• Yes I assemble and do some machining of my motors/engines

Votes: 85 26.2%
  • No I do not, Im not equipped to do and I pay other to do so

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • No, I dont know how and I pay somebody to do it for me

Votes: 19 5.8%

• Total voters
-
I do clearancing and some minor machining as needed and all the assembly. Been doing it for about 25 yrs. now. I used to do it for buddies too but my back gives me too much trouble now to do anything more than my own projects.

This thread has confirmed my belief that most of DO build our own stuff, thats most of the fun, right?

Ive been told by many lames on here that this is not the case and that my way does not cater to the masses, just the minority.....but thats been proven farse by this thread.

I have had nothing but an up hill battle in this hobby, nothing but doubters and experts telling me im wrong ...just before I prove Im right, over and over agian....

Ive been losing interest in this because of it, so im going away for a bit.

Yes, it's part of the fun IMO... Going out and putting the pedal to the wood is the other part of the fun, LOL

Take a break but don't be a stranger Justin.

I have built a few (with supervision), never attempted one on my own. My new motor I had professionally done and asked him if I could participate to learn more. He has been very understanding and an incredible wealth of knowledge. I am happy I chose to go this route this time. I probably ask way to many questions but, I appreciate him explaining to me what is going on and his attention to details.

I built my first engine at 17. In my day if you couldn't build you own stuff, you were not really a racer. It gives me such a good feeling to build an engine that runs well. Below is may last engine. Unfortunately I spect it at sea level and bulit it at 4000'. Took a while to make it run right up here. I had to change cams and intake, Tickle the carb forever. It now runs quicker and faster than it did when I had 4.30's with the 3.23's I have now

Attachments

• racecar 001.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 348
I do car engines and bike engines too. I do head porting, but I have to get blocks/barrels bored and valve seats done.....I have no machines for that.

I assemble mine
I got ripped off pretty bad when I was younger, so from that point on I put them together.
between mine and friends I might have built 10, hardly an expert,
mostly very mild builds, ranging from 7.44 to mid 9's in the 1/8th
fun, cheap, street and bracket cars

I do my own. Help and support from friends helps. And/or when you need to do some fabrication.

Attachments

• 1_16_11Sm01.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 1_20_11Sm06.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 307
  • 1_21_11Sm6.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 3_9_11Sm06.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 303
I started at 19. Used to do it for a living. Then for spare cash, next for only friends, and now I only have time to do my own. I can do everything but hardened exhaust seats, boring, crankshaft grinding, and crank balancing. I'm now 56.

I don't have many digital pics of the engines I've done.
I made the extended oil pump drive and gear ( for the fitment of a remote oil filter) for the 1935 Willys 77 engine as well as a new stainless steel shaft for the water pump.
The close up of the carby on the 351C, I made the fuel delivery line....from 10mm alloy tubing.

Attachments

• Nathan's 351C 26 OCT 07 019_resize.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 300
  • 1935 Willys '77' engine 011.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 325
  • Willys Engine & G'box 003_resize.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 310
  • Willys Engine & G'box 006.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 320
  • Willys Engine & G'box 004.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 313
  • Nathan's 351C 26 OCT 07 014_resize.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 305
  • IMGP0732_resize.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 305
I've rebuilt a number of engines, all different brands, even some 4 bangers. I've even done some of the minor machine work; honing, re-threading, even grinding ( I have 3 die grinders, 2 electric and 1 pneumatic for my job that I've pressed into service at times) welding and such.

I'm pretty detailed when it comes to assemble, and since I use it for relaxation therapy, I'm never in a hurry. I've never built a hobby car on a deadline. Don't suppose I ever will. No reason to. It's a hobby, not a job. lol

I can do everything except machine work. Paint, body, interior, suspension, engine.... That would be the plus side of working at a resto shop.

Its been awhile but I can/have assembled motors, heads, etc. I dont do any machine work, I dont have the tools for that. Dont do it enough to justify buying the tools, compared to paying to have the work done.

i put together all my B R/B and LA engines myself.i send the blocks out for block prep, get em home and build build build.its one of the most gratifying parts of my hobby.if they are going to blow up,it is going to be my fault and no-one elses.havent had one let go yet.

Attachments

• a55.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 287
I do!!......it's one of the most fun and rewarding parts of building a car, IMO. I've probably built over 10 engines, 2 bug engines, 2 corvairs, a few Mopars, a few SBC's, a 3.8 Buick V6, a Fiat 2000. It's fun. It takes me a long time though, because I'm a clean-freak and I love Lock-titing everything too. The time doesn't really bother me too much. I haven't had a failure yet.

machined and built engines for over 10 years professionally. i've since switched carers but still do some work in the garage.

january2010019.jpg

70roadrunner020.jpg

70roadrunner023.jpg

68barracuda001.jpg

3109034.jpg

3109004.jpg

3109036.jpg

Planning to rebuild a slant 6 225 out of my 64 dart. Still runs good but has a knock in the bottom end. I don't have what I need to pull the motor or the funds at the moment. Anyone know how to pull the oil pan while it's in the car? Maybe an easy fix if I could see the problem. I've tried everything I know besides pulling the pan off. Sounds like a rod bearing or wrist pin.

Yeah, I assemble, sadly I could do my own machine work, BUT the machines I have, aren't big enough to handle such a task.....BUT I have done boring, and milling in the past on engines and ported heads....

i have assembled some of my own too....all stock stuff......when i was still in college i would use the auto shop during the summer to my advantage.

One instructor liked that i was interested in machine work and he showed me how to bore cylinders and he showed me on my own 383 and i used the heck out of their hot tank.

I have put together a few 340s at home.....but they were just tear down and refresh.....or as some call it ...an overhaul.....not so much a rebuild.

i am not sure what i am going to do now that i graduated and i dont have access to the auto shop anymore. :banghead:

i can put up pics later of a cool 340 i freshened up for a dart sport

I'll be doing the re and re on my stroker this fall after 1 last trip to Moparfest this august , gotta get it ready for something bigger than cross Canada .

I love to rebuild my own engines bcs to me it's like bringing life to the car. Worked at a performance engine shop in phoenix for a couple years building mild performance engines, mostly Chevys and fords and and only 2 mopars bcs my boss didn't like them and 1 year doing short block reman engines on a variety of makes. Only had 7 failures out of just alittle under a thousand engines, 5 were repairable but the other 2 were catastrophic, lesson learned , Got out of those jobs but do it for my own projects. Did valve grinding and porting but any other machine work I take it to the shop. I'm really picky on how I assemble my engines and I found too many shady shops that I don't trust to where I rather spend the time and build my own engines which I like to do!

I always do as much as I can myself. To me , it's the most fun part of the car build. Besides the insurance that it was done correctly. I have used several different Machine shops over the years. Some are better than others. I've had issues with a few of them, but I'm pretty picky.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 395
  • 010.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 194
I assemble my own engines. The machining is farmed out of course but I like to do as much work on my own as I can. It keeps the hobby as affordable as possible.

-
Back