Massive oil leaks.

-
I guess they ran it on the Dyno until it stopped making noise? Said all was good and off it went? That noise would be obvious as hell.

I guess they ran it on the Dyno until it stopped making noise? Said all was good and off it went? That noise would be obvious as hell.

One or two slaps of the crank to make the clearance doesn't count as and important noise since it went away so fast ha! But in all seriousness, how long would it have ran and made noise until it cleared?

Well, it's entirely possible someone other than the master put it together. Hired help can really hurt a reputation. But it's also possible this was just a series of "whoops" - we're all human. At that point it goes back to how does the shop handle the issues assuming the owner allows them to.

Any chance the pan got smacked against the pavement and shoved the pickup into the rotating assembly?

This builder should retire. He Knows nothing about Mopar and thinks I should be happy to have an engine built by him. Joe Sherman Racing knows nothing about Mopar. Here's what I got for $13k what about all the metal debris in my new build?

1. Valley pan leaks. Builder didn't silicone side walls of valley pan. Why was it leaking?
2. Front seal blew out of $10 timing chain cover. Builder blames cover.
3. Oil pan and main seal leaks. Builder didn't use the gaskets. Silicone only.
4. I Pulled oil pan to find a razor blade, front seal spring, oil pickup damaged by crank and metal debris on magnetic drain plug. See images
5. Only one tiny $5 breather installed on 512 CI
No ventilation.
6. 440 source rockers installed. Hope they hold up.
7. Victor manifold doesn't quite fit a street car maybe I should cut a hole into hood.
8. I provided windage tray and didn't clear crank so builder just decided to close things up. No research just said screw it tray doesn't fit.

Kenny Etter from Bob Mazzolini racing had to make things right and clean up the mess. He is a stud Mopar guy.

View attachment image-75727488.jpg

View attachment image-930395912.jpg

I just came across this thread and read all that is still here. From early on I thought you might have had excessive crankcase pressure building up without that windage tray and running a stroker crank. I would imagine that there'd be a lot of added pressure if your crank was getting into the oil. 440 SOURCE does sell a windage tray designed to clear their stroker cranks.

I guess I must have missed out on a lot of comments that were deleted. That's OK. I'd just as soon avoid the drama anyway. Did you have a chance to see how the bearings and cylinder walls look? Hopefully you can get through this without new machine work.

$13,000 and this is what you got! i'd be finding me an "attorney" to get your money back. your engine builder or who ever built it doesn't know jack **** about building motors. all that crap is just unacceptable. keep taking pics of everything for the attorney from the beginning to the end of disassembly.

An oil leak this massive wont come from CrankCase not being ventilated. You have a bad OIL SENDNG UNIT. Start the car and you will see it GUSHING from one of the 2 oil holes behind the intake UP TOP.
It has dripped down, so you think it's the Rear Main. It is really a wonder you didnt have an engine fire or even lose your motor all together. GOOD LUCK!
:banghead:

An oil leak this massive wont come from CrankCase not being ventilated. You have a bad OIL SENDNG UNIT. Start the car and you will see it GUSHING from one of the 2 oil holes behind the intake UP TOP. It has dripped down, so you think it's the Rear Main. It is really a wonder you didnt have an engine fire or even lose your motor all together. GOOD LUCK! :banghead:
Negative. Crankcase pressure may or may not have been the issue with all the leak points. Bad assembly is the real problem here. The sending unit has never been a leak point. The engine is dry as a bone now. Had to bring it to a Mopar professional and fix on my dime. $$$$

Wow! Guess the quilting bee was wrong. Bad build, not bad install. Mad Dart owes you the cost your your build complete. Take a closer look at the oil pickup up tube, if that wears all the way through, you'll have much bigger issues than oil leaks. WTF is with the clear kitchen and bath silicone on the cap? There's a gasket kit for that. No windage tray because it wouldn't fit with the stroker crank? BS! find one that will fit! Sheesh. What is Joe Sherman Racing's stance on all of this?

Wow! Guess the quilting bee was wrong. Bad build, not bad install. Mad Dart owes you the cost your your build complete. Take a closer look at the oil pickup up tube, if that wears all the way through, you'll have much bigger issues than oil leaks. WTF is with the clear kitchen and bath silicone on the cap? There's a gasket kit for that. No windage tray because it wouldn't fit with the stroker crank? BS! find one that will fit! Sheesh. What is Joe Sherman Racing's stance on all of this?

Well you would not think that an engine builder with a reputation like Joe Sherman would be doing work like that is all I can say. I have never used the guy & never would. It seems that he did screw up if this is the same motor. Lol

That is some **** work is all I can say, Razor blade in the Oil Pan?? That is some bullshit besides what else has went on..... DAMN

Well, it's entirely possible someone other than the master put it together. Hired help can really hurt a reputation. But it's also possible this was just a series of "whoops" - we're all human. At that point it goes back to how does the shop handle the issues assuming the owner allows them to.

Good point. I had an engine builder in my area who was very good. He did lots of motors of all brands and types that all were sucessful. All of a sudden, myself and other guys had problems with his work. We found out that he was trying to teach his mentally handicapped son to do the work. He retired soon after the poop hit the fan. We are all Human, and stuff happens.

Good point. I had an engine builder in my area who was very good. He did lots of motors of all brands and types that all were sucessful. All of a sudden, myself and other guys had problems with his work. We found out that he was trying to teach his mentally handicapped son to do the work. He retired soon after the poop hit the fan. We are all Human, and stuff happens.

And how you handle that stuff that happens is the difference between good and bad business practices.

And how you handle that stuff that happens is the difference between good and bad business practices.

100% correct. Your situation is unfortunate but not uncommon. At least you took it to someone who will get it fixed. Mistakes happen as do substandard parts. I've had to pay thousands over the years when something I put together had issues and I consider myself fortunate when those involved give me the opportunity to make it right.

I thought I had a massive oil leak once on an engine and it turned out to be my fault. Left the oil cap off...at full power it slung oil out. What I learned from that is 1-2 quarts can cover a lot quickly and look massive. I put the cap back on, cleaned up the mess, and pressed on. It was a different engine type, but what I'm getting at is it might be something simple. Check your oil filler cap gasket...was it missing? Like the idea of adding oil and seeing where it's leaking from. Appears to me you don't have the suck from one breather via pull from PVC on the other which is important to keep pressure from building. Hopefully blew an easy to replace gasket like both valve covers. Sorry you had this happen. Good luck.

Oops...sorry, not awake...only read the first page and responded. Wow! Silicone only and a razor blade??? Sorry you had a bad experience...that ain't right.

Well after I convinced the builder I didnt do anything to cause all the leaks he did send over a tech to my shop 3 different times. I provided all parts and assisted in the work. The first repair was for valley pan that was not installed correctly. The 2nd repair was for the front seal that was leaking and missing. The 3rd repair was for the pan and main cap leak. The tech refused to address the main cap and could not get the leak to stop. He instructed me to try and solve problem myself. I pulled the pan to investigate and found the pick up damaged, razor blade, and front seal spring at bottom of pan. The magnetic plug covered in metal debris. That was the final straw for me so I took to a qualified Mopar shop for repair. The car is fixed now on my dime. No telling what damage the metal debris caused.

How does it run now? Hopefully no permanent damage was done.

Running good now but a little nervous to really romp on it with the 440rockers. Lots of bad reviews on them. It's only a 6000 rpm build so hopefully they won't explode like I've heard they have done for others.

-
Back