parked in the north forty at the store and I worry until i get back to it when its in a parking lot.
It just seems like when it boiled down, it was one time that you had to ask them to stay a way from it and the problem was solved. Four pages later, it seemed like a lot more was made out it than it really was. (my opinion) so I figured I'd give my 2 cents.

Thanks for saying that dgibby. And no need to apologize. You'll have to do better than that to offend me. Lol. I appreciate the clarification, though. Like I said, we're all allowed an opinion here and I was asking for them.

We're all good now people. Jimmy hipster got reprimanded and they are now packing up and leaving. I will have my backyard back shortly and the wife is happy. She got a new patio.:eek:

I think some people missed the part that you were getting something out of it.
That should ameliorate the car issue.

I would have gone down taken everything off the car, unplugged the cord and and got everyone away from the car. The first time. Second time their stuff would get thrown in every direction, and it would go down hill fast from there. I’m part Viking and have, literally, gone berserk before.

The crew shouldn't mess with your stuff but if they do is there a neighbors driveway or garage you can park it in? No you shouldn't have to but if it is important to you...............and no you aren't a jerk.

I'm at a complete loss here? You agreed to let someone use your property on the one circumstance that they don't touch your car whatsoever in any way shape or form nobody.
Honestly I don't care if it was a mound of dirt! You gave an intelligent adult clear instructions. I just don't understand how this could have happened.
I don't think anybody should lean on anybody's car for any reason unless it's their own or they've asked.

I see it all the time. Car shows, grocery stores pretty much anywhere. Cars, furniture, homes (leaving shoes on) etc... Its a mix of lack of respect and that many people place no value on things or ideas that are not theirs.

-
Back