David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
You Guys that are nocking this build need to broaden your horizons! We do not all live in the US of A that you can buy cheap parts at a drop of the hat. Think of some of these third world countries where a fellow will spend a week of labour on a part that you guys can buy for about fifty bucks. Here in Australia whatever the cost in US dollars a part is with conversion rates, taxes and freight costs the part becomes more than double! I myself would not do as these fellows are about to do but I find it very interesting to watch and maybe I can just pick up a few pointers on some of the things they do!

I just noticed the guy that said maybe we should do a slant six build!
In Australia we have the excellent 265 Hemi Six and slant sixes are still plentifull.
Nobody modifies slant sixes as they just go to a Hemi six as they are capable of making twice the power for very moderate cost as performance parts for these motors are becoming more available all the time.
Stroker cranks are being produced, alloy heads are available as are roller bearing camshafts etc.
N/A aspirated engines are making north of six hundred HP and turbo engines are making over one thousand HP.
Combine that with the Ford barra turbo engines and we do show a special love fir our six cylinder engines!

In Australia we have the excellent 265 Hemi Six and slant sixes are still plentifull.
Nobody modifies slant sixes as they just go to a Hemi six as they are capable of making twice the power for very moderate cost as performance parts for these motors are becoming more available all the time.
Stroker cranks are being produced, alloy heads are available as are roller bearing camshafts etc.
N/A aspirated engines are making north of six hundred HP and turbo engines are making over one thousand HP.
Combine that with the Ford barra turbo engines and we do show a special love fir our six cylinder engines!
No disrespect to the /6 guys but it got to be one of the worst engines to do up :)

But try finding a 360 block. People are starting to ask for stupid money for 318 blocks now when you could pick up a virgin bore 318 for $100. I have a 360 block at the machinists that just got bored 30 over but he cant be bothered to hone and deck it but said he could find a buyer for it @ 3K. WTF!

Don't tell them what they do with 308's NA they wouldn't believe you.

You guys need to design or modify a real Hemi head for your 6's. :poke: :lol: Intake on one side, exhaust on the other.

My brother has about ten 360 bare blocks but for some reason he is just sitting on them maybe to get gold prices for them later on ?

RustyRadRod here on our FABO site has a nice custom slant 6 in his early A Body. Like that one a lot.

When it comes to sixers, you Ausies get all the cool stuff :)

My brother has about ten 360 bare blocks but for some reason he is just sitting on them maybe to get gold prices for them later on ?

Yep, hes on a gold mine.
Saw a 360 for sale a few weeks back - stock runner with an edelbrock performer manifold and 600cfm edelbrock carb - guy wanted $5,500 for it:wtf:.
Complete 318 cores go for around $1,500 now and the last 340 I saw for sale must have been about 10 years ago.

Yep, hes on a gold mine.
Saw a 360 for sale a few weeks back - stock runner with an edelbrock performer manifold and 600cfm edelbrock carb - guy wanted $5,500 for it:wtf:.
Complete 318 cores go for around $1,500 now and the last 340 I saw for sale must have been about 10 years ago.
I just paid $500 for a complete 360 core, $600 a few weeks ago for a good running 318 (stock except for a Performer intake but no carb) that came with a working 904 and converter.

I did not loose any ET going from an LD intake, to this sorry looking one, engine just runs better with this one.
Now this is interesting. Tell us more. Any change in the mph?
Is this on the 273 tock eliminator in your signature?
Did you do anything to the factory iron intake? some spacers under the carb?

I can get 318's and 360's all day long between 150 - 500 that were running.

Ok. So why start with a head that has small valves and ports?

They could have used a 360 head, spent the money for a GOOD valve job and then spent an hour fluffing and buffing the head and then send it.

Charlie has how many tests on those heads? I guarantee you Charlie isn’t charging them for the work. Or at least not the full bore rate.

I don’t get the waste of time and money to try and prove you can buff a turd.
They used what they had. Could have, would have, makes no sense. What they have now, makes sense.

I can get 318's and 360's all day long between 150 - 500 that were running.
Where I live sucks for anything "vintage". All the good junkyards were closed down awhile ago for "redevelopment". Still a few left but they only have late model stuff.

I missed out simply because I don't have a place to store extra engines. A Mopar friend passed away that had a salvage yard. He had racks to the ceiling filled with small blocks, a few old Hemi's and some slant 6's. The engines wer pulled and included all accessories, belts, brackets, manifolds and the like. $500 each, your choice. Some guy came with a flat bed semi and loaded up and there were still dozens left. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

They used what they had. Could have, would have, makes no sense. What they have now, makes sense.
They didn't have ****, or any idea about this moving goalpost shitshow till some magazine writer reject got them suckered into building a 318 turd for "veiws" and "clicks"

Now this is interesting. Tell us more. Any change in the mph?
Is this on the 273 tock eliminator in your signature?
Did you do anything to the factory iron intake? some spacers under the carb?
Yes this is on my 273, i am aloud a 1/4 inch gasket i can 2 of them, i have gotten the car to run its best ET with the stock intake.

I’m going to have to count my 360’s one of these days. I know my days of finding them bare for 50.00 appear to be long gone. But I’m still at the point of even turning down free 318’s.

I’m going to have to count my 360’s one of these days. I know my days of finding them bare for 50.00 appear to be long gone. But I’m still at the point of even turning down free 318’s.
I know where there is a complete 360 with a spun rod bearing for $100, guess I need to pick it up. I don't need any 318's.

there is a complete 360 4bbl (minus carb) from a mid 80's truck for 350.00 I thought about it but so far it's been a "no"

Yes this is on my 273, i am aloud a 1/4 inch gasket i can 2 of them, i have gotten the car to run its best ET with the stock intake.
Are the ports smaller on the single plane than the LD manifold?

They didn't have ****, or any idea about this moving goalpost shitshow till some magazine writer reject got them suckered into building a 318 turd for "veiws" and "clicks"
This isn't about building the best whatever, it's about building what they have in front of them. Some people have this engine and are interested in it. If it doesn't pertain to you, move on, hence the "he should have done that and this" junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back