Cheap headers...

-
Well total garbage! Have the label getting sent to me to send them back...
I could tell by the looks of the box it wasn't going to be good... It looks like they tie the rope to the box and drug it here from Ohio... And of course when I open them up they were scratched to heck, right there on that long tube on the driver side that everybody sees... The Collector flanges were not welded and the head flanges did not have machined welds around them.. the quality seem to suck hard... I'm just going to get a refund and rethink what I'm going to do...

Also no dimples by where the bolts go in..
Dougs D453 ….…

Dougs D453 ….…
The Patriots look very similar to the Doug’s I have, numbers stamping and all, just thinner tubing and flanges. And Dougs fall under the same Pertonix umbrella I believe.

The Patriots look very similar to the Doug’s I have, numbers stamping and all, just thinner tubing and flanges. And Doigs fall under the same Pertonix umbrella I believe.
not for A-bodies.. totally different. Patriots are like all the cheapies. Under center link, tube up on the 5 & 7 plugs.... not even close to the same

not for A-bodies.. totally different. Patriots are like all the cheapies. Under center link, tube up on the 5 & 7 plugs.... not even close to the same
Ah yes, I see. I was referring to the number stampings, welds and thinner materials.

Well total garbage! Have the label getting sent to me to send them back...
I could tell by the looks of the box it wasn't going to be good... It looks like they tie the rope to the box and drug it here from Ohio... And of course when I open them up they were scratched to heck, right there on that long tube on the driver side that everybody sees... The Collector flanges were not welded and the head flanges did not have machined welds around them.. the quality seem to suck hard... I'm just going to get a refund and rethink what I'm going to do...
That's what you get for buying shiny stuff lol, no really that sucks. You should just get your headers coated, at least you know for sure they fit. I had cheap hedmans on a dart and they got flattened so I bought a set of summit/flotech headers and they were slightly different and would not bolt up to the exhaust system. Its a crap shoot with changing brand of headers.

That's what you get for buying shiny stuff lol, no really that sucks. You should just get your headers coated, at least you know for sure they fit. I had cheap hedmans on a dart and they got flattened so I bought a set of summit/flotech headers and they were slightly different and would not bolt up to the exhaust system. Its a crap shoot with changing brand of headers.
Yeah I'm going back to plan A and just buying a $12 can of black silicone spray and repaint them...

No pictures for future reference for future header shoppers? :(
Sorry I've been working all day on that truck project and just got back to the forum here.. without dragging them back out there just as I described. The Collector flange is not welded it's just a loose flange.. the flanges that mate up to the heads don't have the machined welds to seal.. the scratches were terrible going across that tube on the driver side that crosses the 5 7 plug and on the curve of the number one plug as well.. the supposed premium gaskets or just thin cheap junk... it's just hard to take pictures through the bubble wrap and I'm not taking them out I'm just sending them back..

Sorry I've been working all day on that truck project and just got back to the forum here.. without dragging them back out there just as I described. The Collector flange is not welded it's just a loose flange.. the flanges that mate up to the heads don't have the machined welds to seal.. the scratches were terrible going across that tube on the driver side that crosses the 5 7 plug and on the curve of the number one plug as well.. the supposed premium gaskets or just thin cheap junk... it's just hard to take pictures through the bubble wrap and I'm not taking them out I'm just sending them back..
I believe those types of headers copied the hedman/cyclone style of headers, but I still believe Hedman have better quality.

No pictures for future reference for future header shoppers? :(
Actually here is some pictures... I opened the box again and it looks like you can pull off the bubble wrap..
I guess that's the installation kit they're talking about LOL...
IMG_20191228_181920.jpg
IMG_20191228_181705.jpg
IMG_20191228_182204.jpg
IMG_20191228_182227.jpg

I believe those types of headers copied the hedman/cyclone style of headers, but I still believe Hedman have better quality.
they actually did have a thicker flange but I believe likely everybody is doing that now and without the machined weld around the ports I don't see the point..

The ports and collector flange look serviceable to me. They are scratched up but I don’t understand what you are complaining about on the flanges. Looks like there is enough surface to seal. They are welded inside the flange. What do you expect to be machined?

The ports and collector flange look serviceable to me. They are scratched up but I don’t understand what you are complaining about on the flanges. Looks like there is enough surface to seal. They are welded inside the flange. What do you expect to be machined?

Yeah, the flat flange will seal better than that raised edge. So that doesn't bother me.

The only header I know that has a welded ring is Hooker. Everything else is loose. Except maybe TTI.

And that doesn't bother me either.

What bothers me is those headers look like they were installed, several times and then sent back.

That's would piss me off. There is no way I'd have accepted that either. Summit or Jegs or whoever sent those out ought to be ashamed.

So funny questioning me is easy but questioning a guru is a whole nother story LOL...
If you look at post 35 you can see the collectors are welded on not a slip ring.. and post 38 you can see there's no massive scratches all over the number 3 tube as it crosses over the 5-7 plug area...
I think post 81 has a picture of the welds that I'm talking about around the flanges that mate up to the head that are machined flat to give a good seal... I wasn't talking about the welds on the inside... And finally post 85 shows the dimples in pipes to clear the the bolt area...
My cheap Summit headers are actually better quality and have lasted for 5 years...
You really don't see anything wrong with these and I should keep them?...
IMG_20191228_181920.jpg

Yeah, floating flange gasket is common (prefered as you can clock the hard exhaust pipe or the bolts if the exhaust is floating too), and the welds inside the pipes are easier to do than exterior welds. Id stay with the flat flanges over the lame "O-ring" flanges any day. Scratches are no good but other than that........? Those 3 days on the dock were probably in the "beat to ****" pile on receiving. And a 'new' part should not have rust on it already.

I took several pictures of the Box before I opened it.. there was damn near more tape than Box by the time they got here..
I thought the raised machine welds on my current headers seem to serve me well maybe I just don't have any experience without them and I'm not confident..
If they weren't all scratch the hell I may have thought about it but there's other areas that just look poor quality... Especially compared to the set the other member got on this thread...

Yeah, the flat flange will seal better than that raised edge. So that doesn't bother me.

The only header I know that has a welded ring is Hooker. Everything else is loose. Except maybe TTI.

And that doesn't bother me either.

What bothers me is those headers look like they were installed, several times and then sent back.

That's would piss me off. There is no way I'd have accepted that either. Summit or Jegs or whoever sent those out ought to be ashamed.
I can't understand why they don't put a little bit of Styrofoam around the ends? It just doesn't make any sense that thin bubble wrap is going to save them...

I took several pictures of the Box before I opened it.. there was damn near more tape than Box by the time they got here..
I thought the raised machine welds on my current headers seem to serve me well maybe I just don't have any experience without them and I'm not confident..
If they weren't all scratch the hell I may have thought about it but there's other areas that just look poor quality... Especially compared to the set the other member got on this thread...

Yeah, I forgot they were supposed to look like the other headers.

I'm wondering if a set didn't get sent back that is the same style of header but a different brand and someone just stuffed them back into a box and sent them out?

May be worth it to have the send a second set sent and see what you get. It may be someone just screwed up on a return and you got it.

Just spit balling....

So funny questioning me is easy but questioning a guru is a whole nother story LOL...
If you look at post 35 you can see the collectors are welded on not a slip ring.. and post 38 you can see there's no massive scratches all over the number 3 tube as it crosses over the 5-7 plug area...
I think post 81 has a picture of the welds that I'm talking about around the flanges that mate up to the head that are machined flat to give a good seal... I wasn't talking about the welds on the inside... And finally post 85 shows the dimples in pipes to clear the the bolt area...
My cheap Summit headers are actually better quality and have lasted for 5 years...
View attachment 1715444473
Those are not the same headers I got from jegs. I agree with yr those headers were sent back by someone.

View attachment 1715444473

I don’t know what guru you refer to. Other than the scratches all I see are features common to many less expensive headers on the market. That is the subject of this thread is it not? Mime are similar and work fine. Complaining about design execution on cheap Chinese headers seems to be a waste of time. They are damaged so you have a beef with that but what do you expect from a jc Whitney level supplier on the internet?

I don’t know what guru you refer to. Other than the scratches all I see are features common to many less expensive headers on the market. That is the subject of this thread is it not? Mime are similar and work fine. Complaining about design execution on cheap Chinese headers seems to be a waste of time. They are damaged so you have a beef with that but what do you expect from a jc Whitney level supplier on the internet?
I'm expecting the same ones that I seen in the post that I referred to just like the other member got no less no more...

Yeah, I forgot they were supposed to look like the other headers.

I'm wondering if a set didn't get sent back that is the same style of header but a different brand and someone just stuffed them back into a box and sent them out?

May be worth it to have the send a second set sent and see what you get. It may be someone just screwed up on a return and you got it.

Just spit balling....
Of course I called them again just a minute ago and everyone's out for the weekend that can look stuff up or make decisions. They did say they can polish set and look at them... so I'll give another call on Monday and see what's going on.. if I got some cheap copies of what I'm supposed to get or what...

-
Back