W2's

-
Did anybody cast the design in aluminum?
Yup Indy bought up Batten and tweaked things to create their indy 360-1s and 2s

I sold a set of max ported w2s to somebody on FABO. I got them from a racer out of Detroit. Wish I kept photos of those ports.

I also have the mopar porting templates kicking around here somewhere.

Last edited:
Yup Indy bought up Batten and tweaked things to create their indy 360-1s and 2s

I sold a set of max ported w2s to somebody on FABO. I got them from a racer out of Detroit. Wish I kept photos of those ports.

I also have the mopar porting templates kicking around here somewhere.
That would be I.
How many photos would you like posted?
I have not yet fixed the head. It is sitting on a race block waiting on me free time. (As if I had much of it.)

So far I’ve been 9.70 at 137 @ 2880 lbs with my 362” W2 engine. Still more in it but I’m done chasing ET.

The W2 is tough to beat, I’ve run W2’s since 2009 and doubt I’ll run anything else. They simply make power. Can’t argue with the results.

I don’t care that W2’s are iron. Nonsense to even argue the aluminum vs iron debate. If you have both exhaust bolt patterns, LA headers fit and I’ve ran LA headers for many years. Been in the 9’s with LA headers bolted to W2 heads. The 2nd picture is LA headers and finally I built a set of W2 headers in the 3rd picture.

I don’t have fancy rockers, ductile iron rockers that see 7500 rpm all day long and never miss a beat. Been running these rockers for years.

Not much to complain about if you ask me.

View attachment 1716019536

View attachment 1716019537

View attachment 1716019538

There wasn’t (and isnt) a damned thing wrong with those ductile iron rockers. The only complaint I had was they weren’t available in 1.6 ratio.

They are virtually indestructible.

There has always been (at least years ago) many rocker choices for the W2. It wasn’t like you couldn’t get something.

Guys just have a mental hurdle getting over the offset rocker. Since I love horsepower I couldn’t care less about buying an offset rocker.

So I am new to the W2 and have been trying to read as much as I can find. I got a set of 48⁰ W2s for a great deal. I see they can be made to work on the standard 59⁰ blocks. Tell me about the ductile iron rockers. I thought you had to go with Jesel or T&D offset set ups. Maybe still do, but I am learning. Thanks

The ductile arms were made by Crane, they’re no longer in biz. MoPar Performance sold the Crane rockers.
Currently, Harland Sharp makes Econo and race head rockers for the W2. Then there is Jesel and TD.

All W2 rockers are offset on the intakes.
The race heads have rocker shaft stands that can be moved on the head.

If you go with TD or Jesel, you’ll need to know the valve length before ordering.

Has anyone ever seen pics of the heads that Bob Glidden ran on his Arrow ? I remember he set a record the very first time he had the new car out ! Bob Glidden had to be one of the very best as he did almost everything himself with his family. I would really like to see what castings he used and what was done to them. I know there's his 351 Cleveland stuff still around to see, wonder what happened to the 340/W-2 stuff ?

You are forgetting Bob ran nitrous on all those cars , quite successfully at hiding it , his son admitted it years later !!
You remember on those cars he kept his intake covered up , supposedly hiding his secret design on his intake manifold , was really hiding the nitrous ...

The ductile arms were made by Crane, they’re no longer in biz. MoPar Performance sold the Crane rockers.
Currently, Harland Sharp makes Econo and race head rockers for the W2. Then there is Jesel and TD.

All W2 rockers are offset on the intakes.
The race heads have rocker shaft stands that can be moved on the head.

If you go with TD or Jesel, you’ll need to know the valve length before ordering.

Are you sure Crane made the ductile rockers? I know they made the aluminum rockers but I didn’t think they made the iron rockers.

If that’s so, that’s very interesting.

Are you sure Crane made the ductile rockers? I know they made the aluminum rockers but I didn’t think they made the iron rockers
Don't know if they are Crane or not but they are spot faced for a lock nut.

w2 rocker arms.png

w2 rockers.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure Crane made the ductile rockers? I know they made the aluminum rockers but I didn’t think they made the iron rockers.

I was told this several times. This is why I’m sure they did.
I can not find any difference worth mentioning. Save some things like the aluminum rockers ether with the CraneCams written on it or the typical MP stallings to say it’s their own.

I’ll modify what I said to “Crane made ductile rockers,” of which I know stock mechanical rockers were one and I haven’t seen them by anyone else for a long time if ever that I can currently remember. Often, MP would have Crane products with their part numbers on them as you know.

We have a member here, that worked for S&S Cycle (Dusted/DusTed, something like that,) and knew what Cranes offerings were by heart and urged me to get the rockers. (Sadly I did not.)

Crane also made other manufacturers performance parts throughout the years. When Crane parts dried up, so did many of the MP parts.

So I am new to the W2 and have been trying to read as much as I can find. I got a set of 48⁰ W2s for a great deal. I see they can be made to work on the standard 59⁰ blocks.

There were a couple of items mentioned above about the differences between 48 degree tappet angle W2's and the W2's for 59 degree tappet angle blocks. Those differences mentioned above are notches in the intake face for pushrod clearance due to the change in pushrod angle, heads casted after Jan 10, 2002 will need pushrod oiling and T&D rockers & the heads will not have the shaft oiling hold drilled in the head deck through to the pedestal.

One other difference that 48 degree W2 heads have is a 15 degree valve angle which differs from the stock 18 degree valve angle. You can get pistons made with 15 degree valve pockets or if using 18 degree pistons, like most off the shelf pistons are, then piston to valve clearance becomes more tricky. If you need more piston to valve clearance with 18 degree pistons, you can fly cut the pistons or angle mill the heads. Angle milling the heads will create the need for other intake or head mating modifications and and exhaust complications depending on your vehicle being used.

Here is a picture of W2 stock intake port and a set of highly modified Dick Landy heads. Note large retangular modifications including raised roof right up to the valve cover rail and modified clearance for push rod angularity changes.

0ECDBA9B-33C5-4182-8F51-4ED03DF251D2.jpeg

Has anyone ever seen pics of the heads that Bob Glidden ran on his Arrow ? I remember he set a record the very first time he had the new car out ! Bob Glidden had to be one of the very best as he did almost everything himself with his family. I would really like to see what castings he used and what was done to them. I know there's his 351 Cleveland stuff still around to see, wonder what happened to the 340/W-2 stuff ?

From this old FABO thread: Curious about AAR/TA Heads

1670649130226.png

Facebook:

1670649374860.png

I have a pair of these most likely last ones made as you can see from the date 11 on them.Oil through pushrods,59 degree and 65 chambers.One of these days I'm going to use these but I just have too many extra standard la stuff.

20221209_182805.jpg

20221209_182825.jpg

20221209_185751.jpg

So I am new to the W2 and have been trying to read as much as I can find. I got a set of 48⁰ W2s for a great deal. I see they can be made to work on the standard 59⁰ blocks. Tell me about the ductile iron rockers. I thought you had to go with Jesel or T&D offset set ups. Maybe still do, but I am learning. Thanks

So that was a bust. The order I placed on a website allowed the order and gave confirmation numbers, but they didn't actually have stock. That sucks, oh well, back to big block stuff for me then.

So that was a bust. The order I placed on a website allowed the order and gave confirmation numbers, but they didn't actually have stock. That sucks, oh well, back to big block stuff for me then.

W2 stuff is on Facebook marketplace almost daily.

W2 stuff is on Facebook marketplace almost daily.
Thanks I will have to look. This website, left unnamed, had them on sale, new bare, for $200ea. too good to be true. none were left, and not sure how long ago the sale was.

Thanks I will have to look. This website, left unnamed, had them on sale, new bare, for $200ea. too good to be true. none were left, and not sure how long ago the sale was.

Jegs was good for this. Heck last time I looked they still had R3 blocks available.

Not a good example but this was a five minute search.

Sold my 64 Valiant to a friend and now I’m selling off all the other parts.

First off is a NEW, never fired, custom built 10:1 408… estimated 650 hp

360 .030 block

Decked and line honed

ARP head and main studs

Balanced rotating assembly:

•Mopar 4” stroke Hemi flanged forged steel crank w/ 2.1 (SBC) rod journals

•JE 23cc dished pistons w/floating SBC diameter wrist pins

•JE CM file fit rings

•Eagle H beam 6.135 rods

•Milodon windage tray

•Milodon fixed gear drive

•Chet Herbert .604 solid roller cam

•Crane lifters

•W2 CI ported heads, Ferrea SS 5/16” stem valves, bronze guides

•Harland Sharp split ratio rocker arms

•Smith brothers pushrods

•Holley Strip Dominator ported intake

•ATI balancer…. $9500 FIRM

Short block is assembled

Heads are ready to bolt on

Chose not to fully assemble so moving it would be easier.

Also available separately:

273-360 “Holley” aluminum valve covers by M/T.. $185

New A body W2 Hedman Hustler fenderwell hedders w/head plates & gaskets… $1,050

Aluminum case 833 3 spd w/OD, 309:1 E body w/an B body to an A body location mounted rebuilt Hurst Super Shifter.. $1500

A body 833 CI case 266:1… $1100

273-360 Lakewood blow proof w/block plate…$695 (red).. $750 (blue)

Dana 60 truck housing (no ends) w/Hemi drum brakes … $500

Dana 60 3.73 gear… $275

DANA 60 bolt together 35 spline posi… $600

B body Dana 60: 36” wide, 4.56 Strange spool / 35 spline axle, large studs wildwood disc brakes, ladder bar and wheelie bar brackets.. $1600

Old fiberglass hood scoop… $175

Box of misc parts: (A body)

4 boxes of drum brake hardware, 1 brake cable, 1 wheel cyl, other stuff.. $80

Cross posted See less

79C54BC1-5ADB-4855-A180-BEAF7BFFE2DB.png

A26F6234-B7A2-44C6-B9DE-391114E22295.png

This came up too. If I’m not mistaken that’s a W2 Tunnelram that guys drool over.

View attachment 1716021692

View attachment 1716021693

View attachment 1716021694

Yup, that’s it. The Pro Dominator. You can barely see it on the left side of the picture.

Couldn‘t find one 10 years ago. Now they are popping up all over the place.

I suspect that’s because the guys who bought them sat on them so long they decided to not use them. Some guys when they get older don’t want 2 carbs.

I’m not that old yet.

Yup, that’s it. The Pro Dominator. You can barely see it on the left side of the picture.

Couldn‘t find one 10 years ago. Now they are popping up all over the place.

I suspect that’s because the guys who bought them sat on them so long they decided to not use them. Some guys when they get older don’t want 2 carbs.

I’m not that old yet.

When you look at the for sale ads you gotta learn to look outside the frame to find the goodies sometimes. Lol. How did you like that catch.

Great catch. You should buy some W2’s and that tunnel ram and stick that 360 in the 8’s!!!

Every track I race at runs my class 1/8 mile now. My black duster has already been in the 5’s so the next target would be 4’s with the heads up car. Which will probably never happen as I’m to old to push nitrous that hard as a one man team. I’ll leave that game to kids in their 30’s with 5-6 helpers.

-
Back