Is there such a thing as a 5000 stall converter that is streetable ?

-
Both of my friends that are transmission builders run 8 inch converters in their street driven Mopars. They must be wrong too. Lol

Come on Rusty... I figured you'd bust out the old favorite.

It's not the 70-80's anymore where driving with a high stall converter was comparable to stepping on a marshmellow.

God the dynamics of those things when street driving were horrible back then. Come a long way, tight on cruise converters that flash like a ****, best of both worlds now.
I used a bunch of j converters back in the day, no marshmallows there.

That right there^^^^^^is what is known as a FACT!
.... but then again, when this one blew up, I replaced it with a custom 8" Munsinger, that picked my car up two tenths/three mph in the eighth. It was completely streetable in my car (VERY light, lots of rear gear)but then the crux of this discussion REALLY is..... what is streetable?
Means different things to different people.......

20180908_091309.jpg

20180908_091303.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 5200 Ultimate Converter Concepts stall in my 904 and you would never know it was high stall. Lenny told me that at idle I could put it in gear, let off the brake and the car will move. He was correct, new technology is amazing

I have a 5200 Ultimate Converter Concepts stall in my 904 and you would never know it was high stall. Lenny told me that at idle I could put it in gear, let off the brake and the car will move. He was correct, new technology is amazing
Ultimate is the best ! I have three of them : the 8 inch in the 904 in my Dart , a spare 8 inch and they redid the lockup one for the 518 in my D150 ( I picked up over a tenth in 60 ft )

14837D6E-8AF8-4276-871F-4A9553036056.jpeg

Ultimate missed the set up on two converters for me. The Coan in it now is a big improvement.

The days of using a stock Vega or Opal converter are long gone. The converters are now internally modified to do what they do.
I had a Vega converter behind a 327/350 hp SBC in the late 70's. I didn't know enough to put a transmission cooler on it. Smoked the trans and converter in a few days. Made a big difference though.

Ultimate missed the set up on two converters for me. The Coan in it now is a big improvement.
That could be , I guess none of them
are perfect … I would never deal with Coan they ripped my buddy off on a Turbo 400 he built a really sturdy crate to ship his trans to them .. they shipped it back in a card board box it got heavily damaged and they did nothing about it

That could be , I guess none of them
are perfect … I would never deal with Coan they ripped my buddy off on a Turbo 400 he built a really sturdy crate to ship his trans to them .. they shipped it back in a card board box it got heavily damaged and they did nothing about it
It is. I pissed good money away after bad, won't happen again. Having options is always a good thing. :thumbsup:

It is. I pissed good money away after bad, won't happen again. Having options is always a good thing. :thumbsup:
True .. mine are actually Turbo -Action units redone by Ultimate except the lock up one it was a stock unit that came in the truck from the factory

Yet, no matter how hard you argue it, you will never convince some people of that.

Thank you for your sensible comment in post #80.
Some will never get it. The cter is a fluid coupling, is always going to have slippage & the smaller the diam the greater the slippage.
If the 'new techniques' that are applied to small diam high stall cters to tighten up coupling were applied to larger cters, they would have less slippage also. Nothing new there. It depends on what is acceptable.

I’m sure there have been many 5000+ flash stall speed converters that have completed drag week.
Just caught up to this. I completed Dragweek again this year with the SB N/A Demon(Green). 7200 stall, 7500 fall back, shift at 8700-9000. No cooling lines to radiator, large external with fan, manual switch, never seen more than 180*, sender is in pan. I transport the car on a tilt bed trailer that when loading is steeper than most any road grade you will ascend. The old Demon crawls right up never exceeding 2000 rpm. Idle is 1100 rpm (Cam reasons), and yes, she moves when put in gear!

Just caught up to this. I completed Dragweek again this year with the SB N/A Demon(Green). 7200 stall, 7500 fall back, shift at 8700-9000. No cooling lines to radiator, large external with fan, manual switch, never seen more than 180*, sender is in pan. I transport the car on a tilt bed trailer that when loading is steeper than most any road grade you will ascend. The old Demon crawls right up never exceeding 2000 rpm. Idle is 1100 rpm (Cam reasons), and yes, she moves when put in gear!

But but butt that can’t be because I read it in a Hot Rod book back in the 1980’s that you can’t do that.

Would it be cheaper to have my BM 3500 conveter reworked to 5000 and a nitrous plate added, or buy new ?

Would it be cheaper to have my BM 3500 conveter reworked to 5000 and a nitrous plate added, or buy new ?
My opinion only. The problem with the old "marshmallow" converters was a result of loosening up a too-large converter to achieve stall speed. Results were sloppy low end, and slip at the top. You are FAR better off, with a nice tight eight inch 4500, than a reworked ten inch 4500.
If you want quite a bit more than the 3500, I would buy a new one, custom built specifically for your combo, and the nitrous.
My guess, it won't be cheap but it will be worth it. I've had a reworked cheap converter. Worst hipo part I've ever owned.

Maybe the question you should ask is there a street where you can use that 5k stall for all it's glory ?

-
Back