AC guinea pig...

-
I thought about trying to cool the condenser but it's hard to get too and it has the Pusher fan on it and a puller fan on the radiator side so I assumed it would just start throwing water all over everything..

Yep, that happens with a mechanical fan too when the water makes it through radiator. Air conditioning service is hell......

Okay I think I'm finally getting somewhere... It was still 90° out but at least the shade had came over from the trees. I was able to put another full can in and that seemed to bring things up and I was getting finally a temperature drop in the evaporator. It got down to 59- 57- 61..
Of course that's with all the windows open and it's sucking the hot-air off the hot firewall....
I was seeing pressure readings of close to 42 and on the high side about 210...
according to my chart those should be the readings I should be getting around 75 to 80 degrees ambient....
I think just a little bit more Freon and I should have it...
Again I'm very highly suspicious of this high side line as now it seems to hold one crap ton in the line itself. I went to just Purge the line out and I had to shut it off it was holding what seems like way too much freon and I didn't want to let it all out into the atmosphere...
I believe tomorrow morning I'm just going to try it again and only hook up the low side, again the readings on the high side where the readings that the chart shows I should be getting for what the low side says...

Last edited:
With the temperature so high and it just idling most of the time the fan was on constantly and so was the AC compressor and it's fan.
It seems under normal circumstances the alternator would be able to keep up..
Idling for a half hour at a time with the fans and everything going it was trying to drain the battery. I have it on the charger now but I went off the deep end and order a 95 amp alternator. I'm just not going to play around... I know 318 mentioned this earlier in the thread and I am suspicious that things will be fine once I'm running normal RPMs. These high output alternators don't work until they're up to RPM either...
It was a good test for the cooling system because it did not overheat I did try to creep up close to 200, but again it was under quite the load...

Last edited:
I've always charged through the high side as a liquid. Works well.

....and you're doin a really nice job on this so far. Better than I could I'm sure. I'm gonna find out though, because I want air on the 64 after I put the big block in it.

....and you're doin a really nice job on this so far. Better than I could I'm sure. I'm gonna find out though, because I want air on the 64 after I put the big block in it.
Well so far I'm impressed with what I got for what I paid. If I can get it to perform to its potential I'll be more than happy...

J par get a power master 95amp it will keep you in good stead at idle 14.8 - 13.8 with thermos blasting use one on mine stepped up from a 60amp , with 6 AL sniper and fan volts would drop down to 11. 6 and idle would drop under load @idle with the 95 no issues .

J par get a power master 95amp it will keep you in good stead at idle 14.8 - 13.8 with thermos blasting use one on mine stepped up from a 60amp , with 6 AL sniper and fan volts would drop down to 11. 6 and idle would drop under load @idle with the 95 no issues .
That's what I ordered....:thumbsup:...

For sure I'm only hooking it up to the low side.. I had an idea just to hook it up to my normal recharge nozzle that I use for my truck. But I have the fancy gauges so... I'm thinking of one more can or partial should do it...

It does sound like you just need a bit more refrigerant. Would like to see you get that cold air blowing in the 40s at least.

Did you get it working yet?
:thumbsup:...
IMG_20200727_091708.jpg

VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION HERE! MOST OF THE REST OF THIS THREAD IS JUST GOING TO BE A BUNCH OF CRAP OLA AS IT ALREADY STARTED GOING COMPLETELY OFF THE RAILS.
IF ANYONE NEEDS ANY MORE INFORMATION THAN I'VE GIVEN PLEASE PM ME OR QUOTE ME ON THIS THREAD AND I'LL BE GLAD TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS...
It begins with the last post on this page...

Last edited:
By J Par I think I've got it!!!...
I think the ambient temperature yesterday was messing with me. Again with the engine at 200 degrees and the firewall probably somewhere near that LOL and the windows all open it was only able to suck up the extremely hot heat and put it down to 59 to 61 degrees...
This morning at 76 degrees outside with all the windows closed, it is easley pulled down between 40 and I even seen 37°....
I did run down and grab another can of Freon but I didn't use it. I just wanted to see what it would run like if I just drove the car with the windows closed... I'm going to wait for it to heat up this afternoon it should be in the mid to upper 90s and see how it does then. Also after charging the battery last night and actually driving it I didn't have as much charging issues. It did bounce a little at the stop lights but came back up to 14 when I was driving. I still like the benefit of the new alternator...

Very COOL thread ! ( pun intended). How's the new heads working out ? Are you able to run premium pump gas now? Shut off/ start ups good in the heat?

Very COOL thread ! ( pun intended). How's the new heads working out ? Are you able to run premium pump gas now? Shut off/ start ups good in the heat?
Yes as part of this I got a little run time on some pump gas. I updated the Speedmaster pro Comp thread on the race part of the Forum. Just yesterday...

Awesome work J Par! I enjoyed following you on this great little project.

Awesome work J Par! I enjoyed following you on this great little project.
Thank you!!..
Looks like I started the thread on the 22nd of June and pulled the trigger on the 10th of July and got the kit a week later on the 17th. It looks like now 10 days later in between going to work I've got it blowing cold...:thumbsup:..

If the low side line going into the compressor is sweating, you have enough gas in it.

Edit: I guess I should read my own posts. Gotta love apple spell checking....

Last edited:
Welllll....
98-99 degrees today and I took it out in the very 2 o'clock 3 heat of the day..
AC was blowing out more like 49-51 degrees, but wanted to keep the car tolerable with the windows up. I absolutely need to get some directional vents to get it blowing on me instead of reaching over and feeling the passenger seat cold LOL...
Radiator fan was only able to kick off one time going down a Long tree covered Hill.. well it was over the 190 mark the whole drive it wasn't far past it.. it did get up to what I would think was 200 maybe even 205... But that was in the serious traffic just before I got home...
On the highway with everything going and ruining everything the voltmeter was staying around 13... When I shut the AC off it would slowly make its way back to 14 but I couldn't do that for long it was too hot LOL..
It did make the cab of the car colorable in 99 degree heat that's for sure. I wasn't getting cold but then again I wasn't getting blown directly on either...

I want a super duty...industrial strength AC setup...made for busses and RVs...lol.
Seriously, is there a higher BTU kit? Maybe made for larger vehicles?

Jeff

I want a super duty...industrial strength AC setup...made for busses and RVs...lol.
Seriously, is there a higher BTU kit? Maybe made for larger vehicles?

Jeff
Actually that's what these guys specialize in if you look at the coldmaster site. I believe their bread and butter is doing industrial-sized stuff. Omar the guy you'll catch in the morning on the phone says they sell about 10 or 15 of the set ups that I have or variations per day. And they ship internationally as well... Mine is for a big car and it's the 22,000 + BTU... When the normal car ones are about 13k...
Again this was doing the job very well I mean I have serious are leeks and absolutely no firewall protection whatsoever and I was just fine on a 99 degree day. Had the vents been actually blowing right at me I would have probably been just as cold as my passenger seat lol...

Actually that's what these guys specialize in if you look at the coldmaster site. I believe their bread and butter is doing industrial-sized stuff. Omar the guy you'll catch in the morning on the phone says they sell about 10 or 15 of the set ups that I have or variations per day. And they ship internationally as well... Mine is for a big car and it's the 22,000 + BTU... When the normal car ones are about 13k...
Again this was doing the job very well I mean I have serious are leeks and absolutely no firewall protection whatsoever and I was just fine on a 99 degree day. Had the vents been actually blowing right at me I would have probably been just as cold as my passenger seat lol...
You should make a parts list with prices. Instead of 10 pages to "sift" through, have a single post of the parts and cost of what you did.

-
Back