How much did you pay for your A Body

-
i paid 800 for my 67 valiant in 2010. i had to shove 3 feet high snow to drive it home that day. but if was my first car and i wanted to drive it that day. it was from my pa's brother and when my gram said he was selling a valiant i was like "what the hell is a valiant?" lol but im glad i got it because it made me a mopar guy :D he wanted 800 for it because he had the engine rebuild and thats all he wanted for the car, the 800 from the engine.

paid 3,000 in 91 for my H code demon, was missing the intake, carb, exh manifolds, buckets, rear seat, belts, gas tank, and a lot of little stuff, had been sitting from 1980 with a spun rod, got about 9,000 in it as she sits

Attachments

• old demon 002 (465x640).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 556
  • old demon 004.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 565
  • securedownload (640x480).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 560
I bought it for $1000 from a guy in San Diego (thats him in the pic) in '05 as a birthday present to myself. Even though he advertised it for sale, it took a lot to get him to sell it to me. He owned it for 6 years and talked about it like it was his son. He could tell I was a car guy and would take care of it, so he took the money.

I've put roughly another $1400 into it (new tires, tune up, brakes, exhaust, interior redo, replacing missing/worn parts, etc).

I started selling parts on eBay to help finance its restoration and have managed to get it all back, plus a few extra bucks toward future paint and a new drive train. So, essentially, I have almost nothing into it at this point. My insurance policy puts its worth at $6,500 so I'm happy.

Turned out nice. Great job.

Went to look at my car for a friend who herd it was for sale in my town, I looked at it, drove it and called him telling him it was a nice car, but he had already changed his mind about the car ... ?? ... I dunno??.. Anyway I ask if he would mind If I went ahead and bought it.......long story short, 5000 dollars and 14 years later I still have the car. A real 340, 4bbl, auto, Petty Blue Demon ....( same in avatar )

Back in 2005 when I found the DartCharger hardtop outside San Fransisco I paid $2500 for it + shipping to Sweden. What I have put into it since will be a well kept secret. In 2007 I found my convertible wich was an ok car with work done but alot more work needed to be made to get a car out of it. I paid 15K for that one. After some more money, the car is ok except for the engine bay area which will be done when I get the last parts for the a/c unit.

Attachments

• Dart Charger sida.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 564
  • 005.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 546
  • Moparbilder 010.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 551
  • Bild 261.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 561
I was 11 and a guy in our town had it. My dad drove by and asked him how much? He said I will take 200 bucks and I laughed. I said do you know how many yards it would take for me to mow for the 200 bucks? So I didn't get it but I still wanted her. Daddy would drive by thr car just so I could see it. But then one day out of the blue my uncle called me up and asked if I wanted the car still? I said yea buddy. Then he said lets go get it. He said I just traded for it and I'll give it to you for helping me last summer. So there it is I paid nothing for it and sometimes I think I still paid to much for her. But she is a pretty little 69 swinger that I have had for 21 years.

I have a 67 barracuda that I paid 1800 for .Rough condition but it has a running 340 with a 4speed in it. The other one is a 69 in good shape but has a bad engine that I traded a 95 jeep for. Going to do the engine swap hopefully this fall.

Just bought this $700 318 - A/C - 3 speed on the floor

Attachments

• 3n03k93oa5Z55U45X2b74f646d775cd5f1d0f.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 538
Sadly , no pics...

Papa paid for My first, $150 (blown 7 1/4 diff) 65 Formula S,

My second (still have & will be buried in) $275 (in 1978 $).

Oh! duh --- 67 fastback 'premium' coded car = 2bbl, 904, A/C, P/S,
2 speed wipers, Under hood lamp (lmao)...

got my 74 duster for my 16th birthday as a gift from my dad back in 06 came with a stout 360 727 and 8 3/4 rear w/ 3;23 GEARS paid 1200 for it drove it from san fran to san jose no problems at all had minor rust but nothing not fixable . couldnt really tell over the garbage paint job rust was all under neath oh interior was just done as well right before i bought it.not only my first a body but first car ever thanks DAD love YOU RIP :-| its now 410 stroker witha 4 /speed and 323 sure grip wainting on paint and suspension work

heres a pic the day i got it in san francisco then a pic of it how it sits today

and my 67 belvedere with a mild 383 i bought last december for 900 bucks:yawinkle:

That is a remarkable job you've done on the Duster!!! You should be very proud!! You sure have done your Dad's memory proud and I hope you enjoy many miles with him in the passenger seat of life, he must've been very proud of his son as well!!! Geof

OK, heres the story behind Nella's Cuda "Sunfish". It had been sitting next to the original owners house since 1992, freshly painted, rebuilt motor and new front seat covers and top. I watched it for a couple years and stopped several times to inquire about it but could never catch anybody at home. One day I finally caught up with the owner and asked if it was for sale. He told me he had been offered $5K for it several times but turned down all offers. I told him what I would like to do with the car, and offered him $2500.00 for it and that it was a cash offer. I didn't even get home and there was a message on my machine (before cell phones) fromhim saying that he and his wife talked it over and they were sure that it was going to a good home and that I could buy it. I took Nella and Mrs. cosgig over to have a look and meet the owners and the gentleman had it out in the driveway running, he had just spent $$$ tuning it up so I could hear it run. The brakes were locked up, but when I went back with my trailer, we pulled it up with a chain and the brakes freed up on the ramps. Of course over the years we have upgraded many things, but I have been true to my plan...this is Nella's car and she makes all the decisions on what to do, where to go with it and when to drive it. We have been by the original owners house with it many times and they always like to see it, come out and take pictures and sit in it and relive their time with the car. They know they did the right thing for the car and it's in good hands!!! Thats the story of "Sunfish"!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_2295.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 546
My first car was a 65 Dart so when I turned 50 I had to have another. I liked the looks of the 64's but my 66 showed up on E-bay and only 50 miles away. I went to look at it before I bid on it and was interested in buying it. I was the highest bidder but didn't meet reserve. I called the seller and he said his reserve was $10,000. I just about hung up the phone but he said he would sell it for "considerably less". We agreed on $3500 and I picked it up that afternoon. I put about $1500 in it to make it road worthy and drove it for 5 years without any problems. 2 winters ago I pulled the engine/trans out and went through them. I enjoy it every chance I get. Little by little I improve it as time and money allow. I am getting closer to paint and body. I may do that in stages again as time and $$$$'s allow.

Attachments

• randalia3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 511
  • Pic268.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 511
My now ex-girlfriends uncle had a 74 Dart Sport sitting around his yard that I just fell in love with from day 1. He had no intentions of selling it at the time and laughed whenever I bugged him what he would want for it. 4 years later things changed and he offered it up for 2500 bones. Needed some work, only had a coat of primer at the time (still does actually) but the body was pristine. For a northern MN car that's a pretty damn good find. I scooped it up and am 2/3 of the way through a complete restoration. By next summer I'll have touched every single nut/bolt on the car. My first project so I'm pretty happy about what I've done. Now the only problem is I'm hooked....

My first A body was a 69 340 Swinger. Got home from the service in Jan. 1974 needed a car. My cousin had this Dart for sale for $1150. He said hell for my cousin the price is $1000. During noonhour he went home got the 2 back tires. it had snowtires on it, wintertime in Nebraska, and the title and I wrote him a check.

man nice price sorry bout ur dad tho never sell that car man

Hey thanks he was sick and was gonna fly out to California to help with the current build but couldn't fight no longer so everything I do on this car I do for him and will never sell definitely a keeper

In 1967 I paid 3,250.00 for my Barracuda. I still have it!

Attachments

• New car 1967.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 500
In August '89 I gave $800 for my 1st car , a '72 Swinger in factory-applied Hemi Orange . 318 / 904 , disc brakes , a/c , etc. , etc.
( LH23G2B307811 , Ca. Lic # 337 GBL )

In February '92 , I paid $70 ( that's right , seventy dollars ) for a '73 Duster , which was TB3 Basin Street Blue ( a/k/a , Petty Blue ) .
318 / 727 ( factory upgrade , per build sheet ) , a/c , AM-FM , etc. , etc.
( VL29G3B375353 , Ca. Lic. # 726 HYH )

800 bucks back in 93 or so. Drove by it and saw it for sale outside a muffler shop. Saw the "S" and my eye started to twitch. Asked the guy calmly out the window if it ran, he said "yeah", I told him I would be back in 3 hours with the cash. Gave him the cash, he gave me the title and the keys and I told him I would be back tonight to pick it up. I drove it home on 5 cylinders and about 3 gallons of gas I brought from home. Put in 8 plugs, new oil and points and it ran like a champ. Explained to the wife that I knew "her" first and "you took me for better or for worse..." paint, interior and 6 motors later, I still got it, and the wife...!
Image16.jpg

That is a remarkable job you've done on the Duster!!! You should be very proud!! You sure have done your Dad's memory proud and I hope you enjoy many miles with him in the passenger seat of life, he must've been very proud of his son as well!!! Geof

Hey thanks that means a lot to me I really appreciate it. I sure will have many miles with him .

$4500.00 last Christmas for my 67 Formula S 273 4 speed car.Mostly solid basket case with all new interior.

Attachments

• Formula%20S%20#1%20001.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 491
I paid $4500 6 years ago(just a guess at least 6 maybe 7) it was just about as it sits...all I added were the stripes, Wing, and rims to offset the red...when I got it it was nice but just lacked something..I think the stripes,wing,rims set it off nicely. Its a #'s matching 340/727 73 Dart Sport 340.

this was the car(id added the wing in this Pic I believe but it didnt have it on when I got it..that was my first addition ) when I got it for $4500
216010.jpg

this was the car when I got the stripes,rims,wing on it....some people thought I got a whole different car lol
543258.jpg

as it sits not including the purchase price i have about $$6500 in it give or take $500

free from my grandfather in Alabama. It was their second car and he had been asking my dad if he wanted to restore it. My dad kept saying no until I found out about it my freshman year in high school and said I wanted it. So sophmore year, we went down for thanksgiving with a set of 14x5 wheels (got the tires while we were there) and he had it out in the drive way.

7618_103905176290011_100000115862640_110479_2683880_n.jpg

The interior when I bought it and we just put the dinky little 13s that were on it in the back.
7618_103905186290010_100000115862640_110482_6762694_n.jpg

and now
47519_156404474373414_100000115862640_528286_1486223_n.jpg

I'm too poor to buy rear tires and wheels, plus we have to fab up a couple of brackets for the panhard bar that needs to go in first and pull the rear end over 1/2 inch so the side you see won't drag on the lip and the inside.

I've gone up 2 inches in dia in front to 15s, 1 in back (14), and I eventually want to put 17s on it.

I was working with my father at a Mopar restoration shop with my father bake in the fall of 2009. We go to work and there in the back lot behind the gates was this red Plymouth. I was like what the hell is a Valiant???? But I fell in love with it. It sat back there for a couple of months until I couldn't stand it any more ( it was heart breaking to see it out in the weather, rain, snow, and all) and asked my boss about it. Knowing this was going to be my first car and that he wanted to get me firmly into Mopars he said "$300 and it's yours" :love7: I paid half right then and there, took it home and over the next few weeks paid the rest off. The car was all original but it had been side swiped sometime back in the '80's destroying the whole passenger side of the car excepted the front fender. The car is a factory red with red interior, 225 /6 , auto, AM radio, 2 door sedan car. Very bear bones, AM radio, rubber floor mat and power windshield washer bottle, thats it. It is now in the process of being fully restored with a 413 bb, 4 speed and 3.91 sure grip 8 3/4.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 8.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 486
  • 6.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 467
  • 5.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 474
  • 4.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 510
  • 3.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 479
  • 2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 470
  • 1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 477
The story of our Barracuda is nice and simple. There was a member on here, cudacrazy, was selling it. Well we didn't have the money to buy another car but we did have my great grand mothers '51 Pontiac Chieftain 4 door strait 8. The car has never done anything for us so out of curiosity we asked if he would strait up trade. He said "Sure, never owned a Pontiac before so it'd be a new experience". He was a very nice man that owned it and I actual believe he only traded it because he was so impressed with what I was doing to my Valiant. He threw in $500 to go towards my Valiant which ended up being used for my floor pan. So if you are reading this cudacrazy, I want to thank you again :rock:

This Barracuda is a little odd. Its a factory 273 Commando 4 speed car but what makes it so unique is that its NOT a Formula S. This car is as bare bones as you can get, Am radio and manuel drums with "13 steels and poverty caps. On top off this its a factory red car!!! And the same color as my Valiant, PP1 bright red. :colors: It still retains its original drive train.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 467
  • 8.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 7.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 509
  • 6.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 480
  • 5.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 480
  • 4.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 457
  • 3.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 494
  • 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 470
  • 1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 502
  • 10.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 478
70 Duster was $7100, bone stock slant car, rebuilt engine, trans and rear, car only gone 26,000 miles since 97 when the work was done. Every single service record is with the car since it was new, worth it IMO.

73 Duster, $3700.00, maybe a bit much for its condition, but the tag decodes with some nice options. Its a Space Duster with rear electric defogger, Heavy Duty cooling with 26 in radiator, AC(gone) Bucket seats, console auto, racing sport mirrors, black paint with black vinyl canopy top (gone), 10 in disk brakes, with 8 3/4 Sure Grip with a 318, its a California car, but not sure if its the original motor. It needs work, trunk floor is rusty and it needs a headliner and carpet, but i can use the Sure Grip and the disk brakes on the Coronet if the car pisses me off.

69 Coronet (Bee Clone) $12,999, most of the work was already done, just needs the interior finished, standard dash replaced with Ralley Dash, and my rear bumper replaced.

41 Chrysler Street Rod $26,000 The guy has $90,000 into the car, mostly fabbing the 37 Chevy nose to the Chrysler body, and the paint. 10 coats of Candy Apple, 10 coats of Candy Silver, and 3 coats of clear, the owner said it took 36 days for the paint job. Its getting a new interior at the end of the season, its sooooooooooooooo dated, the car was restored 20 yrs ago, and has sat for 5 yrs.

-
Back