Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Got unthreaded today.
Bench checking the alternator off the barracuda, rotor probably has a short. Brush and holder threads in the casting are practically stripped.
Bring the tap and dies home, to check the musket's ramrod vs the musket and tool and worm. M5 x .8 (almost 10-32) which the worm was supposed to have, but is actually 10-24. Go figure.
Thought I'd get a bunch done, all I've done move it a step along. Better than a step back.

Want to read something funny? M&H wiring harnesses

I’m glad I don’t have to climb ladders and scaffolding anymore
Good scaffolding I like. Crazy homemade no way.
I have seen some really good shop made stands for working on windows and such. Actually looked better than working of a regular ladder.

Took the Emergency brake apart today on the Jeep. Its the old style with a drum and shoes just in front of rear driveshaft
Being that the Jeep is a 1948 and im the third owner I felt like I was on a archaeological dig.
The guy I bought the jeep from bought it from the original owner and by the amount of dried up dirt I was scraping off the drum and backing plate it was obvious he never touched it
The shoes were worn out, everything was caked in dirt and grease, It had not been taken apart in decades if ever
Im really enjoying working on this vehicle

Took the Emergency brake apart today on the Jeep. Its the old style with a drum and shoes just in front of rear driveshaft
Being that the Jeep is a 1948 and im the third owner I felt like I was on a archaeological dig.
The guy I bought the jeep from bought it from the original owner and by the amount of dried up dirt I was scraping off the drum and backing plate it was obvious he never touched it
The shoes were worn out, everything was caked in dirt and grease, It had not been taken apart in decades if ever
Im really enjoying working on this vehicle

I went total rainsuit gloves and goggles crawling under the car with a pressure washer.

That house looks alarmingly like one I have sat next to in the shade sipping a toddy? Hah! Roof looks great!
At Travis's tonight. Oh boy!

20220322_184238.jpg

So like $2,200 to start? Am I reading that right?
You have any idea how long it takes to strip a car down to bare metal and remove all rust? 2200 is a bargain. IMO This car is real valuable. one of 32 built. And not just because it was painted pink with a blue interior!!!! 1966 Satellite, 4bbl 383 4 speed convertible, all numbers still intact. All original. So I really do not cringe on spending to do it right.....

That's exactly the math I was doing in my head on time and materials for mechanical stripping. I thought this would be far more expensive
But I have to hall it all up there, not too far....955 miles one way...

Definately worth looking into.
You'll have to remove the vin from the door frame.
Want to find out about how much detail will get lost. I would assume most of the order numbers will be OK but best to find out.
Also don't want the tech inspectors to lean on the fender and start to ask some questions. LOL

Definately worth looking into.
You'll have to remove the vin from the door frame.
Want to find out about how much detail will get lost. I would assume most of the order numbers will be OK but best to find out.
Also don't want the tech inspectors to lean on the fender and start to ask some questions. LOL
Really the only way to make sure all rust is addressed......Car is not to bad as far as rust goes. Floors seem solid, frame rails as well.....Nothing like giving them a car and getting back nothing but a bucket of rust!!!

But I have to hall it all up there, not too far....955 miles one way...
Where are they located? And if you’re gonna do it, do it like next Thursday and stop by San Fran on your way

Tim, I did that process with the 68 roadrunner that I restored a few years back. It was a numbers matching 383 four speed car highly optioned. There was a company in Allentown Pennsylvania doing it at the time. This is about 8 years ago or 9 years ago. I paid about $1,500 to have the entire car done then and all of the sheet metal detached from the car done. Then I took the car body and took it to a powder coater and had a soft sort of paintable powder coating put over the entire thing before we painted the car. I have pictures of all that in my laptop if you PM me maybe I can send them to you so you can see

-
Back