1972 Scamp, my regular cruiser

-
Great Job, I really like the way it looks, especially the painted top, I have been contemplating doing something along that same idea with mine but not completely sold on the idea yet

Thanks. A few traditionalists have commented they didn't like it because it isn't stock, but in general people like it. I don't like vinyl tops, so it was an easy decision for me.

Last summer I bought another set of wheel at the Nats because I was thinking about changing wheel color. It turned out those wheels were too rough to use. But earlier this summer I was gifted another set from a forum member. I had them media blasted and they looked new...

IMG_8343.JPG

I primed them myself and painted the back side. My friend who painted the car painted the wheels with the extra paint we had. I will have the tires from the current set of wheels switched to the new set tomorrow. I'll post those pics when I get the wheels onto the car. In the mean time, I spent this weekend painting a different set of dog dish hubcaps that I bought on the forum a while back. I had cleaned and polished them, but never repainted them.

I experimented with a variety of making strategies. This is what I thought worked best.
IMG_8376.JPG

IMG_8378.JPG

Painted them

IMG_8379.JPG

Unmasked
IMG_8380.JPG

Wrapped a rag around a stiff foam sanding black and used this to wipe away the paint on the raised areas and was left with the black in the recessed areas

IMG_8372.JPG

A before and after comparison

IMG_8375.JPG

They aren't perfect, but you gotta remember this is just my regular cruiser. I just enjoy driving it.

It does seem like a lot of work for a change I'm not sure I'm going to like. I plan on keeping the black wheels so I can switch back if I choose.

Last edited:
Wow! looks great. I thought the roof would not look so good without the top, but it looks great. I agree -no stripe. What kind of glass pack muffler did you use?

Wow! looks great. I thought the roof would not look so good without the top, but it looks great. I agree -no stripe. What kind of glass pack muffler did you use?

Thanks!

It was a no-name glass pack our local muffler guy keeps in stock. I have the same one on my '57 D100.

Here are pics of the new wheels. You can see the before pics in my signature pic.

IMG_8402.JPG

CUKU0812.JPG

IMG_8408.JPG

Last edited:
Love the color matched wheels and new dog dishes! I'm not a purist, but something about mopars with body color wheels just looks right!

How did that new in dash speaker work out? Thanks. I am interested and will monitor the auction!!

How did that new in dash speaker work out? Thanks. I am interested and will monitor the auction!!
The speaker is great. Plenty loud to listen with the windows down cruising at 60mph
Thanks - the coffee kicked in and I finally watched the video.

-
Back