Dead cylinder on new engine ( what in the he// happened? )

-
"HEY Where the white women at" Boy, I haven't heard that in a long time. Used to yell that when I walked into high school parties. No wonder I never had much luck with the ladies back then. I'm cooler now though.

You have compression, so the cylinder is sealed. You say you have spark, now it's up to the fuel. Look for a bad intake gasket, it might be leaking on #6 intake.

So you have spark and compression then apparently.

Did you try a different plug in that cyl yet?
It's pretty easy to crack the porcelain on a plug.

(Eddie carb?) plug in the back of it?
Brake booster hose on?

Just throwing possibilities for a back cylinder looking like it never ran.

Turned the engine over with the plug out and I could see it sparking.

A internal defect in that wire? It may have shown some spark, but it's not under compression then. You could try a resistance test on it, but it's easier to just swap the complete wire to another cylinder that the length will work on and see if the miss changes to that cylinder.

Just looking for something that's easy to try...:D

A internal defect in that wire? It may have shown some spark, but it's not under compression then. You could try a resistance test on it, but it's easier to just swap the complete wire to another cylinder that the length will work on and see if the miss changes to that cylinder.

Just looking for something that's easy to try...:D

X2. Try a different plug AND wire. Plugs can "eff up" inside as well

Would it be possible that the msd box is doing something crazy?

So you have spark and compression then apparently.

Did you try a different plug in that cyl yet?
It's pretty easy to crack the porcelain on a plug.

(Eddie carb?) plug in the back of it?
Brake booster hose on?

Just throwing possibilities for a back cylinder looking like it never ran.

No booster. Intake is 6 pack.

If you have compression and fuel and spark it should be making power in that cylinder, try hooking a vacuum gauge to a port on the intake manifold and see if the needle is steady or is it jumping up and down. If it's stead you have no mechanical defects but if it is jumping around say 10-18 inches of vacuum there is a mechanical problem it maybe a wiped cam lobe you need to remove the valve cover and crank the engine over with the ignition disabled and watch the rockers move and if the rockers are not moving the same look at cam or bent push rod. Good Luck

Now that the valves are closing, make sure they are actually opening.

Just a thought, a while back there was a thread on here that stretched into countless pages with the same issue. It turned out the intake had a crack in it. Strangely enough, I think it was the same cylinder too. I can't find the thread now.

Is it possible yours is cracked or leaking somewhere?

If no fuel is getting into the cylinder pull the intake off and check it over for a crack , bad gasket, or something obstructing the passage way.

If no fuel is getting into the cylinder pull the intake off and check it over for a crack , bad gasket, or something obstructing the passage way.

I was just thinking about that earlier. I may turn the engine until the intake valve opens and blow some air in through the carb and see if I can hear or feel anything. If not then I will pull the intake.

Just a thought, a while back there was a thread on here that stretched into countless pages with the same issue. It turned out the intake had a crack in it. Strangely enough, I think it was the same cylinder too. I can't find the thread now.

Is it possible yours is cracked or leaking somewhere?

I will look into this.

I was just thinking about that earlier. I may turn the engine until the intake valve opens and blow some air in through the carb and see if I can hear or feel anything. If not then I will pull the intake.
You never know. When you had it apart and the intake set aside some furry little beast could have built a nest in the passage of the intake. It doesn't take them long to do it.

I pulled my radiator hoses off and forgot to replace them. It sat for awhile that way. I decided to pull it to check it over and heard some thing rolling around in it, it was nut shells. One of those little bastards got in there.
So I flushed it out. Guess what else I found the dead dried up mouse. The radiator will need to be re-cored or replaced anyway. It has some damage to it but it will be awhile.
Thought you might get a kick out of that little story.

Hope you get it resolved soon. I know how things like that get frustrating.

Tom

I think you fellas are on to something. I think I may have a problem with the intake sealing at that cylinder.

loosen all the intake bolts and re torque the intake again.this is a big problem on brand x stuff and they have the same intake layout as mopar.

loosen all the intake bolts and re torque the intake again.this is a big problem on brand x stuff and they have the same intake layout as mopar.

I will try that. The bolts at that intake runner are hard to tighten because of the coil bracket on the six pack intake. I may have to modify a tool to get in there so I can really tighten it.

-
Back