Deployed since May, need some advice

-

buffoni88

Reaction score
So, I've been on a bit of a hiatus from this site. Back in August my family and I got moved from Georgia to Delaware, bought a house, now we're separated with a pending divorce. Then in May my command decided to deploy me in the middle of the divorce, ever so kindly asking me "Well, can you put it on hold for 6 months?" Soooo, here I am, almost ready to go home finally! Ok, that's all completely unrelated to my original reason to this post. I have a bit of a predicament. I have a huge intake manifold leak coming from the intake/head mating surface. When I put the manifold on about a year ago, the threads were worn out, so I figured I'd go ahead and heli-coiled all of them, which was a huge mistake. :eek:ops: They somehow went in crooked, didn't align right..blahblah. So now I'm wondering, if this happened to you, what would you do? Would you remove the heads, get the holes filled and re-tapped? Would you just replace the heads, since they're 40 years old anyways? I found a site a while back that had stock replacements for around $400 if I remember correctly.

Get new heads. Who would remove them and not have them freshened up? That plus the cost of having the bolt holes fixed and you are on your way to some more heads. Aeroheads sells 340 heads ready to go for 499 a pair.

Aeroheads...thank you! Couldn't remember where I saw them. Probably just going to order them so they're ready when I get home next month

You didn't say what model/engine. Good used heads are out there for most of them.

If aero heads were the only place I could mopar heads, I'd stuff a 350 in my car. I've got over $900 in my $499 aeroheads after the extra machine work they needed from those hacks. RUN FOREST.....RUN....... find another place to buy heads.

I actually just looked up reviews for them, they were VERY mixed. Some really positive, some absolutely horrible, such as yours

Thank you for your service. And sorry to hear about the issues at home. I hope it all works out in the end.

I have a used set of J-heads that came off of a low compression '73 340 that are sitting on my workbench at home. They have 73cc combustion chambers, the larger 2.02" intake valves, and 1.60" exhaust valves. They also have aftermarket springs with dampers (beehive springs, I believe) that were run with a Mopar Purpleshaft cam.

If you're interested (and if somebody else can help confirm that the 73cc combustion chambers will work fine with your application), maybe we can work out a deal to save you some $$.

Just wanted to throw the offer out there. New heads for $500 is a good deal too.

Thanks again.

-Mike

Thank you for your service. And sorry to hear about the issues at home. I hope it all works out in the end.

I have a used set of J-heads that came off of a low compression '73 340 that are sitting on my workbench at home. They have 73cc combustion chambers, 1.60" intake valves, and the larger 2.02" exhaust valves. They also have aftermarket springs with dampers (beehive springs, I believe) that were run with a Mopar Purpleshaft cam.

If you're interested (and if somebody else can help confirm that the 73cc combustion chambers will work fine with your application), maybe we can work out a deal to save you some $$.

Just wanted to throw the offer out there. New heads for $500 is a good deal too.

Thanks again.

-Mike

Mike, it might be that you have 2.02" intake valves and 1.60" exhaust valves, just for your info.!!

Buffoni88, Thank You for your service and I hope you get the car running and life at home in order!!!

Wow, good call nothingbutdarts lol. Must've been too early in the morning for me.
Corrected it now, all set.

-Mike

Hello all.

I was recently contacted by Buffoni88 regarding the heads that I had but I wanted to help him by seeking advice here (in his thread).
He is asking if the 73cc heads that I have will fit his 318 well. I do not know what the stock combustion chamber size is on 318 heads, so I wanted to check with some other members here to see if you guys had any additional information. I'd like to help him out with good deal on some heads, but I don't want to sell him parts that won't work with his combo.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

-Mike

FJ5

More importantly, thanks for your service and sorry to hear of trouble on the home front-keep the faith brother!!! And God bless!

I never really know what to say when someone thanks me for my service...it's my honor to serve this contry. Although I don't agree with the war we're fighting or the way the government is being run right now, I still keep doing what I do, and still love it. Sticking epoxy over a fuel leak, or crawling inside the wing to change out faulty components..I love it. Did you know the wings on an aircraft are actually huge fuel tanks, with fuel boost pumps, manifolds, check valves, shutoff valves, amongst many, many other things?

Anyway, any information regarding 73 swinger's question would be much appreciated. By the way, thank you for posting the question in the first place. I meant to, it's just getting to crunch time for me to go home and I'm busy taking care of last minute things before I head back to the good ol states.

If you bolt 360 heads on a 318 it will lower your compression about 1.2 points.

I ran a combination many years ago with a 72 318 short block with 10.5:1 pistons and 318 heads and had issues with preignition due to the high compression. I then put a set of 77 360 heads on and that brought my compression down to 9.2:1. It was then able to run on pump gas with no problems.

If you are going to use 360 heads, you may want to install a set of 10.5:1 pistons to bring the compression to 9.2:1 which is good.

Or have a set of 318 heads ported and install 1.88 or even 2.02 valves on the intake and 1.6 in the exhaust. Then you will have your stock compression back and improved flow.

318 heads are cheap here you can get a set for less then a 150 bucks done all the time sometimes less but if you will pull your heads and send them to me I will fix them and send them back for just the shipping THANK YOU for what you do!!!

I never really know what to say when someone thanks me for my service...it's my honor to serve this contry.

And there's your answer. Just say, "Thank you, it's my honor to serve."
Oh, and thank you for your service. I hope all is well when you return home.

318 heads are cheap here you can get a set for less then a 150 bucks done all the time sometimes less but if you will pull your heads and send them to me I will fix them and send them back for just the shipping THANK YOU for what you do!!!
theres a hellacious offer that you would be crazy to turn down

I was going to say - I don't think the best approach is 340 heads. That beign said - I don't have any but does anybody else have a set of base 318 heads off a runner we could send him? I have a set of Magnum cores but they'd require more parts to change. My best friend is still deployed ("the sandbox") and the affects on family are hard. Coupled with the divorce I'd say a good thing could be done here for a service member. I'll even offer to split shipping with someone.

Wow, you all are amazing. I think what I'm going to do first is pull the heads, bring them to a machinist and see what he can do/how much he would charge to get them repaired. I've been tinkering with so many different ideas lately it's been driving me crazy. Other than this issue with the threads, the engine is still very strong and I'm not necessarily looking to make it anything extremely aggressive. I'll bring this thread back from the grave once I get home and let everybody know my decision. Thank you all for your support and outrageously kind gestures, you have no idea how much it is appreciated to have so much support.

I have a pair of '76, 318 heads I just pulled off an engine. All the bolt holes are fine and the engine had 125 135 psi on every hole. They should be gone through but won't need any thread repairs. I will get photos and casting #s momentarily. They may be runnable as is, but ???? You can have them for the shipping if you want them! I am going another route with some 340 heads on my 318. As well, thank you for your commitment and service!
We are lucky to have people like you who give themselves for us! :cheers:
Larry

We could all get together and help with shipping and machining or what have you! I will crate or palletize as necessary.
Larry

I never really know what to say when someone thanks me for my service

You tell 'em what I tell 'em...glad to be here, proud to serve

Sticking epoxy over a fuel leak, or crawling inside the wing to change out faulty components..I love it. Did you know the wings on an aircraft are actually huge fuel tanks, with fuel boost pumps, manifolds, check valves, shutoff valves, amongst many, many other things?

Poor bastard fuel cell guy...on C5s no less....goo. I'm sure the integral tanks on those are like small apartments. I know TK4 on B-1s is big enough to have dinner in.

-
Back