Our Stroker Build - Looking for comments good or bad!!

-
So... my update was lost in what will be know as the great crash of 2014... here are coles notes for future reference...

We bought a complete 1978 440 from a wreckers and disassembled it to steal the block.

The block was taken to Competition Automotive in Richmond Hill Ontario. It has been tanked and magna fluxed and everything checks out.

Competition told us that they have not had great luck in the past with 440 source kits and suggest we go with an eagle crank and rods with Wiseco pistons. Stroke will still be 4.25 with a 7.10 rod.

Competition will do all the machine work and assembly. They've done the work on our old 440 and they helped me with the 360 in my Dart.

We are hoping to get it back before Christmas but it's going to be a long wait until we can get back on the track in the spring.

If anyone is interested in a complete 440 that only needs a block and gasket kit let me know or look for my post in the mech parts for sale page

Thanks

Darcy, I ended up using an Eagle crank, Scat rods and KB pistons in mine. The crank was a nice piece, but it was heavy. My pistons were only 500 grams, so they ended up having to machine the counterweights down to balance it. My luck they went a bit too far and we had to add some Mallory. Mine is in a 400 block, but yours should look similar.

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_1062.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 439
Yeah that's what I have been thinking. I usually run a fairly restrictive exhaust and intake manifold in order to keep a flat hood and somewhat quiet. You mentioned compression. Does raising the compression raise or lower the rpm range. COMP claimed the cam I have now was good from 3500-6600. What I'm seeing if my Autometer tach is acurate is more like 2500-5700. I have my shift light set at 5500 and the shift is probly occuring around 5600-5700 because of the reaction time involved. When I shifted at higher rpm the et got slower. Take a look at the videos on you tube and you will see the car is very torquey and not a high revver.

The better the heads, intake and exhaust system, the higher it winds maintaining power with the same camshaft. Proved it on the dyno over and over.

Money spent on engine coatings is money well spent. The tops and sides of the pistons are the first place to start.

This is a race truck isn't it? Then why not 13 to 1 compression with a matched head ported for a roller mechanical roller cam and some high dollar springs from someone like Dave Hughes or Dwayne Porter?

I run a similar compression with a much smaller hydraulic roller on the street, and it's badass! Cost me $3 a gallon more for fuel, burning 101 octane unleaded, so what. How much fuel do you pump through this thing? I used to figure a dollar a day or less in the average year, but along comes Jamie Passon. Now, I get 9mpg city and 15+ freeway at 70 mph with 720 some odd HP. You can have your cake and eat it too.

'Quick story: I'm in a double turning lane to get on the freeway with one of those Dodge Super trucks. he yells, Hell Yah! out his window as we are the first lanes of a double left turn lane onto a freeway. The light turns green, I hear his tires screech. I carefully wait until my car is pointed in the direction I want it to go, and then full throttle it 1st through 4th gear. It was contorting, twisting the tires and pretty much just out of shape. By then, I'm well over 100 mph and on the brakes, and he is still half way down the on ramp under full throttle....half way back there. I still had another gear, thank you Mr Passon.

If its a track only car, all I have to do is change the cam and gears and I'll pick up 50+ HP. well past the limit of the stock block. Compression is awesome. I hear 9 to 1 built motors come tiredly lumping into car shows, and its pathetic. What else can you call it. they rev good, but they don't have that pop. There's nothing like the pop of high compression until you get to nitro methane. That stuff is the sound of legends and we all know what that stuff sounds like!

Rent a plasma cutter and lighten that truck. Mig in some re-enforcements and get it down closer to 3500 lbs. You can easily take 400+ lbs of that truck.

You can hide a lot, unless they scale the car.

Attachments

• IMG_7561 (Large).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 410
Do you have a 3/4 race cam in that Cuda......

Our 440 was 12.5:1 and ran 110... its expensive as hell up here... 90 to 100$ for about 6 gallons. When your going rounds it adds up. If this motor can make more power and run on pump 94 which will be half of cost or less then why build a race gas motor.

We don't want to run in the 9's, there's too many hoops to jump thru after 10.00... we bracket race so we are not trying to set any records... except maybe one.. worlds fastest lil red express...

The cam will be a solid roller like the 440 and probably around 700 lift.

Fingers crossed but I think we will be happy.

Cool Dave. What compression is your motor... what cam did you go with?

Darcy, mine is a street motor, so compression is right around 9.75 with 84cc Eddies. My cam is a Comp hydraulic roller 236/242 541/544. That's not much help to you.

Big fan of coatings. My DDC Diamond pistons from the raised deck 496. Almost a shame to bury them in the block lol.

Attachments

• pic_20141101_180403.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 397
So just a small update on the Cam.

I never got any response back from Bullet Cams.

I let the builder, Competition Automotive, source the cam and they talked to Comp. When it comes down to it they decided to use the same cam that was in the 440. Its the Comp 23-770-9 which is .690 Lift and 287 duration @ .050. I figured the RPM range was a bit high being its spec'd at 5000 to 7200. Competition thinks that the lower compression ratio (11:1) will reduce the high end range and work well. We will probably trap around 6500...

This cam was in the 60 over 440 and seemed to work well. I was reluctant to go to a cam with less lift then we had. In actual fact maybe the 440 was a little over cammed.

Time will tell. They are waiting on the pistons to do the final decking.

Has anyone have any issue with fitting a stock pan to a 4.25" stroke crank? Our pan is a stock rear sump which we have extended. I'm also wondering is a regular windage tray will work with that crank or do I need something different.. Thanks

Darcy

I am using a stock pan with a 4.15 stroke crank. I did however have to buy a Moroso I think, stroker windage tray.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1057.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 365
The 4.25 stroke with the Chevy rod pin doesn;t need the deeper windage tray. A standard tray works fine. I open the slots a little more though.

Well... This is a far as we've gotten so far... I've sent the converter back to ATI to be tweeked so until that gets back there's not a lot we can do.

Now we play the waiting game....

air in air out all u men. think of this. smooth intake.smooth heads. I am. talkingabout porting. Flow is in every thing.heads polish intake polish as hospital. most engines I have found LUV 3 to 4 times fuel,than stock. Cams stock 4-speed are most time the gods best all round auto and all. At being 60 I have found (sp) foot and ahappy mind. helps a lot. But no really on stock stuff .port clean . fac has done all the test or you would be able o2 by. so more fuel and like dyimite.

Dude, grammar and punctuation would help immensely with interpreting your hieroglyphics!!

air in air out all u men. think of this. smooth intake.smooth heads. I am. talkingabout porting. Flow is in every thing.heads polish intake polish as hospital. most engines I have found LUV 3 to 4 times fuel,than stock. Cams stock 4-speed are most time the gods best all round auto and all. At being 60 I have found (sp) foot and ahappy mind. helps a lot. But no really on stock stuff .port clean . fac has done all the test or you would be able o2 by. so more fuel and like dyimite.

I'm picking up what you are laying down Charles. Get the air through the cylinder heads and intake, add some fuel and she'll go like crazy.

Well its been a long process due to some health issues with my father but now that has calmed down we got the motor dyno'd this week...

A little back story.... we actually had the engine in the truck and made it to the track. Dad made one pass and lost oil pressure... So we pulled it out and took it back to the builder. They were good and went thru the bottom end. It did take them a while to get it ready to dyno but it's done now. They found no signs of oil loss in the bearings or pump. The only thing they saw was the external oil feed like was slightly loose and may have sucked air and lost prime. It didn't run long without oil pressure.

We had them put it on the dyno only to make sure there were no oil pressure issues. We didn't do any tuning.

So it made 691hp at 6200 RPM and 640 ft.lbs at 5000 RPM. The air fuel showed it was rich so with a small jet change it shouldn't have a problem making 700.

On that one pass dad short shifted 1st and 2nd at 6000 and went thru at close to 7000. The truck went 10.44 @ 128 mph. We are going to borrow a set of 4.30 gear and take out the 4.56 to try to get the RPM's down. The plan is to get back to the track on the 25th.

Here's a video of it on the dyno.

[ame="http://youtu.be/49147yQ4YhY"]http://youtu.be/49147yQ4YhY[/ame]

Thanks.

Nice build. I too use Competition Automotive great bunch of guys. Highly recommended. They did the machine work on my 318/390 stroker

Hey all,

Got the truck to the track on Saturday. It was a hot muggy day with the DA around 3000'. I was able to run a best of 10.64@122mph. Truck ran consistent all day. I was able to get down to the final 6 cars before I lost a close race.

Video of some passes

[ame="http://youtu.be/WsQTYnjrFmE"]http://youtu.be/WsQTYnjrFmE[/ame]

LOL Sandbagger! Nice runs man--if your truck is haulin' that fast, those other cars must be running what--low 9s?

-
Back