Is there such a thing as a 5000 stall converter that is streetable ?

-
call: dynamic, ultimate or ptc and ask them about it.. my guess is that they can build one that will be fine on the street.. that converter technology is incredible these days.

I’m sure there have been many 5000+ flash stall speed converters that have completed drag week.

yea, the green 74 Duster with roller and Bloomer heads that went 10.22@ 132 has 5300/5400 ish convertor in it.
drag week car

The answer is YES. But, if the operator isn’t competent then NO.

Thats why God made throttle pedals and shifters. Learn to use them correctly and you can run about any converter you want.

Physics has little to do with it.

Thats why God made throttle pedals and shifters. Learn to use them correctly and you can run about any converter you want.

yea, I don’t get why anybody would argue about the validity or issue running a high flash vert on the street.
hundreds of guys on drag week and other such tests do it every year.

Post #46. Modern technology doesn't override physics.
Modern technology most certainly DOES override 1970s and 1980s physics. Technology continues to evolve around physics. If you continue to argue a 5K RPM converter cannot be streetable, you just FLAT don't know what you're talking about. You need to find someone down there who has a modern converter and go for a ride. You'll be amazed, I promise.

Exactly, because technology keeps surprising physics around every turn.

Post #46. Modern technology doesn't override physics.

I just choked on my spit. Physics this. Lol.

7E3890BF-5541-4D8D-BA32-4C4B49DDB1CF.jpeg

To keep the power band continuous ?

The converter housing, hooked to the motor, and the impeller, hooked to the trans, spin at different speeds and use fluid flow between the two to transfer energy/motion from the housing (propeller) to the impeller.
Picture a fan blowing on another fan and making the second fan move; this is basically what a torque converter does. Because they're spinning at different speeds, the output torque is different (converted) from the input torque.

If the two are spinning at the same speed, the fluid moving between them isn't transmitting any more energy from one to the other, so there's no conversion of torque. They're not mechanically connected, so no motion transfer happens at all. They're just free wheeling. This is stall.

Stall RPM has to be higher than peak power so that you don't stop transmitting energy from engine to transmission right when the gettin' is good.

randy_marsh_covered_in_ectoplasm.jpg

Modern technology most certainly DOES override 1970s and 1980s physics. Technology continues to evolve around physics. If you continue to argue a 5K RPM converter cannot be streetable, you just FLAT don't know what you're talking about. You need to find someone down there who has a modern converter and go for a ride. You'll be amazed, I promise.
Well it doesnt actually overide it … more like works around it .

Come on Rusty... I figured you'd bust out the old favorite.

It's not the 70-80's anymore where driving with a high stall converter was comparable to stepping on a marshmellow.

God the dynamics of those things when street driving were horrible back then. Come a long way, tight on cruise converters that flash like a ****, best of both worlds now.

If the definition of streetable is 'honest', then there is no 5000 stall c'ter that is streetable. A lot of slippage & heat generated below the stall speed. Quoted stall speeds are generic. The greater the tq produced by the engine, the higher the stall speed.
Not sure why you say this. I have one and it is very streetable. There are guys on here with WAY more power than mine and they have them too and state they are streetable. Maybe your definition of streetable is different than were thinking?

In the summer heat (around 90F), I drove mine 15 miles to the Woodward Dream Cruise (the one they estimate at 1 million people!), idled around in traffic as part of the cruise for about 30 min, drove some of the more open stretch for about 20 min, then drove home about 18 miles. To and from were on roads 50 mph and below. Did that 2 days in a row. Trans temp was never a concern - maybe 180 at the highest. That's my definition of a streetable car!

And driving it - you would never suspect a high stall t/c. It backs out of the driveway or pulls away from a light like a normal car UNLESS you hammer it. If you do, hang on! I can only imagine what some of these other higher powered cars on here feel like that drive their 5000+ stall t/c's on the street. Gotta get me a ride in one of them (Don - that Dart of yours comes to mind!!)

Should work fine, just don't take it up Lewiston or Whitebird grade.

Not sure why you say this. I have one and it is very streetable. There are guys on here with WAY more power than mine and they have them too and state they are streetable. Maybe your definition of streetable is different than were thinking?

In the summer heat (around 90F), I drove mine 15 miles to the Woodward Dream Cruise (the one they estimate at 1 million people!), idled around in traffic as part of the cruise for about 30 min, drove some of the more open stretch for about 20 min, then drove home about 18 miles. To and from were on roads 50 mph and below. Did that 2 days in a row. Trans temp was never a concern - maybe 180 at the highest. That's my definition of a streetable car!

And driving it - you would never suspect a high stall t/c. It backs out of the driveway or pulls away from a light like a normal car UNLESS you hammer it. If you do, hang on! I can only imagine what some of these other higher powered cars on here feel like that drive their 5000+ stall t/c's on the street. Gotta get me a ride in one of them (Don - that Dart of yours comes to mind!!)

Mine doesn’t remotely pull away from a stop light like a normal car.
mine pulls away like the tranny is going away until I get to about 2600-2800, then it starts moving..lol

I drive my powerglide car around the track with a 5850 stall spragless converter and I’d swear it’s a holeshot street converter

I guess it depends on your definition of what streetable is. Mine would not include feeling like a clutch slipping when below the stall speed & under load.
And it has everything to do with physics. To get higher stall speeds, you reduce the c'ter diam. Don't know of any 12-13" cters with 5000 stall speeds. The tq to drive the the car comes from the centri force generated by the fluid exiting the turbine inside the cter. Big diam cter, bigger turbine, more centri force. If the cter is smaller in diam like a 9" 5000 stall cter, less centri force is generated & slippage occurs until the stall speed is reached. While I haven't mentioned the other parts inside the c'ter, the above is the physics of how the initial fluid force is generated.

I guess it depends on your definition of what streetable is. Mine would not include feeling like a clutch slipping when below the stall speed & under load.
And it has everything to do with physics. To get higher stall speeds, you reduce the c'ter diam. Don't know of any 12-13" cters with 5000 stall speeds. The tq to drive the the car comes from the centri force generated by the fluid exiting the turbine inside the cter. Big diam cter, bigger turbine, more centri force. If the cter is smaller in diam like a 9" 5000 stall cter, less centri force is generated & slippage occurs until the stall speed is reached. While I haven't mentioned the other parts inside the c'ter, the above is the physics of how the initial fluid force is generated.
But they don't feel like that AT ALL if you get the right one. You can get a converter that'll flash to 5K and beyond but will idle around the parking lot at 900 RPM. I'm tellin you, it's nothing like it was 30 plus years ago. Unless you've ridden in one that has a converter like we're discussing here, I promise you that you have no idea. I didn't buy it either, until I rode in a friend's 78 big block Malibu. It drives around like stock but will scrape the back bumper when lanuched.

But they don't feel like that AT ALL if you get the right one. You can get a converter that'll flash to 5K and beyond but will idle around the parking lot at 900 RPM. I'm tellin you, it's nothing like it was 30 plus years ago. Unless you've ridden in one that has a converter like we're discussing here, I promise you that you have no idea. I didn't buy it either, until I rode in a friend's 78 big block Malibu. It drives around like stock but will scrape the back bumper when lanuched.

You’ll never convince Bewy otherwise. He is far behind on converter technology and he’s not willing to catch up.

He’s behind on lots of stuff.

Our buddy has 9.5 ptc 3800 stall in a full weight 70 dart with 3.23 gears and it drives like stock, you would never guess it is anymore than an 11".

Our buddy has 9.5 ptc 3800 stall in a full weight 70 dart with 3.23 gears and it drives like stock, you would never guess it is anymore than an 11".
I also have a PTC 10" 3600 in one of my 70 Chargers with 4:10's and it cruises like stock as well.

To get higher stall speeds, you reduce the c'ter diam.
yes thats what the do. they also put a larger positive pitch on the blades inside to make it tighter faster. there is a good article in mopar enthusiast years ago about them.. its not 1970 any more. t5ime to stop thinking that way...

have a dynamic converter in our dart. mild 360,904 and 3.23 gears. 9.5" converter, flashes to around 3800 and you would never know it wasn't a stock converter driving the car around until you mash the go pedal... makes the car so fun to drive.

You're lost on this one, none of mine have been anything like a slipping clutch.

The days of using a stock Vega or Opal converter are long gone. The converters are now internally modified to do what they do.

-
Back