My street used Tubular K frame is getting close!

-
"In a dirty/winter environment could the balls seize in them?"

Damn that sounds painful !!! Great thread though !!:blob:

I'm not sure if they can seize up I know the Riley sells them that way I bought b
upper control arm from them and they came with these joints with no lubrication method. I'm pretty sure it just becomes a maintenance item Like anything else.

The heim joints should not sieze up just because of temperature changes. If they were on a truck that went through the mud all the time...that would be a different story. Alot of people stay away from heims on a street car, yet tons of companies still use them. To each their own...

Looks pretty good. since I've gotten all into suspension, i want to know geometry and see numbers, roll, roll migraton, instant center, camber & caster gain, bump, ackermann. not that it matters to me really, I cutal that junk out to use one. just curious cuz I'm into that and all.

There are all kinds of differences in so-called Heim joints, Most of 'em "ain't". Heim, that is. Some are not sealed, some are not ball bearing. Some of 'em I wouldn't use for a paperweight

Myself personally I would prefer to have something that is serviceable or I could rebuild. Rod ends are not really intended for some of these uses and are not made to be rebuilt and have no grease fitting. Good Heim Joints are greaseable and rebuildable. This is why I prefer Urethane bushings for the street. Just my 02. BTW they do make adjustable rod ends with urethane bushings. That would be the best setup if you ask me.

Myself personally I would prefer to have something that is serviceable or I could rebuild. Rod ends are not really intended for some of these uses and are not made to be rebuilt and have no grease fitting. Good Heim Joints are greaseable and rebuildable. This is why I prefer Urethane bushings for the street. Just my 02. BTW they do make adjustable rod ends with urethane bushings. That would be the best setup if you ask me.

Im with you. Some will start complaining about the "movement" poly allows...but I'd still take poly over a heim joint if it is going to be driven on the street.
The like the 4130 vs. mild steel comparison. Most people instantly jump to 4130 being "better". Unfortunately, we have NHRA and other sanctioning body's to thank for that...there making of the rules, is what persuades most people to think 4130 is superior. When in fact, I wouldnt build anything out of 4130 that was put to use on a street car. It simply is not superior to mild steel in this application, as its density and higher carbon content hurts its "flexibility".
Just my .02....

And I doubt there is an aftermarket front suspension, that would last 100000 plus miles on the street, in everyday driving, snow, salt, mud, potholes ect, like the factory design....

curleysracecars......I like you .02 thinkin...it gets me thinkin

BTW....as I remember, just to be clear....RMS uses heims on the uppers...greasable /serviceable polys on the lowers

I thought that the poly ends take a little of the jolt out of it...making for a little smoother/quieter ride....does that make sense?

Denny...gets you thinking about what? ;) Come on...spill the beans.

It is well known that any "street ride" usually uses poly mounts over heims joints. Heim joints will usually ride rough on the street. The poly is stiffer than factory rubber mounts, but gives enough to allow a smooth ride. I like the idea of poly lower mounts, and heim joints on the uppers. Heims will not last long in a dirty environment...thats why we replace the ones in our racecar every year, and thats towing to the staging lanes, and towing back to the pits. Dirt/grime is your enemy!!!

Denny...gets you thinking about what? ;) Come on...spill the beans.

It is well known that any "street ride" usually uses poly mounts over heims joints. Heim joints will usually ride rough on the street. The poly is stiffer than factory rubber mounts, but gives enough to allow a smooth ride. I like the idea of poly lower mounts, and heim joints on the uppers. Heims will not last long in a dirty environment...thats why we replace the ones in our racecar every year, and thats towing to the staging lanes, and towing back to the pits. Dirt/grime is your enemy!!!

Good info and I don't plan on driving this ever single day... however like anything else there is good and bad.. in this case I think the good out weighs the bad.

And I doubt there is an aftermarket front suspension, that would last 100000 plus miles on the street, in everyday driving, snow, salt, mud, potholes ect, like the factory design....

I honestly don't plan on driving my car for 100000 miles with twinns lol

I thought that the poly ends take a little of the jolt out of it.........
The polybushed ends HemiDenny uses.....

Heims1.jpg

the upper and lower poly-bushed ends used are street rod pieces....Speedway Automotive

the upper pivot piece...is a mono ball ...used in place of a balljoint.
it's a dirt track suspension piece that has been around for years...I use it to elevate the upper pivot point for accurate geomerty and to adjust roll center....remove the bolt and you can add or subtract spacers moving the mono ball (pivot point) up or down.

A mono ball is also used in lieu of the lower balljoint for the Art Morrison strut/superstrut

because it is slighly smaller....it also allows more room for the coilover spring

the upper and lower poly-bushed ends used are street rod pieces....Speedway Automotive

the upper pivot piece...is a mono ball ...used in place of a balljoint.
it's a dirt track suspension piece that has been around for years...I use it to elevate the upper pivot point for accurate geomerty and to adjust roll center....remove the bolt and you can add or subtract spacers moving the mono ball (pivot point) up or down.

A mono ball is also used in lieu of the lower balljoint for the Art Morrison strut/superstrut

because it is slighly smaller....it also allows more room for the coilover spring

So i'm assuming that the mono ball is similar to a hiem joint as far as maintenance goes? tory asked me if I wanted poly in mine but I opted out.

ever heard of .....Seals it?

they are a neopreme seal for each side of your heim (rod) end.
seals out the dirt/grime somewhat

they can be used on the mono ball or your heim ends

ever heard of .....Seals it?

they are a neopreme seal for each side of your heim (rod) end.
seals out the dirt/grime somewhat

they can be used on the mono ball or your heim ends

Thx dude.. I'm going to look into it.

just a little tip from your ol' buddy..Denny

-
Back