Oil gallery plug dilemma

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
Advice given here suggested knocking out the press in oil gallert plugs at the front of the block when doing a rebuild. New ones came in the freeze plug kit and given the amount of shavings and junk that was in the motor, so against my better judgement... anyhow one is now stuck a little bit further than I able to get it back out.
Do I drive it out the back and risk getting it stuck further?
Another alternative is drilling it out...

Can you drill a hole in it, and use a screw and slide hammer or similar to pull it out?

Last edited:
I had some 3" self tapping screws, and used a claw hammer to try and pry it, but the screw pulled out. The new plugs are 19/32" and I have a 9/16 brad point drill bit in my kit so I went for it. I started drilling and the bit caught and it came right out

16936104476806268783006145666519.jpg

Have you installed the cam and lifters yet? If not, take the screw in plug out of the back of the block and stick a metal rod long enough to reach the back of that plug, and then tap it out with a hammer.

No cam yet. I thought to do that, then took a chance with the drill

Have you installed the cam and lifters yet? If not, take the screw in plug out of the back of the block and stick a metal rod long enough to reach the back of that plug, and then tap it out with a hammer.

-
Back