NTSB friggin nuts

-
C I agree with the danger making or answering calls but its no different searching for a radio station or adjusting your heat vents. Sometimes I just let it ring when its rainy or congested. And I dont pick it up and call unless its safe to do so. Thats why I say its careless people who cause accidents. Good judgement goes a long way.

It is obvious that you care about what you are doing when you drive. It is the other idiots that you have to be careful around and watch out for. I live in a college town so I could see more people have wrecks and near misses because of phones. My wife was rear ended by someone talking on the phone. I am about as anti-big brother as most and I challenge my city when they are going over the line but personally I can't look at this one based off my actions in using a phone. I have to look at it based off what I see others doing with their phones and what is happening with them.

Yes, good judgement goes a real long way. I don't want anymore rules or destructions from the gov't.....there's enough of them already :violent1:

Problem arises between rural and urban locations....I don't look at or answer my phone in heavy traffic, but what about the people that live in urban areas?

Traffic conditions are so different depending on where you live :cheers:

hands free is a scam your mind is still distracted

No more so than when the driver is engaged in a conversation with others in the car. Do we also ban that? What about eating or have coffee, adjusting your stereo, or GPS? Those things also cause accidents.

I have a hands free, voice activated phone in my truck. It's no more distracting than having a conversation with some in the truck with me, and also might be slightly less distracting because while talking with people in the vehicle with you, people, by nature, have a tendency to occasionally look at those with whom they are conversing.

Further, this is a State's issue, not a federal issue. The last thing we need is more federal government intervention into our personal lives, with their typical over reaction, and complete disregard for unintended consequences that usually accompany overzealous legislation from the federal government.

In simple form, here is how it works. You are driving along talking on a hands free device. A situation occurs in traffic which requires your immediate attention, the person on the phone just tells you your mother has just had an accident, and you want to know if she is all right, yet you need to attend to your driving. You cannot do two things at once, especially make decisions. First, you must make a decision as to which problem you are going to address first. By this time you have already crashed.

You can see the problem demonstrated every day. If you see someone making a really boneheaded move just look and nine out of ten times thy'll be on the phone. If someone is making a REALLY stupid or dangerous move or swerving into the wrong lane etc. you will probably see them texting. As recently as this morning I was sitting at a red light and the guy in the opposite lane is coming my direction with no headlights (it's still completely dark) and drove though the red light without even slowing, brakes hard next to me and left turns behind me in to the Mini Mart.(no turn signal) I watch as he jumps out of his pickup,wearing no seat belt, and he's talking on his cell phone.
As much as I dislike the government making laws that regulate individual decisions it is obvoius that when it comes to cell phones people can't control themselves.

There are 2 reasons for what they are doing. Just like DUI checkpoints, they are trying to make a law to make money. The secondary reason is to make it look like they are trying to "childproof" the roads.
We all know that DUI checkpoints generally do not make the roads safer. They aren't aimed at getting the drunk off the road. They target anyone who has had a couple of drinks and more or less ruin them financially. It's the drunk who causes the problems. Not the casual drinker.
People who text while driving are a hazard, not those who take an occasional quick call. It's no worse than grabbing your coffee or soda out of the drink cup while gabbing with whoever is in your car with you. If you are going to have an extended conversation, then handsfree is the way to go. No different that passing the time on a commute by gabbing with whoever is in the car.

The government shouldn't need to legislate intelegence. Sadly, A percentage of idiots generate statistics that make it nessesary. I know a few of them. One in particular who uses hand free cell so he can write oder details on a legal pad laying on the seat
The spot I saw on TV showed a young guy who said "I texted a simple LOL and killed a man". If we could ask that man what he thinks...
The driver that killed my aunt Kathrine was opening a pack of cigs when he drifted across the center line and hit her head on. This young man and his passenger died instantly. Probably because they were in a ragged old pick up truck.
Aunt Kat' at 80 years old was cut from here Taurus with 9 broken bones and faught to stay here for 15 hours. Those 15 hours were very hard on the family. Not a very dignified or suiting way for a fine old gal to leave this life either.
Sht happens. All the regulations imaginable wouldn't prevent 100 percent of it.
Statistics show that a lot of the sht can be prevented.
State troopers are trained to use the array of electronic crap in their patrol cars while driving. Maybe the cell phone companies should train everyone as well. If the training was required to have a drivers lisense the taxpayers would have to pay for it.
No easy answer to be found.

I was rear ended twice, stopped at lights, in 2009 by people on phones. Still have neck pain from the first one. Hands free should be law enough. BTW, law enforcement are exempt from our California laws. They are too good for laws in this State.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790), Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

No more so than when the driver is engaged in a conversation with others in the car.

Unfortunately this is not true. When you are conversing with someone in the car, that person is often aware of the situation you are in and will either stop speaking, or more importantly, provide you with the "quiet" time you need to rectify or maneuver instead of expecting your immediate response. This is also usually true of other things drivers do, such as tuning the radio or sipping a coffee. They "usually" wait until "they" know they have the ability to do it safely.

When you are on the phone, the person on the other end has no idea what your situation is, and will continue talking and asking questions during times when the driver needs to focus. Sure, many can simply indicate they need a moment, or ask later for someone to repeat something, but unfortunately, many, especially those who live on their phone, dont want to interrupt, or feel that they have to... and bang.

Grant

It's my opinion that once you allow the mindset of "if it saves one life, it's worth it"......you open the door to getting bent over by the gov't. How 'bout changing radio stations? How 'bout leaning over and getting something out of the glovebox? How 'bout looking at your GPS? How 'bout turning around and telling your kids to be quiet? How 'bout looking at your watch? How 'bout eating ANYTHING while you're driving?

It's my opinion that once you allow the mindset of "if it saves one life, it's worth it"......you open the door to getting bent over by the gov't. How 'bout changing radio stations? How 'bout leaning over and getting something out of the glovebox? How 'bout looking at your GPS? How 'bout turning around and telling your kids to be quiet? How 'bout looking at your watch? How 'bout eating ANYTHING while you're driving?

No one denies that all of those things can cause an accident, Again sht happens. It's the overwhelming statisitics that generate the cell phone issue.
When mobile phones first came out I was an installer. Big box in the trunk or under the seat. Place to park the handset, etc.. And yes they caused accidents back then too only in much smaller numbers.
Today I often feel like I'm the only person left who doesn't have or use a cell phone.

Unfortunately this is not true. When you are conversing with someone in the car, that person is often aware of the situation you are in and will either stop speaking, or more importantly, provide you with the "quiet" time you need to rectify or maneuver instead of expecting your immediate response. This is also usually true of other things drivers do, such as tuning the radio or sipping a coffee. They "usually" wait until "they" know they have the ability to do it safely.

When you are on the phone, the person on the other end has no idea what your situation is, and will continue talking and asking questions during times when the driver needs to focus. Sure, many can simply indicate they need a moment, or ask later for someone to repeat something, but unfortunately, many, especially those who live on their phone, dont want to interrupt, or feel that they have to... and bang.

Grant
I tried to think of a way to say this well, but you did a good job. All distraction causes problems. Some more than others. The person on the other end is always going did you hear or are you still there blah blah blah. In the meantime you miss your turn, or worse yet go for it when you'be given it no thought. I tried this thinking I was better than everyone else, and it just does not work. I no longer do it, so those of you who spend as much time on the road as I do can feel a whole lot safer. No time to talk anyway, too busy dodging others on the phone. I like how they lean into the phone so far they almost tip over. Occasional drinkers are a huge problem. I f they are not used to alcohal a couple of drinks can really make them use bad judgement. Chronic drinkers who quit, have to re-learn how to drive.

Wow, lots of comments on this this cell phone thread, man loosing the right to talk and text while driving drew alot of hit. Even more than US soldiers remains being dump in a land fill!!! HUMMMM, guess it's like the news goes away after a day or so, so we can listen for two weeks about some politician tries to get next to some gal early in thier career !!!
AMAZING
Moe,

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=168676

Wow, lots of comments on this this cell phone thread, man loosing the right to talk and text while driving drew alot of hit. Even more than US soldiers remains being dump in a land fill!!! HUMMMM, guess it's like the news goes away after a day or so, so we can listen for two weeks about some politician tries to get next to some gal early in thier career !!!
AMAZING
Moe,

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=168676

Not much to say about the scumbags who threw the vets into a dump. The deed is already done. I was too enraged to comment and still am. Just because some of us didn't say anything, don't think for a moment we don't care. Not much I can do about it, 'cept vote. I guess I would throw them in a dump when their turn comes. Problem is many of these people think we are just re-arranged pond scum so they won't care where we throw them.

Not much to say about the scumbags who threw the vets into a dump. The deed is already done. I was too enraged to comment and still am. Just because some of us didn't say anything, don't think for a moment we don't care. Not much I can do about it, 'cept vote. I guess I would throw them in a dump when their turn comes. Problem is many of these people think we are just re-arranged pond scum so they won't care where we throw them.

VERY WELL SAID !!!!!!
Moe

First off let me start with the statement that I am about as far right in political thinking as they come. I would consider myself Libertarian if I thought they had a candidate that would actually win!!
Having said that, the use of cell phones - talking or worse yet texting, while driving IS a serious problem. I see it every day while driving, and I'm sure everyone else sees it too.
If the issue should not be resolved by government regulation how does it get resolved????
I hate the thought of giving the government more authority to regulate something more - but if we don't do this just how do we address the issue - and it is definitely an issue!!!

So if I see a crime or unsafe act taking place it is against the law to report it if I am driving. I hope this law comes back to bite one of them in the *** when they have a family member in trouble.

My neigbor got a drinking and driving and a DUI while Cutting his grass on his rider with a beer in his hand on his own property. His neighbor called because he felt it was unsafe and he cut the property line crooked. He Fought it and lost.

So if I see a crime or unsafe act taking place it is against the law to report it if I am driving. I hope this law comes back to bite one of them in the *** when they have a family member in trouble..

I could be wrong, but I believe using a phone for emergencies is allowed. As well, you can simply pull over to a safe spot to make the call.

My neigbor got a drinking and driving and a DUI while Cutting his grass on his rider with a beer in his hand on his own property. His neighbor called because he felt it was unsafe and he cut the property line crooked. He Fought it and lost.

His neighbor called from his cell phone? Guess I'm missing the relevance here.

Grant

So if I see a crime or unsafe act taking place it is against the law to report it if I am driving. I hope this law comes back to bite one of them in the *** when they have a family member in trouble.

In Illinois it is illegal to opperate any motorized vehicle while under the influence. In other words it is illegal to run a push mower. My wife is a nurse. Care to guess how many loving and caring parents somehow manage to cut their childrens feet off. Or back up over their own children on "their own property"? Just because you are on your own property doesn't give you permission to be commiting all kinds of crimes. By the way, we don't own our property. We rent it from the government.

It is definately about the money . If they didn't want you to text or talk while driving a GPS could be instlled in all phones with a MPH switch that deactivates the phone while its moving. But this would put a dent in someone elses pocket but ours.

Also DUI check points are always set up after 12 PM . Thats because bar rooms are forced to close at 2 AM. If being publicly intoxicated and driving under the influence is illegal. Why not force all bars and clubs to stay open all night and provide a place to stay for those who had to many. Or only allow drinkers to have the legal limit and send them on there way. If we are concerned about the saftey of others out at 2 AM. make sure they do not consume to much in a goverment controlled place. Make a limit.

Sure they bring up saftey issues we all can relate to. But why give anyone the opportunity and then make a law to make us pay for there mistake in the first place.

They bust drug users to climb the latter to the money makers on the top. What about the companies making the money on the Alclhol and cell phones if phones and alcohol are the highest causes of death on our roads. Lets make the distributors pay. Maybe their use would be more regulated with other means as mentioned.

You can't put candy in front of kids and cut their fingers off if they eat it. Or could you???. We could charge them the rest of their lives for sewing them back on.

That neighbor would be on my sh** list for the rest of his (or her) life. It would be war at that point.

That neighbor would be on my sh** list for the rest of his (or her) life. It would be war at that point.
It is unclear as to which neighbor you refer to. After all, we are all global neighbors. Never mind, I see it is highlighted in your text.

Grant

Grant, that's another viable theory. Unfortunately interaction with people in the vehicle causes accidents, too.

In either case, I don't see a need for the federal Government to act on this, and I see no need for even more federal government intrusion into our lives. If some sort of regulation for this issue is needed, I'd much rather see it at the state lever than the Federal level.

-
Back