Boyd Coddington Passed Away

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just came off Moparts. No word as to when and circumstances.

Our car club is going to send a card to the shop expressing our condolences. Maybe someone from this site can send a card on behalf of the site members?

We all had different feelings about Boyd (especially after watching his show) but you cannot take away from his importance and the role he played in shaping the hot rod industry. Here's a big ol' burnout for you Boyd!

We all had different feelings about Boyd (especially after watching his show) but you cannot take away from his importance and the role he played in shaping the hot rod industry. Here's a big ol' burnout for you Boyd!

I was not a fan of the man....but respected his work!

I copied this off of a hot rod blog. Guess maybe what you seen on the TV show might not be what the man was really about.

Hello all,

It is with a heavy heart that I come on here and write this. I just wanted to stop by and thank everyone for their comments and prayers. A friend told me about this forum and I stopped by last night to read all of the posts, and what I seen made me proud to be a hot rodder. Thank you one and all.

Boyd was a great man, not just because of his accomplishments, but, because of what he believed in and did. I was with him for 8 years and seen the man for who he really was, not what was seen on a TV show or a brief encounter. I can tell you all he truly loved hot rods and enjoyed seeing the cars that folks brought to the many shows we attended. Here's a good example of how he felt, we were at a small show for an appearance. Him and Jo were taking a break before heading out to start signing autographs and hadn't had a chance to see the show yet. I had taken a quick walk around to see some of the cars and when I returned he asked how it was. I made the comment that some of the cars really didn't belong in a car show which quickly brought a response from Boyd. He told me " these guys work hard on their cars and they are proud of them, that's what matters, and it is not for us to judge them but to respect them for the hard work and effort it takes." He of course was right and I knew better, just one of those stupid comments we all make sometimes.

I learned a lot from Boyd over these past 8 years and, although I wish I could have more, I thank God I had the time I did. I am proud to have known and worked for the man and feel very blessed and lucky. He is and always will be a legend in our community, and will be deeply missed.

Again, thank you one and all, and I will pass along the wonderful thing you all have said on here to Jo and the rest of the family and folks at the shop. God bless you.

Todd Emmons
Boyd Coddington's Garage

That really sucks, I loved some of the cars he built, the "Whatthehey" was incredible. I never judged him by the show, seems like all the shows are asked to toss some drama into it. What a shock.

Wow. Thats ashame. It doesnt matter who he was in his shop, he was still a person and its sad he has passed away. Goodbye Boyd.

I can't beleive it either. Like everyone else, I wasn't a fan of the man (personnality wise), but he was a very good body man with lots of innovations. I worked in body shops and I have seen the "boss's temper" and can relate to the show. A lot of pressure. But again, how much drama can they produce for ratings sake. He will be missed.

On behalf of Dave Layson and the staff and employees here at Layson's, we wish to extend our deepest sympathies to Mr. Coddington's wife, family, and friends in their time of sorrow.

It's a sad day in the hot-rodding world.

Last month I was in California for the 2nd time in my life. I told my wife that the only thing I wanted to do was see Boyd's Garage. I looked it up before going and got directions. The only free day I had was a saturday, and it turns out that it was the one saturday a month they had an open house. The tv show is just for fun, but I admire all those guys and more importantly the work they do. One of the guys gave my wife and I a "behind the scenes" tour and made my entire trip. Boyd was in the hospital in bad shape at that time.
I wish his family, both immediate and extended, peace during this most difficult time.

I send my condolences to all of Boyds' friends & family.... his work will keep him a legend for lifetime's to come.

And if they don't give him a billet aluminum headstone, what a shame....

Boyd was quite a pioneer in a lot of street rod area. His innovation will be truly missed.

That's too bad, he will be missed. I wonder if his illness had anything to do with the buried 1957 Plymouth Belvedere that was unearthed in Tulsa? Several members of his crew became very sick after working on that piece of toxic waste.......

The show Im sure was all staged there is no way anyone could build what he built if he really acted the way he did. He will be missed

New news to me to!!
I do agree that we should find a way to get a condolences to his shop and the family, I have never seen his show , But I know he was a great man that has dun a great part in the development of our hobby.

My condolences to his co worker, friends and family.

63 is young nowadays. Terribly sorry to hear this news.

The Hot Rodding community has lost a true visionary and a real talent (even if he did come off as a pompous you know what on his show). His designs have inspired many - either directly or indirectly. A lot of what we do on our Mopars today has it's roots in what came out of man's head. I am sure someday there will be a Coddington Award given out each year that will be as prestigious as the Riddler Award.

Prayers for all of his family, friends, and employees

What a great loss to the Hot Rodding community. It really makes me sad to see such a devoted man as he was to the car hobby and collecting be taken at what is really a young age. He will be missed but will live on in his work. God Bless his family.

My hats off to the man . I wish i had half his creativity. now von dutch can do his pinstriping. we,re assembling quite a crew up there, The hot Rod world lost an icon. condolences go out to the family.

-
Back