Inputs on a home built 318 for red light to red light fun

-
You don't want to use dome pistons.
Why? If you point to flame front travel with the dome I’d say that’s a good reason but it can be milled down. Sometimes the dome is a necessary evil that can be worked around/ignored.
You'd be better off with having your block zero deck. I don't think that you can run a 0.027" thick gasket. I think that you would be better off with a quench distance of 0.039". Having the block decked and squared is a good idea too. Quality machine work and parts are important. I don't know why you want to spin your 318 to 7,500 rpm's, for some reason everyone thinks that you have to spin it to make power, not true. Your combination is all mismatched, big carburetor, you didn't mention a intake manifold and the cylinder heads have way to little valves and ports for your intended goal. From what I've read on your op, I think that you would be happier if you built your engine for better throttle response and low to midrange torque, I say this because you didn't mention that you were building a race car.
He mentioned 7.99 in the 1-8 which is about equal to a mid 12-1/4 mile car. Not exactly race but he did say light to light ….. sounds like racing vs your pedestrian granny ride.
Magnum heads would increase the cost of the build as they have to be checked for cracks and the cost of a magnum only intake manifold.
The heads come remanufactured. Crack checks done.
The Magnum inky intake is a draw back limited to the chink knock offs, Edelbrock’s RPM or the super hard to find and most likely outrageously priced MP-M1 series of intakes. There is also the Indy single plane intake.
I was lead to believe that the 302 heads are no longer available, does rock auto have them?
A head I wouldn’t use.
From what I understand what the op is wanting to do, I think that a 500 - 600 cfm carburetor would be good along with a good dual plane intake.
More carb would be better. Can you run a 12 second 1/4 with a 600? Sure! Will you run faster with a 750? Hell yea!

302 heads with a good comp valve job and back cut the valve's. Cam wise I'd say a 340 or similar cam.
Your really selling him short!
Have the block decked so pistons are at zero deck height, good quench will help with detonation. I'm thinking that if he builds as he posted that he will be disappointed. He would need at least a 3500 stall converter for the cam he would need to spin 7500 and now he would have transmission heat problems.
I don’t know how you come to that conclusion but that is all 100% false and shows you know nothing on what your writing about.

Thanks. I've been reading and paying attention what you guys recommend

I don’t think so! Not one bit! Not even close!

Last edited:
"Pop up" Pistons and closed chamber heads...? Hmmm....
Yeah. Millions of engines came right from the factory with them. I have a big block Chevy less than 100 feet away with closed chamber heads and domed pistons.

Yeah. Millions of engines came right from the factory with them. I have a big block Chevy less than 100 feet away with closed chamber heads and domed pistons.
I have found the "Un-watch thread" feature comes in real handy.

I have found the "Un-watch thread" feature comes in real handy.
Now why would I do a FOOL thing like that? Ain't near as fun. lol

I don't have it watched anyway. I don't have any threads watched.

Every time you comment it is "watched".
No it doesn't. I have ZERO threads in my "watched thread list". You have to physically click on the link in the upper right to watch a thread. At least I do. Mods may watch threads automatically. I don't know.

No it doesn't. I have ZERO threads in my "watched thread list". You have to physically click on the link in the upper right to watch a thread. At least I do. Mods may watch threads automatically. I don't know.
Well excuse me!

Replying to post #76. So you are saying that quench is not important and that a high stall converter doesn't create extra transmission heat, if this is what you saying your wrong. Every time I make a suggestion or give a opinion your one of the first to always say that I'm wrong.

Replying to post #76. So you are saying that quench is not important and that a high stall converter doesn't create extra transmission heat, if this is what you saying your wrong. Every time I make a suggestion or give a opinion your one of the first to always say that I'm wrong.

Delete post

Last edited:
Replying to post #76. So you are saying that quench is not important and that a high stall converter doesn't create extra transmission heat, if this is what you saying your wrong.
Thats putting words in my mouth.
You assume to much on something I never said.
I never said quench is important or not important.
I never said a high stall converter doesn’t create more heat.
Every time I make a suggestion or give a opinion your one of the first to always say that I'm wrong.
Because the advice or tech point you bring up is wrong.

On the flip side, your idea of a streetable car engine is a good one and has good merit. To bad your not paying attention to what the desired outcome of the OE poster wants. (And that’s why your wrong.)

Let me ask you what you would do to build a 318 capable of a solid 12.5 ET - 318 engine for the 1/4 mile?

Id get a 340/360. Youd need the top end from one of those engines anyway, If you are scrounging up half of a 340/360 why not just get the whole thing...:)
Let's not go there. While you're at it, why not just buy a different car with a bigger engine in it. This thread is about the OP using the 318 and parts he already owns.

Id get a 340/360. Youd need the top end from one of those engines anyway, If you are scrounging up half of a 340/360 why not just get the whole thing...:)
Why can’t you just freakin help the guy out building what he’s got instead of being a jerk?

Better yet, give him a complete 360 for free since it seems like there is no issue for YOU to do a swap. For sure you must have a spare 360 ready to run or build in your stash.

Why can’t you just freakin help the guy out building what he’s got instead of being a jerk?

Better yet, give him a complete 360 for free since it seems like there is no issue for YOU to do a swap. For sure you must have a spare 360 ready to run or build in your stash.

OP get a book titled "how to rebuild your small block Mopar" and assemble the engine. Check back in and tell us all about it. Pay attention to torque specs. and keep things clean going together. You could use any shop manual all you need is the torque specs. You have to know how to set ring gaps ,a good set of rings will have instructions in the package. Just do it don't get too hung up asking questions here. You'll know the first time punching the pedal if its good or not. In all reality a stock 318 from 1974 would be a good light to light engine, its all in the rear gears. Someone mentioned 3.91:1 I knew a feller with a 73 Duster with a stock 318 it was a hoot this was back in the 80s when the car was like 10 years old.

Last edited:
Guys... guys ...guys I'm not in here to get people to fight with others.. really I'm not what I'm trying to do is just use what I have to build this 318 yes as many have said is to use aftermarket parts only as I said before I'm trying to stay strictly as to if I was in 1967 and I was building this with what was available yes ik newer engine such as the Mangum have great heads and all that but I want to stay to the year 1967 and back I have looked at isk and racer brown for cams as for intake I don't think aluminum was available then nor was it ok to use in the super stock class in 1967 reason for the cast iron intake and for the 4 speed almost all drag cars and street race cars were 4 speed then I don't want to go auto the stock bore is only because the bore is fine I'm not gunna bore it if I don't need to... all I'm asking n hoped to here was to know if this would work if not how can I use this block and some of what I already have to make a period correct 1967 street to strip motor

I’ll take a shot at this.

1. If the OP wants to run 12’s he can pick up an old DC/MP catalog and see how little it takes to go 12’s. It ain’t hard.
2. Everyone thinks 7500 rpm is screaming. It’s not. He really doesn’t need to shift any higher than 6500 to run far, far into the 12’s.

Now for Dan’s post.

1. Quench is far less important than you think it is. Especially with a small block Chrysler. It’s not a junk chevy. Why is that? Because there are things that are much more important than quench distance even though the long hair types think everything starts and ends with quench. I’m not saying to ignore it. I’m saying don’t get married to a design criteria to the detriment of something else. Plug location is NUMBER 1. The SBM has about as good of plug location you can get in an in-line wedge head. Rod ratio is number 2. A R/S ratio of say 1.7 to 1.85 will change the volume of the combustion chamber around TDC and that affects combustion etc. So reading **** on the 89% chevy centric internet doesn’t help increase your knowledge base. You actually have to build this junk, get it on a dyno to test and then get to a track and validate your testing.

2. When was the last time you drove a car with a “high stall” converter? Of course I have to ask how long is a rope. That’s the same as saying high stall. Some guys believe 3500 or 3000 is high stall. By todays standard that’s about as stock as you can get. I have several cars running around with 9.5 inch converters and one that’s running an 8 inch converter. The lowest stall is 3600. The highest stall is 5500. And they STREET drive these things all the time. Do they make more heat? Yes. Can you do something about it? Yes. Then it becomes of question of what to do to drive stuff like this on the street.

The number 1 thing about driving what most consider an unstreetable converter on the street is to learn to drive. The 9.5 inch converters require less attention to detail but you have to learn to DRIVE. If you think putting the shifter in D and rolling merrily along is the golden way then you need to build way less engine and use a stock converter.

If you want to control/reduce transmission temperature you have to learn that the way most dudes drive is WRONG for what we are discussing. Loping along in town at 35 mph in high gear will cause the temperature to climb rapidly. And this is exactly why God put a shift lever in these cars. Instead of running around in D, lugging the engine right into detonation and driving your transmission temperature through the roof you need to drop into the 2 hole. That will raise the rpm up and get the converter closer to locking up (as close as it will lock up) and keep the temperature under control.

It all starts with the driver. If the driver isn’t capable of understanding and driving the car appropriately then you need to do otherwise and give up on the dream of having a car that runs 9’s or 10’s or 12’s on the street and drives like a Prius. That’s just not reality.

The second thing is to get a correctly sized, QUALITY transmission cooler. It’s not hard to do but it has to be done. On top of that, no one should EVER run the cooler lines through the radiator. That is insane. If you run the transmission fluid through the radiator with 160 or 170 degree coolant in it (or even higher) and then trying to go through an external cooler to reduce the temperature you are fighting against your own cause. Keep your transmission fluid out of the radiator.

The last piece of the puzzle is buying a quality synthetic ATF. The chances of getting a quality oil from a box store is damn near zero. But it’s ok. With a little forethought and some planning you can have the brown truck drop the fluid right at your door.

Those three simple things (one of which costs exactly ZERO) is all you need to do to drive a good converter on the street. And yes, a good converter will be barely noticeable while driving around.

It’s not that RF is saying you’re wrong. He is trying to tell you that YOU dont have the experience to discuss what the OP is talking about. That isn’t offensive in any way. It’s a fact. I can say from reading your posts you have never driven an honest 12 second car on the street. I can say from reading your posts you’ve never built a 12 second engine either. It’s not something to be ashamed of, but it is important that anything you read on the Internet or see on TV be applied before handing out advice.

I’m all for reading anything you can get your eyes on. Same with watching **** on YT or TV or whatever. At some point you have to get out of the easy chair and start applying what you see and learn from those media and then testing it. I’ve said the biggest thing I learned from buying my own flow bench was that 95% of what you read on porting and flow testing is 100% bullshit. But I wouldn’t have known that had I not bought the bench and started testing.

Same with using a dyno. Engine or chassis. Like a flow bench they are tools and they have limitations and such and if you don’t recognize those limitations you will get bad data. It’s the same here.

No one is trying to offend you. They are telling you to go get some real experience before you get all dogmatic on your thinking.

Last edited:
THANK YOU SIR!

My basic suggestion above on how to build what I believe he is looking for nearly comes straight out of the last issuance of the MP book from the “Speed Tip” section where I have never found a person that followed these “Tips” to ever complain about these tips not being able to produce the time slips there sectioned into but I have heard a few fellas saying they actually performed better than what the parts list said they would run in.

Im not the worlds smartest guy and in fact I’ll just make the statement that I’m only slightly better than a box of rocks. Which means I’m slightly better than a pile of dirt because I have some of my **** together. I’m also sure I’ll get a few things wrong in the future!

I don’t have a ba-zillion dollars to figure this crap out on my own. Though I did a lot of testing the old school way since there was no internet to gleam information from. I’d purchase the damn part, install it myself and go out on the road and down to the track and whoop up on the car and see how it works.

I’ve tested 14 different small block intakes and a good dozen plus camshafts because know one knew anything about how well it would work. So, now I do!

35 years ago at work I met Terry M. A MoPar guy that made the suggestion to get the MP book and read up, follow along & take my engine work to one of two places since they knew MoPars and were of top quality workmanship. That ended a lot of pain listening to Terry, a MoPar racer! A guy that has been there and by God willing still doing it!

I pay attention to those that have been there done that maybe even still doing it and for sure those experimenting in the field. It’ll save you a lot of time, money and despair. It’ll give you more time on the street/track enjoying the car.

Reading is fundamental and reading comprehension is a must!

I’ll take a shot at this.

1. If the OP wants to run 12’s he can pick up an old DC/MP catalog and see how little it takes to go 12’s. It ain’t hard.
2. Everyone thinks 7500 rpm is screaming. It’s not. He really doesn’t need to shift any higher than 6500 to run far, far into the 12’s.

Now for Dan’s post.

1. Quench is far less important than you think it is. Especially with a small block Chrysler. It’s not a junk chevy. Why is that? Because there are things that are much more important than quench distance even though the long hair types think everything starts and ends with quench. I’m not saying to ignore it. I’m saying don’t get married to a design criteria to the detriment of something else. Plug location is NUMBER 1. The SBM has about as good of plug location you can get in an in-line wedge head. Rod ratio is number 2. A R/S ratio of say 1.7 to 1.85 will change the volume of the combustion chamber around TDC and that affects combustion etc. So reading **** on the 89% chevy centric internet doesn’t help increase your knowledge base. You actually have to build this junk, get it on a dyno to test and then get to a track and validate your testing.

2. When was the last time you drove a car with a “high stall” converter? Of course I have to ask how long is a rope. That’s the same as saying high stall. Some guys believe 3500 or 3000 is high stall. By todays standard that’s about as stock as you can get. I have several cars running around with 9.5 inch converters and one that’s running an 8 inch converter. The lowest stall is 3600. The highest stall is 5500. And they STREET drive these things all the time. Do they make more heat? Yes. Can you do something about it? Yes. Then it becomes of question of what to do to drive stuff like this on the street.

The number 1 thing about driving what most consider an unstreetable converter on the street is to learn to drive. The 9.5 inch converters require less attention to detail but you have to learn to DRIVE. If you think putting the shifter in D and rolling merrily along is the golden way then you need to build way less engine and use a stock converter.

If you want to control/reduce transmission temperature you have to learn that the way most dudes drive is WRONG for what we are discussing. Loping along in town at 35 mph in high gear will cause the temperature to climb rapidly. And this is exactly why God put a shift lever in these cars. Instead of running around in D, lugging the engine right into detonation and driving your transmission temperature through the roof you need to drop into the 2 hole. That will raise the rpm up and get the converter closer to locking up (as close as it will lock up) and keep the temperature under control.

It all starts with the driver. If the driver isn’t capable of understanding and driving the car appropriately then you need to do otherwise and give up on the dream of having a car that runs 9’s or 10’s or 12’s on the street and drives like a Prius. That’s just not reality.

The second thing is to get a correctly sized, QUALITY transmission cooler. It’s not hard to do but it has to be done. On top of that, no one should EVER run the cooler lines through the radiator. That is insane. If you run the transmission fluid through the radiator with 160 or 170 degree coolant in it (or even higher) and then trying to go through an external cooler to reduce the temperature you are fighting against your own cause. Keep your transmission fluid out of the radiator.

The last piece of the puzzle is buying a quality synthetic ATF. The chances of getting a quality oil from a box store is damn near zero. But it’s ok. With a little forethought and some planning you can have the brown truck drop the fluid right at your door.

Those three simple things (one of which costs exactly ZERO) is all you need to do to drive a good converter on the street. And yes, a good converter will be barely noticeable while driving around.

It’s not that RF is saying you’re wrong. He is trying to tell you that YOU dont have the experience to discuss what the OP is talking about. That isn’t offensive in any way. It’s a fact. I can say from reading your posts you have never driven an honest 12 second car on the street. I can say from reading your posts you’ve never built a 12 second engine either. It’s not something to be ashamed of, but it is important that anything you read on the Internet or see on TV be applied before handing out advice.

I’m all for reading anything you can get your eyes on. Same with watching **** on YT or TV or whatever. At some point you have to get out of the easy chair and start applying what you see and learn from those media and then testing it. I’ve said the biggest thing I learned from buying my own flow bench was that 95% of what you read on porting and flow testing is 100% bullshit. But I wouldn’t have known that had I not bought the bench and started testing.

Same with using a dyno. Engine or chassis. Like a flow bench they are tools and they have limitations and such and if you don’t recognize those limitations you will get bad data. It’s the same here.

No one is trying to offend you. They are telling you to go get some real experience before you get all dogmatic on your thinking.

Guys... guys ...guys I'm not in here to get people to fight with others.. really I'm not what I'm trying to do is just use what I have to build this 318

It happens every 273/318 thread some can't stand people building anything other than 360/408 even they pick on people doing 340. And one that make no sense since it suppose to be about displacement some argue against Big Blocks, think for the most part they leave /6 guys alone. Not that they don't have a point it's just someone wants to do something other than a 360/408 help or go away.

Ok so say I start clean slate here and I have just a 318 block here and the year is 1967 and I needed to build a super stocker for drag racing goal is to run 12s in the 1/4 which someone stated before would be the same as my goal of 7.99 in the 1/8 now how would I meet thay goal using only what was available and seeing how it's a 318 and they were only poly motors back they we will pretend it's a 273 block

Ok so say I start clean slate here and I have just a 318 block here and the year is 1967 and I needed to build a super stocker for drag racing goal is to run 12s in the 1/4 which someone stated before would be the same as my goal of 7.99 in the 1/8 now how would I meet thay goal using only what was available and seeing how it's a 318 and they were only poly motors back they we will pretend it's a 273 block

Inputs on a home built 318 for red light to red light fun

-
Back