is this true about a 350 sbc vs a sbm

-
I for one like all cars/brand engines .well atleast have one or two favorites from each.
But out of GM Small blocks the chevys were the crappiest..
only reason everyone thinks theyre so supuerior is because for GM chevy was bottom of barrel..everyone could afford a chevy vs olds/buick caddy.. so it became the most popular which yielded performance parts out that ***

only thing chevy got over other engines are that they're easy to come across and can be built cheaper..but doesn't make it last nor perform better then my sbm 360 or my sbb 350 nor my sbf 302 when similarly equipped
chevy is an engine for the main stream public :p

ps rod ratio is a crap argument..theirs no Ideal "perfect rod ratio otherwise every engine manufacture would use the same one..its just a bogus engine building theory

Everybody and their brother has a chevy.....or a ford. Only the BEST can say they have a Mopar. Like RRR said, take his money and let buttwad eat silence. Only a bigger idiot argues with an idiot. Just saying.

LOL. I've heard it said. "Never argue with an idiot. He'll take you down to his level and beat you with experience."

LOL. I've heard it said. "Never argue with an idiot. He'll take you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Oh man, that holds true in more cases than I can count! :bom:

This is the best argument hands down, besides the shaft mount rockers. Top is the 340 rod, bottom is the 350 rod. Both stock castings. Remember, the 350 rod is 5.7" and the 340 rod is 6.123. Not to mention all the extra meat on the 340 rod.

Attachments

• 340 ROD.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 350 ROD.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 298
this guy come in to the store last night asking about a mini spool for a 8.5 gm axle. so i hop on my oriellys computer and i cant find one, i call my tech and while waiting for tech support i ask the guy y? he said to lock up the rear end and looks at me like im a dumbass, and i asked him y a mini style spool? and he says doesnt wanna deal with c clips and that he spent so much money on chromoly axles cause his chebbie makes 475 at the rear wheels blah blah. now ive heard his truck and it does NOT sound like its got 500 or more. And then he had to rub it in cause he seen my demon hat, and says my chebbie got more ponies than any mopar can make and last longer and this is when i got pissed cause im pretty sure mr pettyblue has a 408 dart that makes 500 easy, and 7172 duster has a 340 with 600 if i recall, among others here who make as much or more.

now my question is, is this guy right? will a 350 last longer with 500 hores than a sbm? or is this guys head shoved so fat up his own *** that he can see his tonsils?

His claim isn't worth worrying about - he sounds like the typical idiot who thinks his shitbox is much faster than it really is.

only time chevies win nascar is when the mopars aren't runnin in it

Or when NASCAR factors Mopar out of the race. Happened all through history. They even cancelled an entire NASCAR event because of the slant six. The 1960 Compact Car Race. Hyper Pack Valiants took the first seven spots. NASCAR decided that was not competitive enough or entertaining enough so they canned it.

Same with the Hemi. They were reduced to 305 cubic inches, and a few teams ran them.....and they still won.

You can thank Bill France and Wally Parks for having hard ons for chebbies. They did everything in their power to make sure their beloved chebbies won. Had it been a level playing field, cheebie wouldda never been a contender. The Fords wouldda been the only ones to come close.

Or when NASCAR factors Mopar out of the race. Happened all through history. They even cancelled an entire NASCAR event because of the slant six. The 1960 Compact Car Race. Hyper Pack Valiants took the first seven spots. NASCAR decided that was not competitive enough or entertaining enough so they canned it.

Same with the Hemi. They were reduced to 305 cubic inches, and a few teams ran them.....and they still won.

You can thank Bill France and Wally Parks for having hard ons for chebbies. They did everything in their power to make sure their beloved chebbies won. Had it been a level playing field, cheebie wouldda never been a contender. The Fords wouldda been the only ones to come close.
Well said Rob, not many folks know about that part of nascar history :color:
Marry Christmas and thank you for bringing this up 8)
Mopar is the top dog in my book, let one builder build a 3fidy and a 340/360 and let them have at each other and I would bet after a season of racing the cheby will be down on hp by the end of the first season and the mopar will gain and last 3 times longer, I have seen this on the pavement and dirt.
Take a close look at what all the nhra builders are doing ...... Yep MoPar :glasses7:

Don't forget that nascrap did the same to the Hudson Hornet. NHRA finally admitted(as the story goes) that they factored the Hemi out of pro stock. Also heard that GM bought a few 340's to see what made them so fast. Local story(mid sixties). Mopar big block b bodies were menacing the chebby boys. They protested the Mopars. They were running(illegal) Isky 1012b cams. Mopar boys found out that the chebby boys knew about mopar cams having paint stripe for id. They painted their 1012's with a stripe and chebbie boys only had to see the stripe to think Mopes were legal.

Seems to me the object of your postion and the business to work for is to make money. (Not to argue the merits of various makes.) Many before you have smiled in the knowledge of the truth and taken the man's money (at the counter and on the track).

Thomas Tusser in Five Hundreth Pointes of Good Husbandrie, 1573:
A foole & his money,
be soone at debate:
which after with sorow,
repents him to late.

Figurative translation: A fool and his money are soon parted.

I for one like all cars/brand engines .well atleast have one or two favorites from each.
But out of GM Small blocks the chevys were the crappiest..
only reason everyone thinks theyre so supuerior is because for GM chevy was bottom of barrel..everyone could afford a chevy vs olds/buick caddy.. so it became the most popular which yielded performance parts out that ***

only thing chevy got over other engines are that they're easy to come across and can be built cheaper..but doesn't make it last nor perform better then my sbm 360 or my sbb 350 nor my sbf 302 when similarly equipped
chevy is an engine for the main stream public :p

ps rod ratio is a crap argument..theirs no Ideal "perfect rod ratio otherwise every engine manufacture would use the same one..its just a bogus engine building theory
Its not a crap argument.I will let Smoky explain it. Read and learn.Smokey yunick was perhaps the greatest exponent of long rods and he was the one who made the categorical statement " run the longest rod you can stick in the motor"
Smokey explained that w/ a 5.7 rod the piston would be within .001 inch from tdc for 5-6 degrees (on a 3.48 stroke) going up too 6 inches on the rod the piston would "dwell" within .001 thou for 10-12 degrees . This slow turnaround makes life easier on the rod on the deadstroke when tensile strains can break rods.
So i,m thinking a long rod motor will last longer.

Smokey Yunick, was a absolute genius. The Chevy wouldn't be where it is considered, without him fixing 1950's-60's Chevy designs.

stick a chevie aftermarket piston on a long chevie rod in a mopar 360 and spin that witch 8500 rpm's all day long the long rods save the pistons and the longevity of the rod itself smokey was no dummie
Its not a crap argument.I will let Smoky explain it. Read and learn.Smokey yunick was perhaps the greatest exponent of long rods and he was the one who made the categorical statement " run the longest rod you can stick in the motor"
Smokey explained that w/ a 5.7 rod the piston would be within .001 inch from tdc for 5-6 degrees (on a 3.48 stroke) going up too 6 inches on the rod the piston would "dwell" within .001 thou for 10-12 degrees . This slow turnaround makes life easier on the rod on the deadstroke when tensile strains can break rods.
So i,m thinking a long rod motor will last longer.

I actually was luck enough to meet Smokey in Atlanta at a Speed Distributors show (think SEMA on a SMALL redneck scale) about 1985. Super nice guy. Sat in his trailer and chewed the fat with him for like 30 minutes. Still got his autographed picture.

you forgot to highlight the bronze bushings in the small end of the 340/318 rods...stock 340 vs 350 of the same caliber no comparison...the 327's were awesome but lacked the cubic inches the chebbie 302 was an astounding engine but the rods .....well....they were chebbie rods.....jes sayin ;)
This is the best argument hands down, besides the shaft mount rockers. Top is the 340 rod, bottom is the 350 rod. Both stock castings. Remember, the 350 rod is 5.7" and the 340 rod is 6.123. Not to mention all the extra meat on the 340 rod.

I actually was luck enough to meet Smokey in Atlanta at a Speed Distributors show (think SEMA on a SMALL redneck scale) about 1985. Super nice guy. Sat in his trailer and chewed the fat with him for like 30 minutes. Still got his autographed picture.

Hell yes!(lol)....

my chainsaw will out live them all. lol and easier on the wallet

And on a Chevy site somewhere there's a thread going on how superior the sbc is to the sbm.......especially the head bolt count and warped heads and blown head gaskets sbm are known for. The H.E.I. ignitions are good too, as a matter of fact, a lot of guys on here have threads going about how great it is and how to convert your mopar to it. Too bad that in stock form thew were only good for 6,000 r.p.m. just like our Mopars. They were just easier and more reliable. It can be argued that Chrysler wiring and electronics are substandard in our old cars as well. How about sub frame connectors? G.M. has been given a bad rap about their full framed cars versus the Mopar unibody which was vastly superior back in the day for handling etc. over G.M. and their crappy suspensions. However, everyone raves about how much better their Mopar handles, lauches, and feels after sub frame connectors are welded in which in effect makes the car a full framed car minus the rubber mounts.
Don't get me wrong, i am a die hard mopar fan, but sbc isn't as bad of an engine as you guys make it out to be.
And G.M. cars aren't as bad as you make them out to be.
But when it comes to factory suspensions, transmissions and rear end set ups, Mopar had it over them all.....

well said DARTNUT, you have a way with words, to which I havn't.

stock 340 vs 350 of the same caliber no comparison...
our local engine builder/ drag racer/ dyno expert needed to use his 150-shot of nitrous to beat my 340 with his '69 Camaro/350 ("I was on the button hard!" is the way he explained it to my brother).
And with that he beat me by about a fender in just under a quarter mile.
Not 'stock' of course, but similar builds.
Well, ok, his 350 might have been a little milder:D

If you are limited to stock heads and can only change to after market pistons , intake, cam and carb I will own a small block chevy with a 360 all day long. If you want to be the faster you better have deep pockets! The mopar block is stronger and will live longer. The chevy guys making big power and living longer doesn't come from chevy. The block and heads say something like DART on them because chevy didn't make them. The weak link is your engine block and none of them can take 500+ continuous horse power. They only live in short burst. I always heard from the old timers chevy blocks were crap. Ford and Mopar were stronger. If the chevy guy likes the ls series.... that's a different animal and it's high dollar. I've seen a lot of round track chevy 350's with big holes in the block when they blow. I've also seen 520 cubic inch mopar eat itself after 10 years bracket racing. Best parts inside, factory block. 900+ horse power, over 1000 ft pounds of torque. The boy cried like a baby!

Interesting story actually what NASCAR did was first outlaw any motor over 305 ci in a winged car for 1971 I believe. Most racers went back to non-winged cars so they could keep running the Hemi but a few used a heavily modified LA 340 reduced to 304 ci in winged cars and they were actually somewhat competitive. These racing LA's were the first to use what are now known as the famous "W-2" heads and they held their own against the big-blocks, which started development all the way back in 1969.

Quoted from Chrysler Engines 1922-1998: "A single-winged Dodge Charger Daytona driven by Dick Brooks and powered by a 304-cu-in small block LA engine equipped with a pair of W2 cylinder heads entered the Feb. 14, 1971 Daytona 500 race. The cylinder heads were especially notable, in that they had been machined on a computer-controlled Cincinnati mill at the Engineering Technical Computer Center, the first time a Chrysler prototype had been machined in this manner. The 175.89 mph qualifying speed of the car gave it a back-in-the-pack ninth starting position; however, during the race, it actually led for 18 laps [and finished in seventh place]."

Sorry to hijack you may continue with the Chevy-bashing lol

i got thing to say to end it all

fastest thing in 69? hemi

79? lil red express, even beat their precious vette in the 1/4

200 mph? not only did the super birds and daytonas do it first and ford 2nd, but the viper out of the gate ran 220 if you could find a strech long enough.

retro look? prowler nailed it

end of discussion. lol

-
Back