Why are 318's low HP and torque?

-
Personally I love 318's. Best bang for the buck if you get a good low mileage one and put on 4 barrel setup with headers. Once you start factoring in machine work to build one though, you may as well find a 360 to build as it will give you more from your $ invested in the machine shop.

If your goal is a stroker engine right from the start, you could go with 318/340/360, any of them at that point, whichever one you have.

I have a 318 in my 73 Dart Sport, 74 Valiant, 76 Cordoba(getting a 360 swap), and my father has one in his 91 Ram. Fantastic engines!

I have a 318 in my 86 Charger it runs 6.40's in the 1/8 mile at 109 mph oh did I fail to mention it was stroked to a 390 and has a competition cam with a 509 lift but it dies run on pump gas 93 and no NOS on 9.5 compression.

I've always said, if mopar fans would love their 318's like Ford fans love their 302's in the fox bodies, there would be a lot more 11 second 318's on the street..... :(

I love my 318s <3333. Cant wait to start up my fresh 318/390 stroker with ported 340 xheads 294s cam. Rummmm

got finally valiant back running :cheers:

WP_000309.jpg

feels powerfull, wonder how much theres power now.
ps. those hooker headers are pain in the *** to install, not much room...

And if turd 302/5.0 is good the 318 is 16 cibes bigger with better flowing heads than any stock turd head.even the factory gt-40 heads.:prayer:

Also 318's are dirt cheap if not free:cheers:

I got one 318 for $10, and another for free. They are out there. Now if I can just find a 383 in as good condition for $10 I'd be happy. :lol:

Several years ago, Hot Rod Magazine ran a story where they built a 350 Chevy, a 351 Ford and a 318 Mopar on a strict budget (I think it was around $2,000). The 318 made the most power. 318s will run very well if they have the right cam, decent compression and heads that can breath.

To answer the title question of this thread....they're not!!!! A Chevy 327 2 barrel of the same Era was rated at 210 hp. and 320 lb./ft. Torque. A 302-2 Ford...220 hp. 300 tq. A 351 Windsor..only 250 horse. A 68 teen was rated at 230 horse, 340 tq.

-My Dad loved the famed 318.......He said the 360 was a gas hog for the power it produced as the 318 was close to it with a bit lower MPG! Thing is, sure the 360 is bigger, and can have more machine work done to it, but the 318 would haul *** as said if built right and get pretty good mileage still, after the build.

MY biggest question is the 2 different 318's, the LA and the A "Poly-Head" engine..... Which is longer lasting and can have more done to it between the 2? Machine work and all? I KNOW theres very little offered for the Poly engines, BUT I also know they like they're younger brother are damn near indestructible!!!!!

BUT which was the most powerful stock? AND if "lightly" built?

To answer the title question of this thread....they're not!!!! A Chevy 327 2 barrel of the same Era was rated at 210 hp. and 320 lb./ft. Torque. A 302-2 Ford...220 hp. 300 tq. A 351 Windsor..only 250 horse. A 68 teen was rated at 230 horse, 340 tq.
Factory hp ratings are somewhat arbitrary. You will never find a stock 2v 318 that makes 230 hp. More like 180-190.

Factory hp ratings are somewhat arbitrary. You will never find a stock 2v 318 that makes 230 hp. More like 180-190.

Well, the 273 two-barrel was rated at 180 horsepower with 45 cubic inches less. A hope the 318 was putting out more than a 273 or something is really wrong.

Attachments

• 8436432-1965ValiantEffortcopy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 477
Well, the 273 two-barrel was rated at 180 horsepower with 45 cubic inches less. A hope the 318 was putting out more than a 273 or something is really wrong.
By those ratings the 273 would be down more horsepower as well. The difference is probably pretty close despite the numbers being lower on both sides.

Have to be careful using factory HP ratings though, comparing a motor with the same or more power at an extra 1000 RPM is not an equal comparison. That's part of why the LAs are as good of motors as they are- they were always built stock around usable and streetable power. The further from cruise speed the peak gets, the more the package is hurt by not having enough gear. Fine to run tall gears in a motor that peaks at 4200, but doing so in a motor that peaks at 6500 is mean most of its power will never be used. That's why the Magnum trucks weren't slower than the LS trucks or Hemi trucks they were sold beside- their gearing let them take full advantage of their peak where the higher HP trucks couldn't.

MY biggest question is the 2 different 318's, the LA and the A "Poly-Head" engine..... Which is longer lasting and can have more done to it between the 2? Machine work and all? I KNOW theres very little offered for the Poly engines, BUT I also know they like they're younger brother are damn near indestructible!!!!!

They are essentially the same engine, and have identical horsepower and torque ratings 230hp/340ft lbs. Same bore and stroke - pretty much all the same as far as the short block goes so they should have the same longevity. Most polys had solid lifters so they have a bit more maintenance. Some parts from the LA series of engines will work on the A318 as well. I've found quite a few articles on hot rodding an A318 - it's an interesting engine for sure.

Truth is in stock form this is all true, but you only have to make a few adjustments to make a difference. Let’s start in the beginning, the LA engine is the same from 273 to 340 except bore, all have 6.123 rod, 3.31 stroke, and all 1971 and earlier LA engines had steel cranks. 318 have 3.91 bore, 340 4.04 bore, 360 4.00 bore, and heads are the big difference period. You can’t run the big valves heads on 273 without notching the cylinders, but it can be done, the rest you can. So let’s stick with the 318, X, J, and 360 heads have almost the same flow so don’t work so hard at it. Get a set of 74 to 88 360 heads and put in a set of 2.02 1.60 valves with good springs when you have them machined, clean up the casting in the ports “don’t grind them.” Note; why 74 to 88 360 heads - they have harden seats for unleaded gas, they flow as well as the X heads, and can be opened up to 2.02 without replacing the seats, and are cheap and plentiful. Bore it to 3.94 (.030 over), put in the “Keith Black KB399 KTM30 piston and rings” (I have been running this for years on low octane gas, so save it everyone, Chrysler has the most efficient combustion chamber of this time just run good fuel when you race it) 2.02/1.60 heads, full groove main bearings, good rod bearings, cam bearings, Purple Shaft 484/284 cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Flow intake, with Edelbrock 750 cfm performer carb with Elc. Choke, headers, 340 (with good bolts) or eagle I-beam rods, deck the block to make it flat, and balance the rotating assembly, High Volume Oil pump and a 7qt pan, roller rockers, and call Hensley Performance in Knoxville Tennessee (ask for Ken or Matt) before machining, and ask for the “Purple Book” it will show you how to fix the oiling problem. This combination will make you between 400 to 410 hp with 430 fpt, this out of a 318 (325cid). Foot note; Chrysler never had a designated 360 casting until 1974 so the 71, 72, and 73 are 340 blocks with 360 casting marks (Thick cylinder walls) it is the poor man stroker, the early 71, 72, 73 - 360 can be bored to 4.08 “Remember it is a 340 block so it is a 040 340 with a 3.58 stroke” is a 374 cid small block kind of cool and very fast. And if you are using a light car (A-Body 3200lb or less) run a 904 trans with the deep 272 front gear and 4.30 rear gear, 2800lb car very low 11’s. This will give you a hard launch and a great top end charge in ¼ mile. You can build this for about $1500.00 or less. I am a school teacher “I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night” LOL good luck and have fun.

I did not read the entire thread but I did read enough to see all kinds of ways to try and get good power out of a 318. IMO there are only a hand full of good reasons to get involved in a 318. 1) You live in a remote area and finding a 360 is too difficult. 2) You are wanting to build only moderate power AND get decent fuel millage. 3)Your budget is very small and you already have a 318. 4) You're going to run in a racing class that requires you to use a 318. 5) You are building a car that you want to keep numbers matching and it has the original 318 in it. 6) You simply want to prove it can be done. With that said, why not simply get a 360? The junk yards and classifieds have plenty of Magnum 360s out of Durangos, P.U. trucks and vans. Find a decent one and change a few parts and you will be miles ahead and likely spend less than trying to get power out of a 318.

-My Dad loved the famed 318...

On the poly 318 you change the cam, heads and intake to the LA and bore it to 4.040. You now have a 340 with 318 numbers on the block. Yes it can take that big of a bore.

So don't junk those old poly 318 blocks.

They don't move as much air through them. Like others have said about the 3C's....
cam....make it possible to pump more air through, cam allows valves to stay open longer (duration) and lift pushes valves open further.
compression.... improve combustion efficiency of the air that is moving through
carb....put more gas/better atomization so it allows the charged air/fuel mix to be more efficient (a bigger combustion "bang".

Other things that help flow more air or air flow efficiency.... headers/exhaust improve exhaust gas removal/flow. Head porting/polishing improve flow (enlarged ports for example) and efficiency (polishing allows air to flow more laminar rather than turbulent). Intake manifold....more flow volume/more flow efficiency. Bigger heads (340/360 for example) have bigger valves and bigger ports thus allowing for more air flow.

Although they aren't power houses a 318 has to be one of the best engines ever as far as reliability goes.

Although they aren't power houses a 318 has to be one of the best engines ever as far as reliability goes.
Ok if I am gonna do a stroker is it worth the time and money to find a 360 or just do the 318 I already have?

On the poly 318 you change the cam, heads and intake to the LA and bore it to 4.040. You now have a 340 with 318 numbers on the block. Yes it can take that big of a bore.

So don't junk those old poly 318 blocks.
Is that even possible? I have NEVER seen a poly with a "LA" top end....Have you done it....... or is this one of those I know a guy, who knows a guy, deals? Id rather have a stroked crank in a poly personally.

-
Back