MRL 318 Stroker Build

-
I have wondered about 318 based strokers with 4" cranks, the stroke is bigger than the bore. I mean they work generally and this one you posted here is making some power. But, I would think (obviously or not) it might be limited as opposed to a more square design, like a 340 block.

I often thought a 3.79" crank in a 318 would be gnarly but that ain't budget in any way. Plus, it would probably be a high revver as opposed to a torquer.

I guess the 4" stroker might be more forgiving and would probably cover up the smaller bore (valve shrouding). A 318 stroker would probably be good in a truck. (or any stroker for that matter) Would it work well with smaller (1.88-1.92) valve heads?

Does it really matter though? Just thinking out loud.

I have wondered about 318 based strokers with 4" cranks, the stroke is bigger than the bore. I mean they work generally and this one you posted here is making some power. But, I would think (obviously or not) it might be limited as opposed to a more square design, like a 340 block.

I often thought a 3.79" crank in a 318 would be gnarly but that ain't budget in any way. Plus, it would probably be a high revver as opposed to a torquer.

I guess the 4" stroker might be more forgiving and would probably cover up the smaller bore (valve shrouding). A 318 stroker would probably be good in a truck. (or any stroker for that matter) Would it work well with smaller (1.88-1.92) valve heads?

Thinking out loud? I do that alot.

The way I see it, if you're going to put a crank in it, you might as well make it a big crank. There's a guy down here with W5's on his 'teen stroker and he's making 600hp +

I wouldn't worry about valve shrouding. I wouldn't be bothered with small valves. There are "Other" engines out there that make excellent power with this issue.

If it's a full on effort - there are advantages to the larger bore. But in the range the vast majority of these street/strip builds are intended for - bore diameter means very little. As long as the valves clear the bore you can generally make it work.

-
Back