How much HP from SBM ProComps? Well... 670HP!

-
The same daylight under both front tires is a good sign. I'm not partial to so much rise in the rear - make sure the shocks have enough extension for what you have. The 2nd picture looks like the tires slightly unload compared to #3.
And don't sweat the difference in horsepower. Dynos are not reality and horsepower numbers off them mean very little unless you're selling something. You've got a good engine there.

Has anyone heard any updates about production of these heads ? Still wishing I had grabbed them when the cheap package deal was still available .

Always remember the Dyno horsepower is corrected .....it is not the actual HP made by the engine but software corrected to Standard air temp 60 degrees and 29.92 barometer

And some are more "corrected" than others...

@mopowers

Clear out your PM box... LOL

I did that at a friends shop to aid the correction factor before moving out here. Nothing a 10-15 dollar vaporizer can't fix on a good air day! Box in the weather station and feed hot humid air to the environment. Instant 15%+ correction factor. :)

Posts like this are the reason I HATE dyno's and dyno numbers. 40 plus years of building engines and I've never had or wanted one on a dyno.

yep it really depends on the person when it's all said and done , do you believe that person is able to produce a consistantly accurate reading or is there too much going on around it all to do that , I'm not saying Mike did anything wrong or intentional deceptive , he just did the same thing every time I'm sure and the result was maybe skewed the same every time through a programming or parameter error , what Dynos are good for is comparing two things at the same time , run 2 engines one after the other on the same day in the same weather and you will get a result you can compare between them .Now if one is known to be x hp y tq then you can use that to figure what the other is to a reasonable margin of error but individual results will always be suspect .

Like I been saying on FABO for years, a dyno is a tool for controlled break-in, and it is occasionally used by shops a "sales tool" It's the "sales tool" aspect that irritates me...

Like I been saying on FABO for years, a dyno is a tool for controlled break-in, and it is occasionally used by shops a "sales tool" It's the "sales tool" aspect that irritates me...

You should probably tell all the Pro Stock guys how worthless their dyno's are. And their spintrons. And the flow benches they use.

A dyno and a torque wrench are the same thing. You can make them lie. Why bash the tool? I could tell a guy + or - 3 MPH of what his car should run with my dyno numbers. ET is hook.

You should probably tell all the Pro Stock guys how worthless their dyno's are. And their spintrons. And the flow benches they use.

A dyno and a torque wrench are the same thing. You can make them lie. Why bash the tool? I could tell a guy + or - 3 MPH of what his car should run with my dyno numbers. ET is hook.
I didn't say dynos are worthless, I said it irritates me when they are used as a "sales tool" this very thread is a good example, engine builder brags in a open forum that he made the most power to date with procomp heads...but once installed in a dedicated race car, it ran 122 MPH... that my freind, sure as hell aint close to no 670 horsepower.

I didn't say dynos are worthless, I said it irritates me when they are used as a "sales tool" this very thread is a good example, engine builder brags in a open forum that he made the most power to date with procomp heads...but once installed in a dedicated race car, it ran 122 MPH... that my freind, sure as hell aint close to no 670 horsepower.

Yep and cars that weigh 200 less and 200 fewer HP run that same basic MPH!

Right, so you should be pissed off at the guy running the dyno and the customers who are too stupid to deal with the truth and would rather be lied to. I've seen it done with dyno's and flow benches. Try and explain to someone why their 400 CFM actually only flowed 375 and then you work on them and they flow 360 and yet are quicker. You'll be lucky to get paid.

I agree with both. That ain't 670hp. BIG LOL!! And blaming the dyno is like blaming the gun. (metaphorically speaking of course)

Right, so you should be pissed off at the guy running the dyno and the customers who are too stupid to deal with the truth and would rather be lied to. I've seen it done with dyno's and flow benches. Try and explain to someone why their 400 CFM actually only flowed 375 and then you work on them and they flow 360 and yet are quicker. You'll be lucky to get paid.
Well, I kinda am!

OP makes 8 passes, lifting on 4, is sorting out a new combo, provided a guess of car weight, no DA info when the car was run, and lots of folks throw the engine builder under the bus.

Man, I read the first post in this thread this morning for the first time and yelled a word I haven't said in years! LOL. Then I when I saw the mph... YUP!

OP makes 8 passes, lifting on 4, is sorting out a new combo, provided a guess of car weight, no DA info when the car was run, and lots of folks throw the engine builder under the bus.
The first day at the track was the shakedown of new engine. He went on to say the best pass of the SEASON was 11.15 @ 122 MPH

Was thinking the same thing .

Let it go. Bury the body again. It has served no useful purpose to re-examine the corpse.

Are you kidding me this should be a sticky for crying out loud! This is the exact kind of bull crap that people need to know about. 670 horsepower! please!

Let it go. Bury the body again. It has served no useful purpose to re-examine the corpse.

Are you kidding me this should be a sticky for crying out loud! This is the exact kind of bull crap that people need to know about. 670 horsepower! please!

LOL. My small block Duster goes 940's@138 mph (2860 pounds) and I don't think I even have 670 horsepower. But then again all I care about is the ET slip. Maybe after this Winters upgrade I might be there.

-
Back