broken pushrod question... newbie

-

RyanAero

Reaction score
Woke my engine up after a long slumber. While trying to time it I found the number three cylinder dead. Pulled the rocker box covers and found a broken pushrod on number three intake. Then I noticed all the other pushrods we're not centered In their bore. The last knucklehead installed all the rocker arms in the wrong places.

Can I change all the pushrods without taking off the heads. Is it possible to bleed the lifters down while they are installed? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated
IMG_1910.JPG

Yep, out with the old in with the new. But fix the rockers first.

The 273 commando in my 65 barracuda formula S wouldn't idle just right when I first got it home. I removed the valve covers and found the number five cylinder had a broken push rod and number seven had two bent push rods. Never found any reason why. Replaced all of the push rods and the motor ran great.
Remove the valve covers and you should be able to remove the push rods. Go ahead and replace all of them. They are not expensive at all.

when tightening the rockers down, make sure the pushrods are in the lifter seats. also start in the middle and work your way out torquing in 3 stages so you dont tweak anything.

Caution
your FSM might list the torque wrongly on these bolts.
My FSM says they are 3/8-16 and 30 ftlbs torque.I'm pretty sure that's wrong!
I think those bolts are 5/16 NC, and the torque is something like 15ftpounds and change. So check it out!

Caution
your FSM might list the torque wrongly on these bolts.
My FSM says they are 3/8-16 and 30 ftlbs torque.I'm pretty sure that's wrong!
I think those bolts are 5/16 NC, and the torque is something like 15ftpounds and change. So check it out!
....whats this FSM???

Thanks for all the great input. Looking down the valley it appears I have hydraulic lifters. I also think I have J heads. Gonna try and measure old pushrods to see what length they are.

There are no spacers between rockers. Is that normal. Do they ride on each other.

Will the lifters self adjust to the new pushrods? Or do I need to bleed them?

On the rocker shaft that you show, the curved washers under the front rocker shaft bolt is in the wrong place. The longest curved washers should be under the 2nd and 4th rocker shaft bolts. And the 2 front rockers look to be swapped around. No spacers.
FSM time for sure. And yes, AJ, 18 ft-lbs torque max on the rocker shaft bolts.

that's what I thought. Whoever was into this before you, was not Mopar familiar and didn't know what he was doing. I think I'd keep looking closely for more mistakes, until I found something previous "wrench" didn't touch because it's not screwed-up.

That pushrod seems broke where it was rubbing on the head. Absolutely something is out of alignment also there is I believe correct intake and exhaust configurations on those rockers so if they're not in their proper position? And also like mention the spacers have to be in the correct position. We already knew that they were hydraulic lifters because you don't have adjustable rockers. Something has to adjust and in your case it's the hydraulic lifters. if you had solid lifters you would have the adjustment available on the rocker.

-
Back