What is the "perfect" street/strip package......for the average Moparian

-
Sounds like the guy that had the fairlane either didn't know how to tune or drive his car as that 427 should've been at least 425 horsepower, don't get me wrong here, I know that those 340's could run.

lot of big block cars can’t hook up in the street making it easier for the 340.

That’s the is thing(s) right there. Even though a big block makes more power, besides the weight of the engine it self, the normally come in bigger cars moving more weight on skinny tires. Spinning ain’t winning.

By todays output, I’ll have to agree. By yesteryears level, it was big for the street. Not heads up racing at the upper levels of yesteryears racers. 550/600 hp from a small block “N/A” is still a lot to achieve. For most, it’s beyond there idea of what streetable is, or what they think is there tolerance level.

I would have to thank modern parts that make it good for the street. Better ground cams, off the shelf heads that are really good vs old day stuff not so readily available, torque converters are a huge help these days. They really make driving a pleasure with the way they act and drive. This is one area certainly worth spending the money on.

Often when I’m asked, what’s a good way to go about getting the most out of the engine and car, my response is always, great heads and a great converter no matter the engine size or lower level your in. Just tell your converter guy EVERYTHING! No secrets! It’ll only hurt you & the cars performance.

550-600 hp is not really what I would call "big power" but it is the meat and potatoes of what you will find at the track on an average day and also when done correctly that same car drives around no different than most peoples daily drivers outside of some creature comforts.....I think the hang up with some is that you never had a car like that and in your mind you feel it can't be done.....well it does get done in many different combo's and it's a shame that more don't understand that and are really missing out on some great packages.

By todays output, I’ll have to agree. By yesteryears level, it was big for the street. Not heads up racing at the upper levels of yesteryears racers. 550/600 hp from a small block “N/A” is still a lot to achieve. For most, it’s beyond there idea of what streetable is, or what they think is there tolerance level.

I would have to thank modern parts that make it good for the street. Better ground cams, off the shelf heads that are really good vs old day stuff not so readily available, torque converters are a huge help these days. They really make driving a pleasure with the way they act and drive. This is one area certainly worth spending the money on.

Often when I’m asked, what’s a good way to go about getting the most out of the engine and car, my response is always, great heads and a great converter no matter the engine size or lower level your in. Just tell your converter guy EVERYTHING! No secrets! It’ll only hurt you & the cars performance.
I have stated it and believe 100% that the best money you can spend is on a convertor and from my limited experience with other friends cars is the difference between a pooch and why doesn't it generate a better time slip to something that is eye opening and everyone else wonders why your car is soooo much faster with seemingly similar setups and power.

550-600 hp is not really what I would call "big power" but it is the meat and potatoes of what you will find at the track on an average day and also when done correctly that same car drives around no different than most peoples daily drivers outside of some creature comforts.....I think the hang up with some is that you never had a car like that and in your mind you feel it can't be done.....well it does get done in many different combo's and it's a shame that more don't understand that and are really missing out on some great packages.

Absolute truth! I’m 61 and learned years ago that most of the time when people tell you something can’t be done, they’ve never attempted it. It seems that most of those people congregate on the internet and give advice.

If my wife is having difficulty with something the first words out of her mouth are “I can’t”. It just kills me. Growing up on a farm with a Dad that lived through the depression there was no “I can’t”. You had to figure out the problem and the solution. I had a English teacher in elementary school, her favorite phrase was “I can’t never did anything”, it’s still true all these years later.

I’m a member of this and the other major Mopar forum and there only a handful of people I seek advice from, the rest I just filter out the nonsense. Car forums don’t have a lock on keyboard experts, check out some gun forums, they’re there in full force too.

Absolute truth! I’m 61 and learned years ago that most of the time when people tell you something can’t be done, they’ve never attempted it. It seems that most of those people congregate on the internet and give advice.

If my wife is having difficulty with something the first words out of her mouth are “I can’t”. It just kills me. Growing up on a farm with a Dad that lived through the depression there was no “I can’t”. You had to figure out the problem and the solution. I had a English teacher in elementary school, her favorite phrase was “I can’t never did anything”, it’s still true all these years later.

I’m a member of this and the other major Mopar forum and there only a handful of people I seek advice from, the rest I just filter out the nonsense. Car forums don’t have a lock on keyboard experts, check out some gun forums, they’re there in full force too.
LOL.....Thanks

Street/ strip duties...
A stop at the Root Beer Stand in my town here today
409588D4-BE60-4EFB-B8BD-ADC33828148B.jpeg

I hear you. My dad used to say, "Can't died in the poorhouse."

The factory hood might be my favorite part of the whole deal.......just awesome considering how well it performs but yet looks essentially stock

everything I have ever had I have tried to keep stealthy looking.
Don’t like big tires, fiberglass, gutted interiors , etc, etc.

everything I have ever had I have tried to keep stealthy looking.
Don’t like big tires, fiberglass, gutted interiors , etc, etc.
Same here and although the Barracuda has a Hemi style hood on it the Demon will retain its factory hood and interior along with the '68 GTS

reminds me of being once in the staging lanes in Hockenheim over here in germany....it started to rain, race was postponed....i was the only guy with wipers. That was a funny finding ;-)

Go to grocery store.....yes.....drive to work 20 miles away on occasion......yes depending upon said individual and if we weren't getting raped at the gas pumps......drive many many miles across states and through the mountains.......I probably wouldn't but Drag Week and other type platforms prove that it is possible.
Love the look of the car and like what you got going on
Why stop there......maybe integrate a Hyabusa engine in it or maybe a souped up Cummins.......HAHAHAHAHA
Why care ....gas is totally out of reach and there gonna ban motorsports unless it’s ‘lectric ...no more drag strip ,nascar ,etc....

I can't tell you what my ideal car is but can tell you what I have had and what I have now! Back in 1975 I had a 1974 ex police Valiant charger with 265 hemi and 4 speed. That car ran 16.1 qtrs. I bought a 4 barrel manifold and headers of a valiant pacer and with std exhaust and std cam would run 14.7 qtrs all day long even with the 3.23 diff. I put a 340 six pac motor in it with 4 speed and 3.91 dodge diff. That combo with second hand road racing slicks on it ran 13.6 qtrs all day long. I did try a set of drag slicks on it but they were 29 inches tall so gearing was wrong but did a best of 13.1 . Forty years later I now have a 1974 charger again with 410 stroker with 11 to 1 comp with five speed tremec and 3.91 diff and 28 inch tyres. cruises nice @ 70 mph @ 2600 rpm. That car made 390 rwhp on a chassis dyno and has run a best of 11.4 @ 120mph on slicks. I have since upgraded to trick flow heads and changed the roller cam to a mike at B3 designed 238/242 610 lift on a 112 lobe sep and it idles at 15 inches of vacuum @ 850 rpm and is a real gem to drive, I also changed from a rpm air gap to a 340 victor. The engine now makes 425 rwhp and 550 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels but I have not run it down the qtr due to the covid situation here in Aus. It is a pleasure to drive as it is very docile and does not buck and jump in traffic. The only other thing I might do to make it better is maybe a full EFI system like a pro flow4 but the cost would be over $6000 by the time you add fuel pump etc in Australia.

I can't tell you what my ideal car is but can tell you what I have had and what I have now! Back in 1975 I had a 1974 ex police Valiant charger with 265 hemi and 4 speed. That car ran 16.1 qtrs. I bought a 4 barrel manifold and headers of a valiant pacer and with std exhaust and std cam would run 14.7 qtrs all day long even with the 3.23 diff. I put a 340 six pac motor in it with 4 speed and 3.91 dodge diff. That combo with second hand road racing slicks on it ran 13.6 qtrs all day long. I did try a set of drag slicks on it but they were 29 inches tall so gearing was wrong but did a best of 13.1 . Forty years later I now have a 1974 charger again with 410 stroker with 11 to 1 comp with five speed tremec and 3.91 diff and 28 inch tyres. cruises nice @ 70 mph @ 2600 rpm. That car made 390 rwhp on a chassis dyno and has run a best of 11.4 @ 120mph on slicks. I have since upgraded to trick flow heads and changed the roller cam to a mike at B3 designed 238/242 610 lift on a 112 lobe sep and it idles at 15 inches of vacuum @ 850 rpm and is a real gem to drive, I also changed from a rpm air gap to a 340 victor. The engine now makes 425 rwhp and 550 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels but I have not run it down the qtr due to the covid situation here in Aus. It is a pleasure to drive as it is very docile and does not buck and jump in traffic. The only other thing I might do to make it better is maybe a full EFI system like a pro flow4 but the cost would be over $6000 by the time you add fuel pump etc in Australia.
Sounds cool......any pics?

Not good at posting images but 1974 Valiant Charger with 410 stroker , 5 speed tko and 7 3/4 borge warner diff with 31 spline billet axles and true track centre with diff hat brace.

PTIZ9438.JPG

PTIZ9438.JPG

I’m going the street/strip route with this:
440 small block (4.25 crank/4.06 bore)
R3 block
Rod Bloomer stroker kit
10.5:1
Indy 360-1 heads
T & D rockers
Indy intake
1025 cfm 4150 carb
Comp solid roller:
.700/.672 - 270/276 @ .050 112 center
Pro built 904 with the best parts
Turbo Action reverse manual valve body
Turbo Action 10” 4200 converter
8 3/4 rear with 3.55’s, Strange spool and axles
2 pass side SS springs
Springs moved in
Mini tubbed
Frames tied
CCP tubular upper control arms
CCP front disc brakes, 10” drums on rear

Will test with a g-meter soon I hope, but will make some 1/8 mile hits at TNT in the fall air.

6EC5BD11-A0BE-4AED-81DF-2A8399B76699.jpeg

450812FA-F481-4F8D-A1A3-5F0A83ACC7E1.jpeg

I’m going the street/strip route with this:
440 small block (4.25 crank/4.06 bore)
R3 block
Rod Bloomer stroker kit
10.5:1
Indy 360-1 heads
T & D rockers
Indy intake
1025 cfm 4150 carb
Comp solid roller:
.700/.672 - 270/276 @ .050 112 center
Pro built 904 with the best parts
Turbo Action reverse manual valve body
Turbo Action 10” 4200 converter
8 3/4 rear with 3.55’s, Strange spool and axles
2 pass side SS springs
Springs moved in
Mini tubbed
Frames tied
CCP tubular upper control arms
CCP front disc brakes, 10” drums on rear

Will test with a g-meter soon I hope, but will make some 1/8 mile hits at TNT in the fall air.

Sounds like it'll be a hoot! I'd look at another converter, mine flashes 5600 and honestly I think it would work better if it was 6000.

-
Back