Welp, here I go again. Parts in or on the way!

-

Cruisingram

Reaction score
I have laid off the ol' wifey dart, had lots going on, but collected a part or two here or there- the Dr Diff was the biggest piece.

So what am I doing?

Basically, I am doing a BBP brake and suspension swap on it, and putting 15" rims and replacing the 13s. It sits so low that I can't even get a low floor jack under the cross member- and I put a hole in the oil pan once. So after I fixed it and got it running, I parked it.

So I ordered the 1.03 torsion bars, 8 3/4 spring perches, the DR Diff kit, and plan on dropping a 94 YJ wrangler rear end into it. I will also now have 3.55 gears and much better rear brakes! The Wrangler and A body have the same width axle, bolting surface to bolting surface, and the spring perches on the wrong side of the axle seems to be the only other difference?

So the first thing I am doing is removing the drive shaft and taking it to the spot that does these kinds of things and have them put the Jeep YJ Ujoint yoke on the axle side. Then off to swapping everything over!

Could you use an "Adapter U Joint" and save some
trouble?
While that sounds great, in hawaii, two weeks of shipping from anywhere, I want ready on the shelf parts. I want to walk into the local guy parts store and say "gimme a jeep ujoint brah".

The Driveline shops in our area keep them in stock for most
applications.
I save the box so I will not have to search the part #.

I hang my head in wishing it were true here LOL
For the cost of a couple spares, I'd just stock them Myself if that's an issue, but if the shaft is being shortened w/a new end I guess that yoke swap'd make sense for the same $$$.

So the first thing I am doing is removing the drive shaft and taking it to the spot that does these kinds of things and have them put the Jeep YJ Ujoint yoke on the axle side. Then off to swapping everything over!
So what is the "spot" going to do? The way I see it, they can either they can cut your driveshaft and put on the end from the Jeep or install your factory end and use a conversion u-joint. Dr. Diff sells conversion joints as does RockAuto.com, NAPA and O'reilly's (all on the island).

What "kit" did you buy from Dr. Diff?

So what is the "spot" going to do? The way I see it, they can either they can cut your driveshaft and put on the end from the Jeep or install your factory end and use a conversion u-joint. Dr. Diff sells conversion joints as does RockAuto.com, NAPA and O'reilly's (all on the island).

I bought the bbp 10.75 Disc brake conversion for 68 A bodies.

I have been parking my wife's dart at a friends house- my lava road is too dangerous for oil pans LOL- but it's really cool, it has a lift! So I am going to do the work there. They will cut the factory axel side U joint off and put on the jeep side Ujoint so it's an off the shelf YJ ujoint.

I will take lots of pics and such of the swap. The Jeep swap rearend I think is the perfect balance for us /6 mild build guys vs an expensive 8 3/4.

Yay! I like it when parts are on the way... Actually buying parts is a big part of the fun for me...

A bit like it's your Bday? LOL
I think so its the excitement of opening th box when it comes, but ordering is fun and bolting them on the car the whole thing...things are expensive now though Im glad Ive had years to collect things but theres always little things to pick up also.

OP's putting a Wrangler rear in, which will probably require shortening the prop-shaft, so He wants to just have a Jeep yoke put on at the same time....then He can use a standard Mopar up front & standard Jeep out back...simple really, just the $$$ for the new yoke. I'd use that $$$ personally to buy a couple of hybrid joints to keep around when/if they need changing, but really is 6 of one & 1/2 dozen the other, purely His preference.

-
Back