Freeze damage to yer Mopar?

-

Ironracer

Gearhead
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! It don't get cold where I'm at. At all, really. But Tonight, in Tampa Bay, it's gonna be in below Freezing and in the 20s for 7 to 8 hours... should I be worried about my Rides? I don't know if that constitutes a hard freeze or the time is long enough for me to start flipping...

I wouldnt think so, but if you're concerned about engine, run extension cord with trouble light under hood. Enough heat to stop any harm.
Hello, everyone! It don't get cold where I'm at. At all, really. But Tonight, in Tampa Bay, it's gonna be in below Freezing and in the 20s for 7 to 8 hours... should I be worried about my Rides? I don't know if that constitutes a hard freeze or the time is long enough for me to start flipping...

Only thing to be concerned about is the coolant if you've been running straight water. Forgot about that once on a straight six Nova. Got away with it too. It was one cold ride home but didn't nothing broke - sometimes you get lucky.

Only thing to be concerned about is the coolant if you've been running straight water. Forgot about that once on a straight six Nova. Got away with it too. It was one cold ride home but didn't nothing broke - sometimes you get lucky.
I know i have some antifreeze in there, just not much.

Run out to autozone and buy some conventional green concentrate?
Supermarket might still have incandescent bulbs. I see them there. Actually I still use them alot.

I wouldnt think so, but if you're concerned about engine, run extension cord with trouble light under hood. Enough heat to stop any harm.
When I had chickens that is how I kept their water from freezing. I made a box with a lamp socket and just a regular old 40w bulb and sat their water pan on the box. Just enough heat to keep the water from freezing without overheating it.

Run out to autozone and buy some conventional green concentrate?
Supermarket might still have incandescent bulbs. I see them there. Actually I still use them alot.
Had a 1/2 gal o green and found a bulb. I don't think the car will actually get hot enough to open the Stat. Drained a Lil, added bout 1/4 gal, and shook up the rad. The wind trashed my car cover the other week, so I have some blankets I'm gonna try and use. A Lil paranoid, don't wanna burn her down! May use them outside the car

Had a 1/2 gal o green and found a bulb. I don't think the car will actually get hot enough to open the Stat. Drained a Lil, added bout 1/4 gal, and shook up the rad. The wind trashed my car cover the other week, so I have some blankets I'm gonna try and use. A Lil paranoid, don't wanna burn her down! May use them outside the car
It will slush up like a snow cone with a little bit of antifreeze in it so you shouldn’t have any issues.

20220129_183406.jpg

It will be fine.

don’t need the light to worry about a fire.

So loose the light?

Yes.

You've got anti freeze in it and it says only 29 degree low for an hour.

It's got to be low 20's for sustained period of time with no antifreeze.

fill a plastic jug with 100% water outside and in the morning at daybreak there will be nothing more that frost on the outside from the thin layer of condensation.

upload_2022-1-29_16-15-47.png

Yes.

fill a plastic jug with 100% water outside and in the morning at daybreak there will be nothing more that frost on the outside from the thin layer of condensation.

View attachment 1715861280
Thank You Sir! The Gal wants to go Doordash for some extra flow. I think it's insane, but it'll get us outta the house! Lol

Yes.

View attachment 1715861280
Well, I'm outta the Tampa St Pete area a Lil. 16 miles s of Zephyrhills... a bit cooler. But after losing 2 good Bros and Neighbors, in a fire next door, then having to dig thru the ashes for the man's Father, to have stuff for the Grandson. I'm good with no light. It's unplugged .

I know i have some antifreeze in there, just not much.

That should be fine. It won't be below freezing for long enough.
Straight distilled water I'd be concerned

You could start the car ... if it runs ... before the cold sets in deep.
It's Florida, cold won't last long.

Here on the other coast, Last week we had ice (frozen dew, not frost) on the cars. Tonight it'll be even colder :eek:
I only have about a cup of anti-freeze, a can of water pump lube and a bottle of water wetter, the rest distilled water :rolleyes: ... in the garage, non-issue. With that combo I'd be putting a drop light under there if it was outside.

Lotta raw/salt water cooled boats gonna have freeze damage this year.
Lotta folks think salt water won't freeze .

-
Back