Where did this term "chunk" come from?

-
Gas mileage came up, and he commented he was running a 2.76 gear, and when he got to where his was going, he would just swap it out and "Chunk" it in the trunk.
I will have to say I am guilty of this.Way back in younger days.
Home was Pa.School was Denver Colorado. Would swap in 2.94 for the 1600 mile drive.
Swap in 3.91 once at my destination.On the ground. 4 times a year during school breaks.
Being 17-18 never thought twice about it. 70 340 4 speed Duster. Did the tall tire thing too.

Last edited:
Home was Pa.School was Denver Colorado. Would swap in 2.94 for the 1600 mile drive.
Swap in 3.91 once at my destination.On the ground. 4 times a year during school breaks.
Being 17-18 never thought twice about it. 70 340 4 speed Duster. Do the tall tire thing too.
Yup those were the days! LOL

Being 17-18 never thought twice about it. 70 340 4 speed Duster. Do the tall tire thing too.
Yep,did that too, many many years ago. Changed from blown out glass packs and a 4.56 posi, to 3.08s and (genuine corvair) turbo mufflers, on my 57 Chevy (corvette fuel injection on a 360horse 350) and back again. Exhaust and center section in under an hour. The gear change difference was startling. Either direction.
It takes me that long to get the car in the air, nowadays!

Last edited:
Big Heavy Chunk of Iron.

If you ever laid on your back on a creeper and tried to drop one out, yeah that's a heavy "Chunk".

☆☆☆☆☆
Try the pumpkin from a Terex TS14 scraper. We found that if the transmission failed it may have been caused by a broken tooth in the differential. This required pulling the pumkin out under the scraper and usually in a ditch after it had rained. Crawl under with the wrenches required, a scraper and a tube of RTV sealant. You do not want to drop the diff in the mud, so when you get it out you rest it on your thighs while kneeling in the mud and 6" of water. Inspect the gears and if OK scrape the sealing surfaces and apply RTV and lift the pumpkin up into place. Snug up nuts at 10 and 2 locations. Now try to crawl.out and get your legs working again so you can finish up.

This is all fascinating. You guys have some weird names for a Differential. Maybe we should make up another new name for it.

-
Back