fm3 coded 340 auto duster resto...............

-
my mig does use gas, but i run without, as i get better welds. many may say this is not true, but each their own.. for the chrome, i use duplicolor fake chrome, then when the entire bezel is done, i clearcoat it with urethane enamal.

the woodgrain is the origional that take alot of time to get off without bending all up!!!!!!!
if i told you the secret, i would have to kill ya!!!!!!
nah, i just take ahome made putty knife that i bent into like 4 different directions, and just take my time and peel it

my mig does use gas, but i run without, as i get better welds. many may say this is not true, but each their own.. for the chrome, i use duplicolor fake chrome, then when the entire bezel is done, i clearcoat it with urethane enamal.

the woodgrain is the origional that take alot of time to get off without bending all up!!!!!!!
if i told you the secret, i would have to kill ya!!!!!!
nah, i just take ahome made putty knife that i bent into like 4 different directions, and just take my time and peel it

Picture of you putty knife. So we can see the bends?

ill get a puic tommorow vr!. here is all the parts i did tonight. took me like 1.5 hrs to do. great end result though.lol

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 673
So what kind of wire do you use? I have a flux core mig. Just learning some basic welding at the moment. I guess what I need to know is, can I use regular wire like you and get the same results?

dang joe...you been a busy boy.looks good tho,makes me want to get on some of my projects.

So what kind of wire do you use? I have a flux core mig. Just learning some basic welding at the moment. I guess what I need to know is, can I use regular wire like you and get the same results?

i use the .030 flux wire. if you use regular wire witout the flux, you have to run the gas.

dang joe...you been a busy boy.looks good tho,makes me want to get on some of my projects.

hey, set up the grill, ill bring the old lady and kids, and the both of us can tackle that nice demon you got sitting there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey, set up the grill, ill bring the old lady and kids, and the both of us can tackle that nice demon you got sitting there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im driving the green one now.....its a blast!

ahhhhh, nice, i am going to have to get one of these done, so we can go blasting together.lmao take care mike, and have a nice holiday if i do not see you before then. plot

Looking awesome! Nice job on the dash and cluster! Wish I had a media blaster, would take a lot less time than wire wheeling everything haha

ahhhhh, nice, i am going to have to get one of these done, so we can go blasting together.lmao take care mike, and have a nice holiday if i do not see you before then. plot

thanks joe,you to.we can still break out the grill....i have other cars we can work upon...

Alot of people say using flux migs instead shielding gas ones is a bad way to go. You are the first to say otherwize. Cool my welder will be just fine.

I agree that some flux wire welds can come out looking nice.

and do just as good of a job depending on the material your welding. The biggest difference you might see is that flux cored puts off a bit more weld spatter.

On my craftsman 110 mig I use .025 steel wire (thinner the wire the better for sheet metal work) and I run a mix of 75/25 on gas and you really need to know how to tune in your heat and speed and technique.

But like plot, I have done tons of welding with flux core and had pretty good luck.

P.S. plot, good work! ....also ,is the laminated wood grain just on the rally dash's? or did they use it on the standard dash's aswell?. I was under the impression it was a grain pattern molded into the plastic gauge face and the wood color was painted on or something? learn something new all the time lol.

on yours did you repaint the wood grain laminate? or did it just clean up that well?

no, i never even cleaned it!. just took it off before redoing the face,a nd reglued it back on. not even a wipe down!

no, i never even cleaned it!. just took it off before redoing the face,a nd reglued it back on. not even a wipe down!

Im actually really glad with this little nugget of information. Been wanting to replace the wood grain on my dash with something a little more modern looking, now I know I can pull it off :) I'm with cliff, would be interesting to see your bent up putty knife you made for the job.

well, after spending the day with the kids, i went out and finished cutting out floorpan to put it in pinky. i media blasted it, cut to fit it.
then spot welded the thing in, and just got done doing ful welds. i still need to grind down the welds, and fill in the spot welds that hold the floor to the frame rail.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 596
  • 004.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 569
  • 005.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 587
well, not much done today. i fixed all the cracks in the stock valiant grille, and sanded them out. just waiting for my argent paint to come in.

also, one of my doors had pin holes up front on the bottom. i could of just filled them, but decided to cut it out!

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 544
  • 004.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 542
  • 003.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 547
  • 002.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 563
  • 001.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 547
well, i have not updated in 6 days!.

i pulled the 69 340 apart, and put new seals, rings, bearings. everything was standard sized.

put heads back on, and got all the stuff painted. just got done media blasting the intake, and just as i got done, it blew a hole through my gloves, so it is down for a week :(
also, i pulled out a sharktooth grille, and i peeled all the bondo off of the cracks, where someone tried to fix it before.
got the 4 speed out, and degreased it!. took me almost 2 hrs from al the dirt on it.

i am having trouble sticking to one area to do on the car. one minute ill be putting the engine back together, then next i am welding, then on to a grille. i need to stay focused!

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 484
  • 019.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 479
  • 020.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 497
  • 021.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 489
  • 022.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 512
:burnout: :cheers: actually hoping to have the car done come spring time!. i was thinking it would actually take me a few years, as money is tight, but all of a sudden, i rounded up a few cars that had most of the parts i needed, like engine,trans,manifold,trim, interior, rear, sure-grip....... i have most minus carpet, tune-up stuff, coil,distributor, electronic ignition swap rims/tires

-
Back