How fast have you gone in a gas sipper?

-

pedalpowerceo

Reaction score
So, we are on a road trip in west Texas going 85mph on I-10 in my wife's Armada. Nissan versa hatchback with a smashed front bumper passes us like we are standing still. And the wind is really whipping out here, blowing us around and we are loaded for bear, three kids and camping gear.
How fast have y'all gone in one of these little cars. Not the Nissan Versa specifically, just any little car like that. Do they get squirrely with body damage at that speed? All my vehicles have V 8's. My wife and I are driving along wondering and I said, The guys and girls on FABO know all! Figured it would make for an interesting conversation anyways.

The squirrelyness is in the head of that driver, but I have never noticed a difference in any small car just because of front end damage.
I have driven some small rental cars with the pedal on the floor the entire drive. LOL
None with any front end damage though.

image.jpeg

have had my echo,yaris and fit all over 100 at times.. no body damage though.. cruise to work at about 80-85 MPH (16 years now).. no problems.. now on real high wind days yes you can feel it.. but those days you feel it in just about anything you are driving..

Brought a Saturn home 50 miles for the youngest daughter and I was nervous going over 65 in a tin can that I could not see metal when looking out the windows. I drive Crown Vic`s and trucks.

seems like aerodynamics must be a big part of going that speed with a 1.6 or 1.2 liter engine. I wonder if the guy who passed us could have got an extra mile or two an hour if he taped that bumper cover down with some nascar speed tape.

My 1998 Corolla will rock when I meet a truck going the other way more so than the other cars I have..... I took it across South Dakota this summer and it would rock and get "pushed" by cross winds.... I ran it around 70-75 mph. Dumb little thing... LOL

If a 71 Gremlin, inline 6 / 232 ci qualifies... 103 mph

careful,a 78 mph speeding ticket cost over $481 her in CA. Dont ask me.....;-(
Had SC400 up to 110 and I averaged over 90 on my run from central TX to CA. Left at about 3pm and was in Riverside by 6AM the next morning...with a stop for dinner. Smooth as a sofa.
PS> LOVE the I-10 in Texas, smooth as glass!

96 Neon ACR, 120 no problem, smooth as silk. Plenty left, electronically limited to 130 mph.

Last edited:
I've squeezed 32 MPG out of my V6 6 speed '14 Camaro before. If that qualifies as a "gas sipper", It'll cruise at 120 MPH all day long.

Other than that, I've been over 100 MPH in a Honda Prelude before and that's not something I want to do again. Went the same speed in a Mini Cooper and it was much less terrifying. When going fast, I prefer something that doesn't get tossed around by the wind.

remember most cars today use aerodynamics to slip through the air for better fuel economy, bet not to many of them are put in the wind tunnel sideways to check on how they perform in a crosswind.

1968 Hemi Roadrunner - 125 mph, US 1-9 Newark N.J. at the Elizabeth, N.J. line near the Budweiser brewery. That was in April of 1969.

On the drag strip: 207.49 mph, Alky Altered "AA/AA" (Donovan Hemi). 1978 or 79 IIRC.

Had a '67 Fiat when I was a kid. (Motorized bean can) 35 mpg. Around 100. Best I remember, it handled pretty well, but I was a kid then. What did I know.

The wife had our '16 200 topped out at 119. We averaged 32-33mpg on our trip up to the Nats and on up to pa and back last weekend

I had the wifes 03 Maxima at a 100 + and climbing with peddle left, before she told me to knock it off.

I had a 1983 Shelby Charger that I bought new and I was driving from Gadsden Alabama in route to Frankfort Ky for a hearing on whether or not they were going to suspend my license (don't judge me) The speedo only went to 80mph but according to the tach I was doing over 120 the entire trip. I fell in behind a guy driving a Volvo who was flying and I just never let off till we got to Lexington Ky because I needed gas. Filled it up and checked my mileage and I averaged 42 mpg. Kind of pissed me off because it only got 32 mpg at 55 mph.
On the other hand I had my Viper up to 160 a couple of weeks ago racing a Hellcat and it can average 19 mpg in sixth gear.

what about the other way around?

I got caught in the rain yesterday and didn't dare to go over 50 on the highway (408 duster with N50-14 tires)

-
Back