Dead cylinder on new engine ( what in the he// happened? )

-
what box (in your wiring harness) do you have, because if your car was originally a slant 6 itll fire only on 6, i made this mistake, check the brain for say make sure its a 8 cylinder 1!! somebody will get you the right answer here, these guys on this board are sharp as hell!!!!

Um, sorry.
Ignition boxes can't count.
They fire when the box is triggered, that's it.

Are you running the six pack like in the photobucket pictures?

Why is the vent for the center carb hooked up to intake manifold vacuum? It should vent to atmospheric pressure, not vacuum.

Um, sorry.
Ignition boxes can't count.
They fire when the box is triggered, that's it.

THIS is true. There is no 6 and 8 "box." The distributor is what "does" that

Why is the vent for the center carb hooked up to intake manifold vacuum? It should vent to atmospheric pressure, not vacuum.

HOLY CRAP you gotta good eye. And look at that PCV layin' over there not hooked up...............but it may have been changed in the other photos?

268100f2-6ce3-4e6e-8a48-19a6d28a17f9_zps6bc11e75.jpg

Also notice in that picture that there are no intake bolts or thermostat housing installed yet. Lol

That hose was looped there to keep the tubes closed off until installation was done.

THIS is true. There is no 6 and 8 "box." The distributor is what "does" that

HOLY CRAP you gotta good eye. And look at that PCV layin' over there not hooked up...............but it may have been changed in the other photos?

268100f2-6ce3-4e6e-8a48-19a6d28a17f9_zps6bc11e75.jpg

Some things just jump out at you. I saw it in this picture:

View attachment Six Pak A07.jpg

Now you got me looking at the PCV,

Duster360: I see that the valve covers are not secured also. Most of the stock engines have the PCV on the passenger side valve cover and breather on the driver's side. You may want to see if the one with the breather cap (oil fill) does not interfere the the master cylinder and maybe switch the valve covers to the other sides. then you will need a much shorter piece of hose to hook up the PCV. Otherwise keep them the way that you have them. It can get really tight really fast with a six pack to work around....

Got it covered already. I have the old school M/T covers now and the pcv is on the passenger side rear and has a breather/oil filler cap on the front hole of each cover.

I have the intake back on the engine and will be ready to fire it up sunday. I will be busy with the family until then.

Still got a misfire on the same cylinder. Could be these gaskets aren't sealing either, not sure. Still seems like no fuel in that cylinder is the reason I say that. I am going to call my machinist/engine builder/long time drag racer Monday and pick his brain a little and see what I can come up with. Everyone still feel free to chime in on this subject. I am out of my expertise here. I can fix it when I figure out what the problem is. But that is the whole problem isn't it, I can't seem to diagnose it.

This may not be/probably isn't the issue, but did you use non hardening thread sealant on the intake bolts?

Maybe like someone said a crack in the intake?? Sucks, I was hoping ya got it solved!If you take intake off maybe warm it up in oven to expose crack??
Did you check angles on intake and on heads to see that they match??

Maybe like someone said a crack in the intake?? Sucks, I was hoping ya got it solved!If you take intake off maybe warm it up in oven to expose crack??
Did you check angles on intake and on heads to see that they match??

I didn't see a crack. No on checking the angles. I assumed the .020" thicker gaskets would solve my problem.

I didn't see a crack. No on checking the angles. I assumed the .020" thicker gaskets would solve my problem.

Maybe check with a magnifying glass?? I thought heat might open it up a bit if its a small one. Im lost.....just throwin turds at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Have you tried replacing the distributor cap ?

also is the center carb working ok ?

Carb is working fine. I close the jets on the metering block one at a time and it will shut the engine off from either side. Everything is new.

put your old 4brl intake back on and try it that will tale you if its intake or not

-
Back