paint on the inside of heads flaking

-

tarrin8

Reaction score
i took off my valve covers today and noticed that the paint on the heads are flaking, just by rubbing my fingers over it some paint comes off , so my main question is how damaging will this be to the motor and should i try and remove all the loose paint, why would someone paint the heads anyways (ya the outside i understand but why paint the inside were if it flakes the paint will going into the motor) the oil should prevent any rust .....

ya forsure im gonna remove anything that i can get off , but how damaging is it for the paint that already is off i can see that a good amount of paint is already gone

They paint it so the oil returns smoother and faster.

Where do ya think that paint goes when it flakes off. Right to the pan and clogs the pick up screen. That's a bad situation you have.

Agreed, that paint will get sucked right to the bottom of the pickup which means no oil flow to the engine. can plug oil galleys to bearings,can plug up lifters.can get in between bearings and bearing surfaces and make a super heated goo that wipes out the engine...all sorts of stuff can happen. Either way its bad news.

I just hope whoever did it didnt also think it was a good idea to paint the inside of the block also? ouch if so.

some people just dont think about those things prior to doing them. I know guys that have their engines professionally teflon coated inside for better oil return but thats different.

I would probably plug up any open holes with rags and tape. spray some carb cleaner on the painted surfaces and take a wire brush and scrub it real good until its bare metal again. clean it out again with the spray. soak it up with rags and air out any loose debris. then re assemble. drain your oil and change it and the filter to.

I know this doesn't help but out of curiosity, was the paint sprayed on or brushed on?

I never had a problem like that using a brush. And what kind of paint was used?

About the only kinda paint that'll hold up to that is red glyptol. It's the same stuff used to paint electrical windings with. As mentioned, it will cause major problems for you. It would be worth tearing down the top half of the engine to me.

I agree with every post ahead of me. If your extremely lucky, cleaning, flushing and muliple filter changes may buy you some time. I'd like to know if the block and heads were done together or the same shop. If so and the valley is done and flaking also, your gonna have some really unhappy bearings in your future.

a pic would be nice. how much paint are we talking about? a light overspray on the rocker shaft pedestals or did they literally paint inside the head?

Maybe it's just a little overspray. Are you sure it's all the way into the heads? Like under the Rockers etc.?? Might not be too bad. GL

Just to be on the safe side I'd drop the oil pan to make sure there's no crap in it that would plug the pickup screen. Might be a little extra work but it will also give you peace of mind.

Just to be on the safe side I'd drop the oil pan to make sure there's no crap in it that would plug the pickup screen. Might be a little extra work but it will also give you peace of mind.

x2. I would definately clean out what you can, and no doubt I would pull the oil pan - not that much work, and you will have some piece of mind....

I know this doesn't help but out of curiosity, was the paint sprayed on or brushed on?

I never had a problem like that using a brush. And what kind of paint was used?
im pretty sure it was sprayed but im not 100% sure

Maybe it's just a little overspray. Are you sure it's all the way into the heads? Like under the Rockers etc.?? Might not be too bad. GL
under the rockers is painted , even the springs were painted

-
Back