Will I need to re-ring my pistons?

-
I've never torn an engine down that far and not used new rings. I have reasebled with only a ball hone if it was in spec.

Probably Canadian built. The VIN and fender tag read polysphere 318. Dad bought this car back in '77. Engine is "assumed" to be original to the car. Pistons are stock replacement .040. Valve seals are umbrella style that came with OEM gasket set. PCV is original '60's Mopar and in good condition. Smokes upon startup/idle. Smokes for a little while driving, then clears up after a while. Uses a lot of oil. Probably add a pint within a couple of weeks. A few hundred miles I suppose. Other than the oil consumption and dirty valves, engine runs like a champ.

A quart of oil every thousand miles is a lot cheaper than rebuilding an engine.

So maybe a quart in 400-500 miles? Could conceivably be valve stem seals shot and pulling that much. I'd probably throw some new stem seals in there to see; not much work or money. If good, then OK; if not, not much wasted.

And put in another PCV valve just to check... again not much cost or effort.

Yes, valve seals and trickle some Marvel Mystery Oil down the carb at a couple thousand rpm. That'll blast the carbon out and free up sticky rings.

I'm a Rislone man myself ....But either one will make fantastic amounts of smoke LOL
Another great product. I used to trickle a Coke bottle of water down the carb. That works too. Just a trickle though!

Thanks for the replies. I have read that misting water from a spray bottle down the carb will "steam clean" the valves. I may give that a try and get some new seals on them. Will pull that PCV and make sure it is still in good working order. True, oil is cheaper than a rebuild, but that carbon coking will keep building up and become quite a restriction.

All are fine suggestions and if one works, you've saved some money and a lot of extra labor for sure. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for the replies. I have read that misting water from a spray bottle down the carb will "steam clean" the valves. I may give that a try and get some new seals on them. Will pull that PCV and make sure it is still in good working order. True, oil is cheaper than a rebuild, but that carbon coking will keep building up and become quite a restriction.

I wonder if washer fluid would work better?

I like atf. Lubes while it cleans
Mm oil is just a expensive alt to atf

All are fine suggestions and if one works, you've saved some money and a lot of extra labor for sure. Good luck and keep us posted!
And the 'if one works' is the operative word....that level of oil consumption could be seals but it could be rings too. I don't know how to 100% determine which of the 2 possibilities it is.

BTW, as far as the carbon on the intake valves, I think I would go with the MMO or Rislone. The water might break off bigger chunks of the carbon; I'd rather dissolve it off.

And the 'if one works' is the operative word....that level of oil consumption could be seals but it could be rings too. I don't know how to 100% determine which of the 2 possibilities it is.

BTW, as far as the carbon on the intake valves, I think I would go with the MMO or Rislone. The water might break off bigger chunks of the carbon; I'd rather dissolve it off.
Good point. Thank you.

-
Back