Is there such a thing as a 5000 stall converter that is streetable ?

-
Regardless of whether there's a place on the street to use it, if you race the car, there's still a huge benefit. There's nothing that says you cannot use a good tight 5K converter on a dual purpose car.

Maybe the question you should ask is there a street where you can use that 5k stall for all it's glory ?
I suppose the same question could be asked of bigger cams, single plane intakes, big carburetors, gears........................

IMHO, if you have to ask, you don't get it.

I suppose the same question could be asked of bigger cams, single plane intakes, big carburetors, gears........................

I run a 528" Hemi with over a .800 custom 55MM roller bearing cam, tunnel Ram and two 1050's with 4:10 gears on the street.

I run a 528" Hemi with over a .800 custom 55MM roller bearing cam, tunnel Ram and two 1050's with 4:10 gears on the street.
You obviously get it! LOL

nc_ohc=huXIASTqGkIAX_4Cv24&_nc_ht=scontent.flex1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Street able goes as far as your imagination and pocketbook will allow.

"Streetable" is also defined by some extent by geography. What's considered streetable here in a small town of, say 15,000 people, with only a few stoplights might be way too much in NYC or Chi-Town. When I ordered my solid roller cam I told the guy at Lunati, "It doesn't need to be Big Apple streetable. Think 'Little House on the Prarie' streetable." It made him chuckle, but he got it.

Gotta be honest, reading this thread has somewhat made me reconsider converting my '82 Imperial to a 4-speed. I've got time to think, though--that car's still three projects away.

I gotta meet up and see this car sometime - talk about a street car!! (I'm near Detroit too)

"Streetable" is also defined by some extent by geography. What's considered streetable here in a small town of, say 15,000 people, with only a few stoplights might be way too much in NYC or Chi-Town. When I ordered my solid roller cam I told the guy at Lunati, "It doesn't need to be Big Apple streetable. Think 'Little House on the Prarie' streetable." It made him chuckle, but he got it.

Gotta be honest, reading this thread has somewhat made me reconsider converting my '82 Imperial to a 4-speed. I've got time to think, though--that car's still three projects away.
82 Imperial you say? Pictures?

I'd love to see what you have in your dedicated race car lol

Exactly. Since most all stock cars ever made can obliterate the speed limit, what's the point to hot rodding at all, right?

6PKRTSE's car, is what us goof-balls will run on the street around Motown. Too much, is almost enough.

There are several everyday of the week. Just depends on which one I decide to go to.

I have dynamic 5000 stall mechnaical diode 8” converter in my car. Drivability is better than I ever expected. When I sit in traffic and remove my foot from brake pedal, the car slowly creeps forward. It’s manual shift car and it actually behaves better with this converter than my previous combo did with 3200 stall. When I was shopping around for converter everyone was telling me that smaller diameter converter wlll be better on the street. I initially wanted 9”…

-
Back