Overpriced Crap Yards

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Went out today to try and find a brake distrubition block(DB) that would work for my 66 Valiant since I am coverting to a Dual master cylinder and discs. So, I went to a local pick-a-part type yard. Well, I found a perfect little DB from an old AMC Hornet Wagon. It was about the same size as my car and the DB was super easy to get to and remove. I get up to the counter and the Mexican lady says...oh that's a brake part right...she types on her little computer....that will be $27.50 please :tool: I was like WTF are you talking about I might give you $15. This thing is barely worth that and I pulled it myself itstead of some illegal aliens (which who by the way are ruining this country) you've got working for you. They must think they are sitting on some freaking gold mine. I told her she could keep it :angry4: I mean hell..I can get a brand new one for $29.00 off efag. Makes me wonder if they've been watching too much Barret-Jackson while sitting on their fat asses. Let's say I will not be visiting that crappy yard again.

FYI, their was an 8 3/4 rear axle housing from a 71 Satellite Wagon ready to be picked. B-body I think. I'm sure they want $500 bucks for that too.

Hopefully, I can find a better yard in the So-Cal area that is not too far from me. Any of you guys running into this kind of thing lately?

Se senor. LOL!! In 2005 I bought a 727 small block core that I pulled for $75.00. In the summer of 2006 I pulled a 904 core out expecting to pay the same. Wrong. The 904 was $125 WITH a $50 CORE CHARGE!! A core charge on a core trans! After all my labor of pulling it I went ahead and paid but it is getting harder and harder to find old mopar iron that isn't gold plated. I feel your pain, man!

Every body that has a 60s thru 80s salvage seems to think all their parts are gold. I was looking for a porportional valve for my 1973 Dart Sport, I found one at one of the Mopar salvages. $ 85.00 was the price, I passed on it. I did post a thread here & bought one from a member for $25.00. I had another member offer me one for free! I had all ready committed to buy the first one, I don't back out of my committments. Oh yea, illegal aliens do not belong here, I don't care if they come from the south - north - east - west. If you want to be an American, there are legal ways to do it.

Oh yea, illegal aliens do not belong here, I don't care if they come from the south - north - east - west. If you want to be an American, there are legal ways to do it.
I agree. Don't get me started though being as I live in SoCal. At the least, come here and assimilate into our culture....learn the damn language. Bring your kids here and we(meaning american teachers) will teach them Spanish first and then they can learn English. All for free. Why are we so damn PC and forgiving in this country? We're a bunch of pussies now. I feel for those El Paso border patrol officers who were doing thier jobs shooting that f'n dirt bag drug smuggler in the ***. I wrote letters and emails on that one. I just hope Bush pardons them and gives them what they deserve(besides a great deal of compensation)..... a huge parade for protecting our borders.

It's not just the US either. I just came back from Germany and it's ruined too. Muslims and millions of immigrants. Same goes for England, France and practically all of western Europe. Our world is not in a happy place right now. Sorry, got off on a tangent.....uh and what about those crappy junkyards again. :pain10:

BTW Mike. Boomer Sooner. I'm an OU alum.

It seems to me that the large big business yards are usually higher on prices than the small yards that have been around since the 70/80's. Hell, I went to a yard that charged me just to walk in and see if they had what I needed. Admission! come on, this isn't Disney World, it's a F!*%$#^ salvage yard.

No joke. It was $2 for admission. It was almost all 80's and up to boot.

Mood: Fired UP

Yep I think it was 2 bucks. I also had to deal with a person who must have just crossed the border, because she could hardly speak and she damn sure couldn't understand ENGLISH.

We were a country that was founded on the majority rules, now its the minority rules!

I agree with you guys. Its a no win situation nowadays. There was a thread slamming Ebay a few weeks ago but salvage yards can be just as bad. Pick your poison. Good deals can be found both ways but EVERYONE'S catching on to the Mopar game. I just had 2 salvage yards(1 in southern CA and 1 in Sacramento) in November quote Dodge Dakota 8 1/4 rear ends. $500 for a 3.21 open unit and $600 bucks for 3.55 LS, AND then tack on $100 for shipping + tax. These are for 10+ year old rear ends and there's no guarantee that they'll last more than a year. Sound crazy? :blah5:

anyone ever work with Dr Mopar salvage yard? I am thinking of getting a 68 dart flat hood from them, thought this would be a good place to see if anyone has any horror stories.

yeah, he is very pricey. He realizes that if you haven't found it yet he is the last place to look and he will charge a bundle. I have heard good things as far as the quantity of parts he has and he is okay to talk to. If you are in dire need of something he is one of a few to look at. Bring the pocket book. Mopar Muscle did an article not too long ago on Mopar yards.

MikeDevore. I'm sure you know all about ShadyNook in OKC. That guy is a total asshole. Tons of Mopar stuff. Quoted me $100 bucks for 8 3/4 shock mounts. Rediculous. More like ShadyCrook. He had the nerve to say he had a Cuda that was worth 250,000. He was full of **** I'm sure. He should have sold the "lied about" car to get some dentures and a haircut.

Next time you go back - tell them you are after something else, like window lift handles or an antenna mast, meanwhile little stuff like a brass distribution block slips easily into your pocket -- haha.

Or ask up front what the price is and then dicker with them on it, before pulling it.

My brother has an 80 step side dodge p/u. He lives in southern New Mexico and has bought the rights to salvage whatever he wanted off of two trucks sitting in somebodies yard for $50 in one case and 250$ in another. He's gotten lots and lots of crap of these junks for next to nothing, transmissions, radiators, interior, underhood items - alternators, distributors, pulleys etc etc.

The other place to pick up little stuff is swap meets. I do usually pretty well at mopar specific events like that, people are usually desperate to sell the little junk they have just to move it.

I could have easily swipped it but I'm just not like that. I should have talked to them before wasting my time pulling the part.

wow.. your all fired up huh?..

How do you feel about the price of tea in china.. or is that a touchy subject..
I can clearly see tho that you arent alone in this and we all know how you feel in canada the theme doesnt change.. oh.. its abrake part.. sure.. 20bucks.. oh im sorry its for a mopar the computer says to charge you an exrtra 20bucks. mind you here on the island theres limited yards so finding things is even that much harder and pricey..er

As my friend says "if they charge admission I'm getting my monies worth" hence he calls it Pic-N-Pilfer instead of Pic-N-Pull. I'm lucky that I know a few yards that still make a good deal. They don't nickel and dime you for every single part. We picked up a disc 9" for $80 no core. If we would of got that at Pic-N-Pull it would of cost $60 for the housing, drop out center $50, caliper brackets $40, calipers $60, axels $50, and a core for each and every piece. It helps that I can frequent some of the yards and be a familiar face.

Oh no you didn't. Don't get me going on China. :angry4: Just Kidding. This is as good a place to vent as any I guess. My girlfriend has no clue when it comes to car stuff. Everything is a brake shaft to her. LOL. Thanks for letting me vent and others are welcome to join in too. haha

Hey Dave,
The only time I have felt like I got am ok deal from Pic-your-part was on "half price" day...Periodically, they have a 50% off day/ weekend. I stood in line for 30 minutes, then went right to the car and started pulling the engine. I found a 73 Polara with a 360 that appeared to be useable. I have not had it to the machine shop yet...so I could have an expensive lawn ornament. Really, the only time I will go is on the half off weekends.

One thing to note...I had my tools in a wagon I brought...while laying under the car trying to disconnect the transmission, a group of "folks" thought they would try their luck on stealing my tools. I noticed about 4 guys "looking for parts" on the car next to the one I was working on. I started watching them and they were scoping out my tool box. Thankfully, my brother in law was with me and walked up and spooked them out. I would have had my hands full with 4 of them...but my brother in law evened out the odds.

The moral of the story is...only go on 50% off days if you can, and be ready to apply heavy doses of Muay Thai when necessary...

Thanks,
Clint

DragginMAster said:
anyone ever work with Dr Mopar salvage yard? I am thinking of getting a 68 dart flat hood from them, thought this would be a good place to see if anyone has any horror stories.

I haven't bought from Dr Mopar yet, but he was very quick to respond to a web submitted request. I asked for a quote on a drive shaft for a 66 cuda /6 904 tranny and 7.25 rear. $125 for the part.

Luckily they are local so shipping isn't a concern.

Hey Dave, Glad you do the salvage yards, got the front sway bar from you - looks great! THANK YOU. BTW, years ago before the internet made hunting a bit easier for parts, I just needed a stock small bolt pattern 14 x 4 1/2" rim to replace a bent one. Someone gave a number for a Mopar yard in Texas I think, they had what I needed BUT wanted $100.00 + shipping!!! I didn't bite, now I've got 16 around between my cars & spares (plus a set of 5 SBP 13" rims I can't give away!).

daves66valiant said:
Went out today to try and find a brake distrubition block(DB) that would work for my 66 Valiant since I am coverting to a Dual master cylinder and discs. So, I went to a local pick-a-part type yard. Well, I found a perfect little DB from an old AMC Hornet Wagon. It was about the same size as my car and the DB was super easy to get to and remove. I get up to the counter and the Mexican lady says...oh that's a brake part right...she types on her little computer....that will be $27.50 please :tool: I was like WTF are you talking about I might give you $15. This thing is barely worth that and I pulled it myself itstead of some illegal aliens (which who by the way are ruining this country) you've got working for you. They must think they are sitting on some freaking gold mine. I told her she could keep it :angry4: I mean hell..I can get a brand new one for $29.00 off efag. Makes me wonder if they've been watching too much Barret-Jackson while sitting on their fat asses. Let's say I will not be visiting that crappy yard again.

FYI, their was an 8 3/4 rear axle housing from a 71 Satellite Wagon ready to be picked. B-body I think. I'm sure they want $500 bucks for that too.

Hopefully, I can find a better yard in the So-Cal area that is not too far from me. Any of you guys running into this kind of thing lately?

I bet it would have fit in your pocket. :angel9: I dont even go to the local yards around here. Not to much in them.

I have found a yard or 2 around me that are real good price. At one the guy behind the counter is even a MoPar nut like me. So I go and shoot the bull for a while. Well that yard has a 78 Aspen, and I can get the roter and hub for $15. The spindle is $20. Caliper is only $5. So for less then $100 I can convert my front to 4.5 bolt pattern. And no, I won't tell ya'll where it is just yet. just kidding.
Jeff

You'll need a set of 73-76 A body upper control arms and lower ball joints to use those spindles.

Well that I already have. I just accquired a complete 74 Dart that will be used as parts car. Oh, I only paid $300 for it. But thanks Adam for looking out for me on the UCA

I'm near Dallas and finding anything worth while for a 70's or older project is near impossible at a salvage yard. I keep my ears and eyes open for parts cars. Whenever I do try to find stuff for my daily driver and I have to go to a pick n pull it SUCKS. Just like the privious responses before - nickel and dime like the stuff is gold. Illegal aliens? Touchy subject for me. I live in Northern Mexico and it aint no fun for me having a light skin color and all....

-
Back