Low Dollar 318 Grand Finale Exit !!

-
I think if I go headers, I'll go Dougs. After putting them on my '76 Duster, I cannot imagine doing anything else. #5 & 7 plugs are easy to get at, I swapped starters in 20 minutes with the header on, and no steering components go through the headers. But I am considering Doug's.....
I cannot argue that they are really nice. I had some on my 65 Valiant years ago. Word of warning. As I remember, there's one or two slip fit tubes on the driver's side. Coat them liberally with "something" that is super high heat......Permatex makes an ultra high heat brake grease......it's ceramic based and purple. If you don't do that, you will never get them back apart if you go to remove them for whatever reason.

I cannot argue that they are really nice. I had some on my 65 Valiant years ago. Word of warning. As I remember, there's one or two slip fit tubes on the driver's side. Coat them liberally with "something" that is super high heat......Permatex makes an ultra high heat brake grease......it's ceramic based and purple. If you don't do that, you will never get them back apart if you go to remove them for whatever reason.
Isn't that the TTI's ?? My Dougs I put on my '76 were one piece

Isn't that the TTI's ?? My Dougs I put on my '76 were one piece
Oh I'm sorry. I have early A burned into my brain. That's how they are on the early cars. I keep forgetting we're talkin about a Duster here. Yeah, for you I think they are one piece. Do it. You won't regret it.

And hay, you might just find yourself leavin that little 318 in there. lol

• factory cast intake in my possession
  • carb in my possession
  • This will return the low dollar 318 back to it's state of origin.
2024 schedule isn't out yet at our track. They do have the "HangoverFest" on Jan 1st... with our weather this is always extremely doubtful.
But I'm pushing the car to be ready on opening day, which is usually April. Remember, I am working outside in the elements, and we get lots of snow and sub-zero temps. :)

I’m excited to see the results! I’ve got an identical setup to your original 318 build, but in a 66 Dart GT convertible. Gonna run some compression tests, pull the heads and see if the block/pistons/rings are in good enough shape to do a similar build to yours. I’m a little doubtful though, it a 1971 318 of unknown history, and I think it’s pretty tired. Might end up snagging a 360 instead and working with that. We shall see! But if I can use the 318, the performance you got out of yours will be plenty for my drop-top cruiser. Thanks for posting all of this, it entertaining as hell, and super informative for guys like me with limited experience building, and a lower budget.

I’m excited to see the results! I’ve got an identical setup to your original 318 build, but in a 66 Dart GT convertible. Gonna run some compression tests, pull the heads and see if the block/pistons/rings are in good enough shape to do a similar build to yours. I’m a little doubtful though, it a 1971 318 of unknown history, and I think it’s pretty tired. Might end up snagging a 360 instead and working with that. We shall see! But if I can use the 318, the performance you got out of yours will be plenty for my drop-top cruiser. Thanks for posting all of this, it entertaining as hell, and super informative for guys like me with limited experience building, and a lower budget.
I appreciate it. Sounds like you have a fun build in the process!

Are you going to run 1/4 mile or 1/8? If 1/8 , 4.88 and convertor at same time it would knock off a second if I had to guess

Are you going to run 1/4 mile or 1/8? If 1/8 , 4.88 and convertor at same time it would knock off a second if I had to guess
Our track is a 1/4, but at times they only run the 1/8.

Looks like your channel is getting a decent growth, keep up the good work, by the show with the most views looks like you need to roller brush more cars :)

Looks like your channel is getting a decent growth, keep up the good work, by the show with the most views looks like you need to roller brush more cars :)
Thanks. I just show what's current in my car life !!!

Nice work. You forgot the air cleaner. lol

Ok, got two of the three remaining components. I have a few months to land the 3rd component. Now, it's finding time to work in between the cold and snow whenever the breaks come. Working out in the elements in the winter isn't as appetizing as it was 30 years ago :D

I like the 318s many years ago I broke my 340 and had access to a bone stock 318 out of a 70 Charger that was being converted to a big block .We didn't do much except a stock 340 cam it went 14.00s in my 68 Dart with 3.91s and 10 inch converter , trans was and still to this day a 904 with a manual reverse pattern valve body. We put a fresh set of 360 heads with a good valve job and it went 13.20s the biggest change was the converter I swapped from the 10 inch to an 8 inch race converter and it went 12.60s still with 3.91 gears , I wish I had never sold that motor. I have a 318 (5.2 Magnum ) motor in my 92 Dodge short bed regular cab 4x2 original owner pickup ,the motor has never been out of the truck : it has M/P hi perf. computer , shorty headers , 3 inch single exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler , throttle body spacer , ram air system , lock up converter redone by Ultimate ( lowered my 60 ft. times 2/10ths : 2.20s to 2.00s ) , M/P shift kit in the 518 trans, swapped the 3.55 open rear to 4.10s with a sure grip , swap meet traction bars , Rancho B body shocks , M/T drag radials : I just took 100 lbs out of it recently and it ran its best E.T. ever a few weeks ago 14.98 @ 88.75 mph, 2.05 60ft . Over the winter I am considering one of the Hughes modified throttle bodies in my quest to get even further in the 14s .

864B2D31-EB3D-4B45-8529-25075D161238.jpeg

E33480F6-2E84-4D7A-8938-60095E262D63.jpeg

Last edited:
save yourself some money;
the Wallace says your Duster
at 3300pounds is making 216.64hp, to make 14.95ET:
and best ET is predicted to be 14.44.
Best ET usually involves SuperStock suspension.
which usually means, opening up your wallet really wide.
But you know, it's only a calculator, so
Let's find out!

Oh I see your gonna add some go-fast goodies,
Happy HotRodding

Let's find out!

Happy HotRodding
Wallace always works for me. Good luck Will, keep us updated. The right gear and converter will pick up any combo.

Let's find out!

Happy HotRodding

Wallace always works for me. Good luck Will, keep us updated. The right gear and converter will pick up any combo.
I only promise one thing: "It will go faster.... " I don't know by how much, but it will go quicker than the 14.9's.

I like the 318s many years ago I broke my 340 and has access to a bone stock 318 out of a 70 Charger that was being converted to a big block .We didn't do much except a stock 340 cam it went 14.00s in my 68 Dart with 3.91s and 10 inch converter , trans was and still to this day a 904 with a manual reverse pattern valve body. We put a fresh set of 360 heads with a good valve job and it went 13.20s the biggest change was the converter I swapped from the 10 inch to an 8 inch race converter and it went 12.60s still with 3.91 gears , I wish I had never sold that motor. I have a 318 (5.2 Magnum ) motor in my 92 Dodge short bed regular cab 4x2 original owner pickup ,the motor has never been out of the truck : it has M/P hi perf. computer , shorty headers , 3 inch single exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler , throttle body spacer , ram air system , redone lock up converter ( lowered my 60 ft. times 2/10ths : 2.20s to 2.00s ) , M/P shift kit in the 518 trans, swapped the 3.55 open rear to 4.10s with a sure grip , swap meet traction bars , Rancho B body shocks , drag radials : I just took 100 lbs out of it recently and it ran its best E.T. ever a few weeks ago 14.98 @ 88.75 mph, 2.05 60ft . Over the winter I am considering one of the Hughes modified throttle bodies in my quest to get even further in the 14s .

View attachment 1716172773

View attachment 1716172783
Swap that flowmaster for a Dynomax Ultraflow and see if it picks up.

Many people love the flowmaster sound. However, they are not near the top of any of the best flowing muffler tests. Being a single exhaust I would imagine it could use maximum flow.

Many people love the flowmaster sound. However, they are not near the top of any of the best flowing muffler tests. Being a single exhaust I would imagine it could use maximum flow.
You are right about the single exhaust .. I am not to worried about the sound just performance .I have Flowmasters on my race car also since I slow the car down for the class I run ultimate performance isn’t to important but I was considering changing them anyhow to stainless. looks like I will be doing some research .. Thanks for the tip !

0F03A524-BC3C-4F6A-92B6-51819306DC81.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back